DS not finding content DIM says is installed

OrcaSoulOrcaSoul Posts: 119
edited December 1969 in New Users

1:
I just downloaded and installed both DAS4.6 and the DIM.
The DIM came up with a lot of products, and I ran the install everything function.
After this ran, and it said it had installed everything using the default path [C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library], I opened DAZ4.6, went to the Content Library, went to Animals - and the only thing showing is the Squirrel.
I checked the installed list and the African Elephant shows as installed - I looked in the DAZ 3D Library Animals, only the squirrel is there.
I checked in the DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads - and the installer zip is there.
And there were several other products that were "installed", but DAZ can't see them.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2:
If I uninstall the product, will it show up in my "Ready to install" page in DIM? And the "Ready to Download" page is greyed out and won't open - does this activate if I buy a new product, and can I reset the downloads to get them again?

3:
I have all my older products in a folder "C:/3D Inventory/DAZ 3D/" - can I have DIM recognize this folder and it's contents as the source for the product files? Most of these had never been installed - when I first started with DAZ I purchased a lot of products, but never got around to installing - some of the earlier products were not that easy to install and I gave up in frustration. Now, with the DIM I hope to fix that problem and use the new videos to actually understand how to use them...but I need them installed and accessible first.
And will it install even the older products from 2006?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

OrcaSoul said:
    1:
    I just downloaded and installed both DAS4.6 and the DIM.
    The DIM came up with a lot of products, and I ran the install everything function.
    After this ran, and it said it had installed everything using the default path [C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library], I opened DAZ4.6, went to the Content Library, went to Animals - and the only thing showing is the Squirrel.
    I checked the installed list and the African Elephant shows as installed - I looked in the DAZ 3D Library Animals, only the squirrel is there.
    I checked in the DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads - and the installer zip is there.
    And there were several other products that were "installed", but DAZ can't see them.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2:
    If I uninstall the product, will it show up in my "Ready to install" page in DIM? And the "Ready to Download" page is greyed out and won't open - does this activate if I buy a new product, and can I reset the downloads to get them again?

3:
    I have all my older products in a folder "C:/3D Inventory/DAZ 3D/" - can I have DIM recognize this folder and it's contents as the source for the product files? Most of these had never been installed - when I first started with DAZ I purchased a lot of products, but never got around to installing - some of the earlier products were not that easy to install and I gave up in frustration. Now, with the DIM I hope to fix that problem and use the new videos to actually understand how to use them...but I need them installed and accessible first.
    And will it install even the older products from 2006?

1. You need to go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and list the path to your content as BOTH DAZ Studio Format and Poser Format content. DIM does not communicate with DS, so you need to make sure these paths are listed yourself.

1. Yes, if you uninstall using DIM, the ZIP file stays where it was, the item is uninstalled, and added to the Ready to Install tab (if you did not delete the ZIP) or the Ready to Download tab if you did delete the ZIP.

3. DIM can ONLY be used to install and uninstall content that it has previously downloaded. You cannot install older content that you have on your PC using DIM. It ONLY installs content bought in the DAZ 3D Store, not from any other site. Anything that you have bought from DAZ 3D over the years, should appear as 'Ready to Download' in DIM.

You can check what you have bought by going to My Account > Product Library.
  • OrcaSoulOrcaSoul Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

1. You need to go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and list the path to your content as BOTH DAZ Studio Format and Poser Format content. DIM does not communicate with DS, so you need to make sure these paths are listed yourself.

1. Yes, if you uninstall using DIM, the ZIP file stays where it was, the item is uninstalled, and added to the Ready to Install tab (if you did not delete the ZIP) or the Ready to Download tab if you did delete the ZIP.

3. DIM can ONLY be used to install and uninstall content that it has previously downloaded. You cannot install older content that you have on your PC using DIM. It ONLY installs content bought in the DAZ 3D Store, not from any other site. Anything that you have bought from DAZ 3D over the years, should appear as 'Ready to Download' in DIM.

