Last DS / nvidia driver combo that didn't crash DS or cause CPU fallback?

I have 2 GTX 1080 cards in my Win10 rig and iRay rendering is totally broken for me. For many others as well I've seen.

What is the last working DS and nvidia driver revision that worked by just disableing OptiX?
And how can I get my hands on that older DS version?

Thanks!

Comments

• 430.86 has been working fairly well for me with an old 4GB not-RTX card. However, the last version of Iray that allowed users to switch off OptiX prime was 4.11.0.186 (I think), which is no longer available for download.

• DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221
    edited December 2019

430.86 has been working fairly well for me with an old 4GB not-RTX card. However, the last version of Iray that allowed users to switch off OptiX prime was 4.11.0.186 (I think), which is no longer available for download.

Thanks Richard. I did get the 430.86 driver, so that's a start.
    But 4.12 now crashes frequently with that driver.

Can't DAZ make the 4.11 or older version available, maybe via tech support? Most larger applications let you dl previous versions of their software.
    I mean, right now I have 2500 dollars worth of doorstop sitting here..

Also,  I can always be reached by PM in case someone here wants to discuss this furter.

Thanks!

Post edited by DrGonzo62 on
  • You could try a support ticket.

• I'm on 441.66 which works great for both my 1080ti and 2070.

• I'm on 441.66 which works great for both my 1080ti and 2070.

Yeah, I have 1080's though.

• You could try a support ticket.

Thangs again Richard, I'll try that.

• DrGonzo62 said:

I'm on 441.66 which works great for both my 1080ti and 2070.

I have the 441.66 studio driver as well and have not had cpu fallback yet, though I do not do animations. It shows 1080 on the list for compatibility with it:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/155648

I would try that driver.

• DrGonzo62 said:

I'm on 441.66 which works great for both my 1080ti and 2070.

I have the 441.66 studio driver as well and have not had cpu fallback yet, though I do not do animations. It shows 1080 on the list for compatibility with it:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/155648

I would try that driver.

Are you running 1080's ?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@DrGonzo62

Try the 4.12 Beta. You've got nothing to lose. FWIW, the 1080 and 1080TI have the same chipset.

• fastbike1 said:

@DrGonzo62

Try the 4.12 Beta. You've got nothing to lose. FWIW, the 1080 and 1080TI have the same chipset.

I had the latest beta and the latest drivers originally.
    Without the ability to turn off OptiX I'm in CPU fallback hell, so I have to downgrade.
    The TI series is quite a bit more expensive than the 'regular' 1080 cards, so there are difference between them or they would cost the same IMHO. Maybe it's just the firmware, I don't know.

• DrGonzo62 said:

People post all kinds of things that aren't correct. 

A driver that works in Pascal, 1080ti and 1080 are both Pascal cards, works on all of them.

I update every time a new driver comes out. Every driver since 419 something has worked fine.

• DrGonzo62 said:

A driver that works in Pascal, 1080ti and 1080 are both Pascal cards, works on all of them.

I update every time a new driver comes out. Every driver since 419 something has worked fine.

Good for you.
    I still need to turn off OptiX.

• DrGonzo62 said:
    DrGonzo62 said:

Good for you.
    I still need to turn off OptiX.

Optix cannot be turned off in DS since 4.10.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958
    I made the mistake of upgrading to 441.20 to play Star Wars Fallen Order and I've found poor rendering times (I have dual 1080tis).
  • mclaughmclaugh Posts: 221

Really? There's a checkbox for Optix Acceleration in the Advanced pane of 4.11, and I can check/uncheck it. 

• mclaugh said:

Really? There's a checkbox for Optix Acceleration in the Advanced pane of 4.11, and I can check/uncheck it. 

Doesn't do a thing. Optix is now built into iRay when using any Nvidia GPU, it uses a different module for CPU rendering. 

But go ahead and see for yourself. Render a scene with the box checked and unchecked. Compare times. The times will be inside MoE for two tests on a single machine.

• Thanks again for your help Richard.
    I've requested a 4.11 download via support ticket.

Please go ahead and close this thread as it no longer seems beneficial.

Thanks!

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

The 1080 TI has more VRam and significantly more CUDA cores,

DrGonzo62 said:
    fastbike1 said:

@DrGonzo62

Without the ability to turn off OptiX I'm in CPU fallback hell, so I have to downgrade.
    The TI series is quite a bit more expensive than the 'regular' 1080 cards, so there are difference between them or they would cost the same IMHO. Maybe it's just the firmware, I don't know.

• fastbike1 said:

DrGonzo62 said:
    fastbike1 said:

@DrGonzo62

Thanks!
    Yeah, could be a vram issue for me that cause the cpu fallbacks I'm experiencing.

• DrGonzo62 said:
    fastbike1 said:

DrGonzo62 said:
    fastbike1 said:

@DrGonzo62

Thanks!
    Yeah, could be a vram issue for me that cause the cpu fallbacks I'm experiencing.

Not a driver issue then.

• Hi Richard,
    DS 4.11.0.383 with the 430.86 driver is working well for me, with OptiX turned off.

Thanks again for your help!