Character Skin problem

For some reason a couple of my character skins torso's are much darker than the rest of the skin. I've attached a screen shot to show what's happening. The log doesn't show any warnings, I'm using nvidia driver 441.20 and the first character I've noticed it on was the g8 figure Janet. Is there any way to fix this?

skin problem.jpg
1920 x 1536 - 169K

Comments

• Is that the default load? Usually soemthing like this is down to mis-matched gamma values in the Iamge Editor dialogue for one of the maps (not necessarily the base colour).

• aka214aka214 Posts: 14

Yes it's default Janet

• If you open the surfaces pane and select a surface in the Editor tab, then click the micro-thumbnail next to a mapped property you can select Image Editor from the menu. You could, for each map on the torso compare its gamma setting with the same map on one of the limbs, if you find a mis-match set the Torso to the same value as the limb and see if the issue goes away. In any event I would report it to Technical Support as a possible bug, https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

edited November 2019

If you open the surfaces pane and select a surface in the Editor tab, then click the micro-thumbnail next to a mapped property you can select Image Editor from the menu. You could, for each map on the torso compare its gamma setting with the same map on one of the limbs, if you find a mis-match set the Torso to the same value as the limb and see if the issue goes away. In any event I would report it to Technical Support as a possible bug, https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

I checked the gamma between the arms and torso with base color, translucency color, dual lobe, specular lobe 1/2, glossy layered, base bump, and top coat. They all had the same values for gamma. The only differences I can see at all on the surfaces tab is what image they use i.e. arms using arms, torso using torso.

The thing is I've rendered this character before without any problems but since then I've updated geforce drivers, updated daz studio to 4.12, and I organized my characters to make them easier to find. I reinstalled the character and it still has same issue.

Post edited by aka214 on
  • aka214 said:

If you open the surfaces pane and select a surface in the Editor tab, then click the micro-thumbnail next to a mapped property you can select Image Editor from the menu. You could, for each map on the torso compare its gamma setting with the same map on one of the limbs, if you find a mis-match set the Torso to the same value as the limb and see if the issue goes away. In any event I would report it to Technical Support as a possible bug, https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

I checked the gamma between the arms and torso with base color, translucency color, dual lobe, specular lobe 1/2, glossy layered, base bump, and top coat. They all had the same values for gamma. The only differences I can see at all on the surfaces tab is what image they use i.e. arms using arms, torso using torso.

The thing is I've rendered this character before without any problems but since then I've updated geforce drivers, updated daz studio to 4.12, and I organized my characters to make them easier to find. I reinstalled the character and it still has same issue.

What happens if you seelct both the torso and a limb surface and scroll through the list of properties - do any of them show their values as <?> (aside from those that show maps on the main button isntead of a colour picker)?

aka214 said:
    What happens if you seelct both the torso and a limb surface and scroll through the list of properties - do any of them show their values as <?> (aside from those that show maps on the main button isntead of a colour picker)?

No everything shows values I tried with face, legs, torso, arms all selected at the same time and no <?> at all.

• aka214 said:
    aka214 said:

No everything shows values I tried with face, legs, torso, arms all selected at the same time and no <?> at all.

Then I'm going to go back to thinking it's a gamma value - of course it clould be a texture that is slightly different for some reason, but that would show in Texture Shaded preview too.

• Tested it.  Disabled all the normal materials and that weirdness goes away.

Tested it.  Disabled all the normal materials and that weirdness goes away.

I just tried it and that worked.

Thank you guys for helping me I don't think I would have figured that out.

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

What does "disabled the normal materials" mean?

i too am a member of the harlequin Janet club.

• Aabacus said:

Presumably in the Surfaces pane's Editor tab select (at least) the Skin surfaces on the left and then click the Normal Map button in the list of properties and select None from the menu

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403
    Aabacus said:

Presumably in the Surfaces pane's Editor tab select (at least) the Skin surfaces on the left and then click the Normal Map button in the list of properties and select None from the menu

I found it and, as noted, it fixed the issue. However, we're left without a proper normal map. Will the author normally issue an update? I've not seen many bugs like this so I don't know what the protocol is.

• It needs to be reproted to Daz, then they can fix it/get a fix from the vendor as required.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2019

I reported this back in December 2018. I see there hasn't been much progress made fixing those normal maps yet. :)

(just for reference my ticket #287837)

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

It is not just Janet. I reported several characters many months ago, and nothing has been fixed. Yes, it is the same normal map problem. There are several forum threads about this issue. It keeps popping up.