Some filters no longer work with latest version of Photoshop

I just rebuilt my PC and I was installing all my stuff. I only had the latest version of Photoshop installed. I noticed that a lot of the filters did not find Photoshop.

Filter Forge - only version 9 works in this version of Photoshop.

Free Nik Photo effects - I was able to add them manually. But now I get an error that some of my filters are not available when I start Photoshop. The Nik filters were there, but when I tried to apply some of the effects, nothing happened. The filter just closed with applying any effect.

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,328
    KevinH said:

I just rebuilt my PC and I was installing all my stuff. I only had the latest version of Photoshop installed. I noticed that a lot of the filters did not find Photoshop.

Filter Forge - only version 9 works in this version of Photoshop.

Free Nik Photo effects - I was able to add them manually. But now I get an error that some of my filters are not available when I start Photoshop. The Nik filters were there, but when I tried to apply some of the effects, nothing happened. The filter just closed with applying any effect.

I've got FF 8 and the latest version of PS, no problems.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,510

Nik Tools is working for me, I just had to move the Plugins folder from 2019 over to 2020.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

I don't upgrade it. I have done photoshop actions which require the early versions 

• I contacted FF support on this issue and was told FF8 won't work with PS2020 as a plugin.

Have to export jpeg, use FF8 as stand alone, then reimport the filtered image.

Annoying to be sure. My fault I guess for updating my PS version. 

Adobe is making it harder and harder to justify keeping it. Though I guess you can't blame them for this particular issue. I haven't checked any of my actions to see if they still work.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,328

I contacted FF support on this issue and was told FF8 won't work with PS2020 as a plugin.

Have to export jpeg, use FF8 as stand alone, then reimport the filtered image.

Annoying to be sure. My fault I guess for updating my PS version. 

Adobe is making it harder and harder to justify keeping it. Though I guess you can't blame them for this particular issue. I haven't checked any of my actions to see if they still work.

Sorry-  I guess I must not be on the latest PS version.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743

That's one of the downsides with subscriptions without a fallback license, like Adobe's.  With fallback you kan keep using the latest version which worked with your plugins and stuff if you cancel the subscription. 

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,321

Thanks for the heads up!  I just got a new machine and went from Photoshop CC2017 (I know, I know, but everything WORKED and I needed that).  So apparently when I installed Photoshop from my cloud subscription it must have been a day or so before the CC2020 because I have CC2019 and I think I am fine with that.  I had Filter Forge 8 running just fine and then two weeks later Filter Forge 9 is out and I installed that with no issues. I also use PhotoLemur and Topaz Studios with no issues on Photoshop CC2019.  Guess I'll sit tight until things settle a bit.  I do really like some of the new stuff in CC2019 though and am glad I finally upgraded. (Adobe repurposing "Shift F" drives me freakin' NUTS though. I'll have to forget over a decade of muscle memory to get over it since I am not interested in remapping my Adobe keyboard shortcuts.)

​Onward and Upward! Pressing on Regardless. 

• Filter Forge 9 works OK in Photoshop 2020. As does the Topaz Filters.

For me the Nik filters run in Photoshop 2020 but when you click OK, nothing gets applied. However, I did find a workaround of sorts on Youtube. If you make a layer of your image and convert it to a smart layer, then the Nik filters will apply to the smart layer. But it does warn you that the brushes don't work.

If the Nik filters work for you in Photoshop 2020 without having to do this, can you post what files you copied into the Plugins folder. I tried copying the .8bf and the executatble for each of the Nik filters over to the plugin folder but the still didn't work unless I created a smart filter first.

Thanks.

• I got the Google Nik filters to work again. I re-installed but had to manually Photoshop CC 2020 to the list. But even that didn't totally fix it. Color Efex Pro 4 was still unavailable. But then I added a short cut to both the 32 bit plugin and the 64 bit plugin for Color Efex Por 4 and it started working again.

• Hi! It is great when people write that Filter Forge WORKS. So satisfying. 

But still if anything doesn't work, feel free to contact us via https://www.filterforge.com/contact/ (it is the fastest way to get help).

• I can confirm that FF9 works with the new PS2020. I upgraded from FF8 and the plugin option works again.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558

I had this issue too. Photoshop had updated to 2021 and last year I had purchased Filter Forge 9. Now FF9 wont work in this newest version of Photoshop.

I contacted FF support about it and they replied that FF9 cant recognize PS 2021 because when it was made PS2021 didnt exsist yet. They said I would either have to use PS 2020 or upgrade to FF10.

So I have to either not use the PS upgraded versions and stick with 2020 or buy FF10..which will no doubt up grade to FF11 in another yr...a vicious cycle.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited March 2021

Taoz said:

That's one of the downsides with subscriptions without a fallback license, like Adobe's.  With fallback you kan keep using the latest version which worked with your plugins and stuff if you cancel the subscription. 

Actually the CreativeCloud interface allows you to check off if you'd like to keep previous versions installed when upgrading Photoshop.  

I can confirm NIK Tools works with the most recent version of Photoshop, though I can't say OP has the same version of NIK as me. I'm on the paid version, but not the most recent. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

I've always had issues with Photoshop and Filter Forge... I generally just use it as standalone, but occasionally I'll go through the hassle of messing with it for certain effects that only work as intended as selections within Photoshop...

They really, really need to make it work with other applications, because f**k Adobe's stupid subscription business model... never will I pay rent for software.

When my copy of CS3 stops working, that's it for Photoshop.

On the other hand I've happily paid for a lifetime upgrade for Filter Forge Pro because it's not a subscription.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    edited March 2021

melissastjames said:

Taoz said:

Actually the CreativeCloud interface allows you to check off if you'd like to keep previous versions installed when upgrading Photoshop. 

As long as you are subscribed yes.  But fallback license actually means that you can keep an older version (and any versions older than that you may have) you can use forever, even if you cancel the subscription, if you have been subscribed for a certain amount of time (e.g. 12 months).  https://sales.jetbrains.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207240845-What-is-perpetual-fallback-license-

Post edited by Taoz on