How do I load Carrara 8.5 native content?

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been using Carrara since version 4. I've just loaded a new copy of 8.5 on a new workstation. For some reason none of the classic Carrara shaders and other presets I'm used to are showing up. I used the DAZ Install manager.

Can anyone tell me how to get the presets back? I'm interested in Shaders and Scenes. Those are seriously helpful presets.

Thanks

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I've been using Carrara since version 4. I've just loaded a new copy of 8.5 on a new workstation. For some reason none of the classic Carrara shaders and other presets I'm used to are showing up. I used the DAZ Install manager.

Can anyone tell me how to get the presets back? I'm interested in Shaders and Scenes. Those are seriously helpful presets.

Thanks

copy over from C8 or go to your account and download and installed .

• edited December 1969

bigh said:

Thanks

I did download and install the native content for 8.5. It just doesn't show up when I open the app, I chose the detect runtimes option. I'm working on a secure network, so I can't just copy files off my home computer and put them on this one, but I might be able to get permission.

Were you able to download and install the native content for 8.5? Or did you just upgrade from 8?

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

Thanks

I did download and install the native content for 8.5. It just doesn't show up when I open the app, I chose the detect runtimes option. I'm working on a secure network, so I can't just copy files off my home computer and put them on this one, but I might be able to get permission.

Were you able to download and install the native content for 8.5? Or did you just upgrade from 8?

Native Content for 8.5 does not include the scenes and shaders from Native Content 8.0. You need to install that file (8.0) as well as the 8.5 native content.

• WheatpennyWheatpenny Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

The 8.0 Native Content installer installs to a directory called Carrara 8.0 by default. You need to direct it to the directory that Carrara 8.5 is installed in.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Also, some things didn't make the transition from the earlier versions of the Native Content to the newer version, so if there are models and/or shaders from the earlier version of Carrara, don't delete them until you're sure that they are still in the C8 native content.

Also as an aside, the Detect Runtime option in the Content browser is for Poser style content and not Carrara's Native Content. Carrara files would be added to the browser by what they are: Shaders are added by selecting the Add Folder option under the Shader Browser, Objects are added to the Objects Browser by using the Add Folder option, etc.

Runtimes are a file structure convention associated with Poser. DAZ also uses this file structure for some of their stuff. Not sure about the latest Genesis figures. Carrara uses what would be considered a normal file structure. My personal opinion is that a runtime is a bit of a convoluted way of doing things. It probably had a very good reason for being the way it is back in the day, but I'm not particularly interested in that.

• My CD went missing from my school classroom and needed to put software back on the computer.  I downloaded it from the DAZ site, but Presets and Landscape wizard aren't coming up as available.  Anywhere I can get the presets?  My students need them for creating Logos.

Thanks.