OK, I uninstalled all the content, then the DIM itself.
    Then reinstalled the DIM.
    When it opens, I see the list of downloads & products ready to install.
    When I check the paths, the content path is set to "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library".
    I looked at my path to the "My DAZ 3D Library" which is "C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/ My DAZ 3D Library ".
    Note the use of "/Public/Public Documents/" instead of "/Public/Documents/".
    When I tried to change the path in the DIM, it selects the one with "/Public/Public Documents/" - but when I select that, it has reset to "/Public/Documents/"....
    I went into the Users folder and tried to add a "/Public/Documents/" folder - but it asked if I wanted to change the name of "/Public/Public Documents/" to"/Public/Documents/"...
    So, I set up a DAZ 3D folder in Public, and it seems to be putting everything in that folder.
    One more question - how do I change the Content path in DAZ? It's not showing any content or even the screens it should...see the attached image.
    I assume it doesn't know about the new path - where do I set that?

DAZ-Screen.jpg
    504 x 403 - 35K
    edited December 1969

From my previous post

The problem does not appear to be the content at all, it looks like a bad install. Uninstall DAZ Studio, and then reinstall it again. You should still see all of the normal screens whether your content libraries are set up or not.

Make sure that DAZ Studio is not running before you uninstall.
    edited December 1969

OK, I'll re-install DAZ - as soon as the DIM is done downloading and installing 800 some products.

• AristocAristoc Posts: 254
    edited February 2014

I just upgraded to 4.6.2 , I only use Daz Studio and I don't have any elephants or squirrels. I just have a dragon in the animal folder. Have I done something wrong?

here is my set up. Does this look correct for downloading and automatically installing ? Thank you!

das.JPG
    601 x 493 - 35K
    DIM.JPG
    777 x 507 - 57K
    Post edited by Aristoc on
    edited February 2014

From my previous post

The problem does not appear to be the content at all, it looks like a bad install. Uninstall DAZ Studio, and then reinstall it again. You should still see all of the normal screens whether your content libraries are set up or not.

Make sure that DAZ Studio is not running before you uninstall.

DIM finally finished installing almost 1,000 products...
    I uninstalled DS4.6 - both 32 & 64 bit - and then reinstalled using DIM.
    It still had the same problem.
    Next, I used the Win uninstall to make sure the older install was gone, then ran the DIM again - same problem.
    Finally I used DIM to uninstall, then downloaded the manual installer. That ran and the screens came up.
    During the install I was able to set the path to the installed content - C:/Users/Public/DAZ 3D - and now more of the content comes up.
    But still not all...
    I have a large number of Lisa's Botanical products - but only one shows in the Content Library in DS4.6.
    But the DIM says they are installed...
    Getting better...slowly...
    Any ideas?

Edit:
    I checked in the C:/Users/Public/DAZ 3D sub-folders, and only one of the Lisa's Botanical products shows up - and yet the readme's folder seems to have them all...!

Post edited by OrcaSoul on
    edited December 1969

Just wondering - if I have the installer file for a content product - like the Lisa's Botanical items I am missing - can I manually install them to the DAZ 3D path the DIM uses for the library, and have the DIM recognize them?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

OrcaSoul said:
    Just wondering - if I have the installer file for a content product - like the Lisa's Botanical items I am missing - can I manually install them to the DAZ 3D path the DIM uses for the library, and have the DIM recognize them?

DIM won't recognize them, but DS will.

edited December 1969

joeinhose said:
    I just upgraded to 4.6.2 , I only use Daz Studio and I don't have any elephants or squirrels. I just have a dragon in the animal folder. Have I done something wrong?

here is my set up. Does this look correct for downloading and automatically installing ? Thank you!

That all looks correct.

What makes you think you should have elephants and squirrels? Did you buy these items in the store?
    Dim displays, and makes available for download, any items which appear in your My Account > Product Library area. If you think you are missing content, you would need to give a bit more information.
    edited December 1969

OrcaSoul said:

Go to the 'Installed' tab in DIM. Find the Lisa's Botanical items that you can't find in DS (that DIM says are installed), right click on the item, and select 'Show Installed Files' from the drop down menu.

