Hidden geometry in Tool Settings reverts to visible every time the scene is reloaded.

If I hide an item in the Scene pane and close DS, later when I reload it, it will remember to hide the item (the eye remains closed for those items).

In contrast, if I hide an item in a new Selection Set in the Tool Settings while using the geometry editor, when I load the scene again later, all those hide settings are gone (the eye is open again) and I have to go through the scene finding all the different items and re-hiding them (there are sometimes dozens and this can be quite time-consuming).

Is there a way to retain the "hide" setting in the Tool Settings pane when the Scene is re-loaded?

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

That's normal, and annoying. Rather than hiding the polys what you could do is use the "create new surface from selected" (I can't remember which category that's under in the right click menu but it shouldn't be hard to find)

Once you name your surface, then you can select more polys and use the add selected to group option and select your new group. Then when you get all the polys you want to hide set in the new surface, just turn the opacity off. That will stick with reloading :)

• That's a nice idea for a workaround, Kaotbliss, thank you. I will try that.

• You can also create a new Polygon group, then add a dummy bone to the item (if it's a figure) using the Joint Editor and make the new group the Selection Group for that bone - then you can hide/show using the eye icon in the Scene pane.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm having the same problem. Whilst Studio should retain the hidden state of the selection set that's not really my issue - I want to be able to hide the same polys across multiple G8 figures using a preset. For example hiding everything but skin, ie (eyes, lips, nails and mouth).

How would I do this, given that:

1. Not all of the surfaces I want to hide have their own bones
    2. The cutout opacity trick isn't sufficent, because I'm using Iray decals which also need to be hidden.
  • I don't think that can be done with a preset, a script might well work.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,868
    edited March 2020

If you're going to use it a lot then it might be worth setting up a conditional graft where you can click a button to hide the polys.

Once its set up the polys will still load visible but you can then just toggle 1 button to turn them all off and on - much quicker than trying to find all the surfaces and hide them again. If you save G8 it should show on all figures loading after that.

Post edited by Mada on
    edited March 2020

A script would be absolutely fine, I just want to find a one-click solution for hiding multiple known surfaces.

Mada thank you for that very helpful tutorial, however in my use case that unfortunately won't work - my setup is quite complex in that I'm using a combination of figure, geometry shell and decal to project a repeating pattern onto the skin. This is necessary so that the pattern is consistent and not warped by UV and figure posing, ie projection mapping.

There are parts of the body (ie not skin) that need this pattern blocked - the only way I've found to do this is to hide the non-skin polys and instead display them on a geometry shell, layered on top with no offset.

Whilst I can use your technique to hide the polys on the model, this also removes them from the geometry shell. When toggling the selection set off, the geometry shell is unaffected.

I may be making this horrendously complicated so if anyone has an alternate solution I'd be very grateful to know. I want to make this into a commercial product so want it to be as easy to use as possible :)

Post edited by Silas3D on

ah yes - the graft removes the polygons completely. Sounds like an interesting but challenging project :)

Mada, if you don't mind I'll PM you with some more info?

Sure :)