Resetting all settings and clean uninstall/re-install

amyw12amyw12 Posts: 63

Hi,

I have been away from DAZ Studio due to being discouraged by settings in my program that I just can't seem to reset. This means certain sliders are continuing to activate even when I don't want them to. The hidden properties, eJCM or something, if I recall. They keep activating with my Genesis 8 Female base figures. These are the hidden "corrective" sliders for models such as Aiko 8, etc.

I have tried uninstalling, removing all files, using a new library, and even clearing the system registry. But it always installs the studio with the same settings for the G8F figure. I even tried making a new account and installing the program with this new account.

Any advice?

Thanks

Post edited by amyw12 on

Comments

• I would try to uninstall the Gen-8 starter essentials... BUT... I think it will leave a modified version of the base-model behind, which may be where the issue is related. Daz allows other things to modify that specific file, where things can haunt you, forever. :P

I honestly forget the specific location and file that I am thinking-of, but I am sure that someone will chime-in with the specific file that needs to ALSO be removed, which the uninstaller may not remove or replace, if it is installed after uninstalling it.

The issue continues because the library is not uninstalled when you uninstall Daz. All those files, and some settings-files will remain, in the event that you restore daz, and do not want to lose your settings. These lingering files are in various locations... By default, non-library user settings are in your user-folder for apps, or in the "documents" folder, in a daz sub-folder.

There are options to reset many parts within Daz, but you have to go to at-least three areas to reset various things. (Rendering settings, GUI settings and generic program Settings. The render settings are found in the render window area. The rest are in the normal "settings" menu area, I believe, in one or two tabs on that page.)

• kgrosserkgrosser Posts: 141

I had/have the very same issue, although with G3F. I did nothing purposedly, but some morphs out of a sudden were loaded to the default character an all i can asume is this happened on one of the strikingly frequent CoDs Daz is suddenly suffering since the last update to 4.12. Delting and reinstalling base character and officail morph files didn't help delting the characters that carry those morph sliders temporarily threw a warning of missing files everytime I load a scene. So, in order to not compromise all my custom build characters and scenes I did not pull the trigger to completely remove DAZ from my machine.

So here my advise:

Fast, but only temporarily: if you want to start from scratch with a base character, simply restore figure shape under edit/figure/geometry.

Proper but tedious way: load the affected base character into a new scene, track those morphs one by one,  edit and make sure the default and current values are set to 0, and thensave them as a new morph asset which will update the existing one.

Half way through on my end, meanwhile, but still a nuissance that there seems to be no way to simply restore all base characters morphs to zero as default.

• DS loads the morphs with their set default values. if thsoe are non-zero that is how they load, reinstalling the base has nothing to do with that.

It should be possible to write a script that will identify non-zero defaults and offer to restore them - though it would be need to be used with care as some properties may need to be non-zero as part of an ERC chain. It's on my to-do list, but that's a very long list and things rarely get done.

• kgrosserkgrosser Posts: 141
    edited November 2019

It's on my to-do list, but that's a very long list and things rarely get done.

We can meet on this one :D

What would do the trick if someone from the official chain would introduce  to save ALL morphs as new assets with current values after hitting the restore shape option.

Post edited by kgrosser on
  • amyw12amyw12 Posts: 63
    edited November 2019
    Thank you for all these replies! Unfortunately I have done that resetting the sliders thing manually so many times and each time they come back after I reload the program, rendering my work resetting them useless! I'm sorry for being a little emotional about DAZ, I promise it isn't anyone's fault here. I just have so much art I want to create but end up hitting a wall being frustrated by this slider garbage!
    Post edited by amyw12 on