DOF Question

FaveralFaveral Posts: 415
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi Guys,
I have a request. :)
Doing promo shots for my last set, it seems like the blur resulting from DOF is calculated from the distance between the camera to the handle of the object in question, vs it being between the distance between the camera and the actual polys of the object.
I'm getting renders where I get a bigger blur on distant objects than on the skydome which encompasses all the other objects,
Can we fix that?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Read the info in this Thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

DOF in DS drives me bonkers. The more I try to emulate real world camera settings, the more I want to bang my head against a wall.

Example- try emulating a real world headshot. Depending on preferance, usually 85-300mm and a 2.8 f/stop. Enjoy the massive halo of blur (which doesn't occur whatsoever in reality).

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Haven't personally experienced that problem, but I have found that DOF on a skydome can be different than expected, because it calculates it based on where the dome itself is, rather than the much greater distance where the depicted features (clouds, etc.) appear to be.

(If your new product is the one pictured in your gallery images, I'd better save up for it!)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

What JR shows here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/64218/ - is how you can set up your DOF using the Perspective cam to watch what you are doing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

DoF can be tricky...and even more so, if you know photography. It is similar to RL...but not quite the same.

One of the things I've had to 'break' myself from is thinking in terms of what the 'real' f-stops are/mean and what they are in DS. They are not really the same thing and if you approach DoF as if they were, then the results won't be as expected. Thinking of it more in terms of a DoF control parameter tends to help...