Does Daz3D allow custom color changes to clothing?

Uman1912Uman1912 Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm not talking abut buying different textures. DS can do so much, I'm wondering if allows for a user to do something simple like change the colors of some of the clothing items that one has purchased. Like, make a gray dress red, for instance, or make different parts of it different colors. If this is in fact doable inside DS, I'd really like to find out the procedure.

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Uman1912 said:
    I'm not talking abut buying different textures. DS can do so much, I'm wondering if allows for a user to do something simple like change the colors of some of the clothing items that one has purchased. Like, make a gray dress red, for instance, or make different parts of it different colors. If this is in fact doable inside DS, I'd really like to find out the procedure.

The color something will appear in a render depends on both the underlying texture maps (these are images, so you can edit them in an image editor if needed) and the diffuse color, which you can certainly edit in DAZ Studio. If the item has multiple material zones, you can change the diffuse color of each zone independently.

For example, if the texture maps are kind of grayish in color, and you change the diffuse color from white (which is usually the default) to red, then the clothing will turn out a dark red color.

To change the diffuse color:
    1. Select the item
    2. Go to the "Surfaces" pane
    3. Select the material zone(s) that you want to edit
    4. Find the Diffuse Color parameter in the list
    5. Change the color to the color of your choice

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You can also use Shader Presets to change items... there are many sets sold in the store and you can even make your own with some info. Then if you get really creative and need extra materials on a item you have the Polygon Edit tool that can be used to add extra surface zones to items.

As ScottL points out all color settings are done in the Surfaces Tab in DAZ Studio.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If it comes to texture changes, sometimes it's easier to change it at the source. I've done plenty of texture recolours for my own personal use by making a grayscale version of the original and using the colorize option in Photoshop. By masking out various areas, you can get very creative.

The simplest option of course is to have a gray texture to begin with and simply use the diffuse color to change the hue.