This will show you the Library folder that the item was installed into, and the path to each of the parts of the item.

edited February 2014

OK, I found them - they were under Poser Formats in the content screen, I was looking in DAZ Formats...
    And it does look like it's all there - although some of the locations are a bit ambiguous...

It took me some time to locate most of the Lisa's Botanical props - they seem to be spread over several locations in the Content Library.

What would be nice to see would be a Search function where the user could enter the name of a prop and have it show the location(s) of anything related to that item.

Anyway, it seems my problem is solved - thanks for the help..

Edit:
    On the Search - there IS a "Search" function at the top of the Content, but it doesn't seem to do anything...

I entered Whale in the search, I have the Orca and the Humpback, but when I hit Enter all I get is a new category in the Content Library...

search.jpg
    402 x 352 - 42K
    Post edited by OrcaSoul on
    edited December 1969

There are two ways to use the Search function in the Content Library pane.

You can search the Database for an entry, or you can search by file name as shown below. File is significantly faster than searching the database, but may return different results.

The best way to set up your content, is by using Categories. For example, you could put all of Lisa's Botanicals in the same location no matter if they are materials or props, and no matter whether they are DS or Poser content. It does not move anything on the disk, it jus creates database linkages to your content. It is well worth looking into. You can also save your own User Data so that it wont become lost if your database becomes corrupted.

Untitled-1.jpg
    894 x 478 - 134K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Your CMS isn't running -- search uses the CMS.

edited December 1969

Your CMS isn't running -- search uses the CMS.

OK...something else to learn...

edited December 1969

I'm beginning to think that the basic problem in my setup is that DAZ looks for C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/
    while my Windows uses C:/Users/Public Documents/DAZ 3D/.
    And Windows will not let me create a Documents while the Public Documents exists...

I need to reexamine this path situation...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Nothing wrong with your paths. Nothing, but your CMS is not running and it must run for Search to work. In the Windows START go to programs then the DAZ 3D section. In it Find the Content Management section, open it. Use the START CMS to run it. Then open DAZ studio. If you do not have Smart content or search your CMS is being turned off by your PC. If it runs and stays running you should be okay. If it is off check to see if your Anti Virus is turning the CMS off, or your Firewall.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Nothing wrong with your paths. Nothing, but your CMS is not running and it must run for Search to work. In the Windows START go to programs then the DAZ 3D section. In it Find the Content Management section, open it. Use the START CMS to run it. Then open DAZ studio. If you do not have Smart content or search your CMS is being turned off by your PC. If it runs and stays running you should be okay. If it is off check to see if your Anti Virus is turning the CMS off, or your Firewall.

I found the Start DAZ Content Management System, clicked on it - and nothing seems to change in DS...
    I did notice that the program it wants to start is called Net Command...does that sound correct?
    And are you saying that DS looks at the /Public Documents/ as just another name for /Documents/?
    If that's so, why did it not see the DAZ Content until I put it in a separate /DAZ 3D/ folder?

Thanks, I'll work on this tomorrow - spent the evening in a "bored" meeting...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Daz Studio will not SEE any path until you list it in the Prefs. Or have it do a search for content (which I would not do on my PC as I have folders of content for other programs I do not want DS to point to). It is not designed to auto find the paths. It comes default with the DEFAULT path predefined is all. My path is not any of those and my content works just fine. The CMS is a service that runs the Database used to search files in the content folders once they are mapped and to read metadata files for the smart content. It has been flagged as a not allowed service on many peoples PC's and that is why I suggested to check if your system is shutting it off.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

The actual name of the folder is 'Documents', DS shows the actual name while the browsing/navigating window, which is a function of the OS, adds the "Public" prefix to the name (apparently MicroSoft thinks they are being helpful). The "My Documents" folder is the same way.