Build Your Own Sale PA – Dreamlight tutorials: Good value or?

GardenTurtleGardenTurtle Posts: 52
edited November 2019 in New Users

Build Your Own Sale PA – Dreamlight tutorials: Good value or?

I’m completely new to 3D and Daz Studio, so I have been looking for some in depth tutorials for:

• Posing
  • Lighting
  • Camera
  • Render settings and what do they do
  • Maybe animation

Goal / Purpose:

I do not have any illusion that I will be able to create great looking images or animations, but I would like to learn about the basic / intermediate stuff. Also it is for personal use / fun.

Personal preferences:

• I normally use long video tutorials, when diving into new programming “stuff”.
  • I prefer paying for tutorials, and use various payed online courses for learning new “stuff” for work with great success. (P2W or Pay2Play wink)
  • I hate trying to find tutorials on Youtube. Yes, sometimes I can find good videos, but the time spent is not worth it for me.

I have watched the free videos from Dreamlight; the “Great Art Now” and they seemed fine, so are some of the other tutorials from that person or persons usable?

More specific questions:

• What tutorials are relevant for me?
  • Do the tutorials require additional characters, props, backgrounds, plugins etc.?
  • I don’t mind if the tutorials are a bit outdated in terms of Daz Studio, as long at the techniques taught are generic. That is unavoidable when dealing with IT tools.

I looked at:

I will obviously only need one of the two bundles.

Any input and/or suggestion regarding other tutorials would be greatly appreciated. smiley

EDIT:

While I'm at, it does anyone know about a good in depth tutorial for scripting? I have a C# (Windows app) and SQL-Database (Oracle and Mircosoft) background. I did find that I most likely need some pointers.

I found https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/studio-scripting-course-101-introduction-to-daz-script/137421

Have anyone tried that one?

Post edited by GardenTurtle on

Comments

• Daz itself posts basic tutorials on youtube. Also on youtube, I can recomend Sicklyield, Dreamlight3d (same guy who does tutorials for sale), MYDART who also posts a lot on the boards here has good beginner vids. There are a lot of others as well. 

Deviantart also has some useful tutorials, many of them free.

The shop doesn't let me filter for tutorials I've purchased easily or I could probably recomend some more.

I can say I like and got useful info from the Dreamlight tutorials I've purchased. Especially the lighting ones. Looking at the bundles you linked to, they all seem to deal with 3delight render engine and lights.

Different than Iray, but I would imagine the concepts are the same if you want to learn lighting basics. I use Iray pretty exclusively, not 3DL, so I couldn't comment on those tutorials. A method of learning lighting as well that I learned on these boards was to buy a light set on sale that you like the effect, put a character or prop at world zero with the default light set up and click through the properties to see how the creator did the lights and learn that way. Could be more expensive than a tutorial, however.

Posing: I must confess I opt for premade poses that I tweak, I personally find going from an A or T pose to a manual complex pose too cumbersome (My patience level, not a software defect). And tools like Pose Master and the Riversoft Art products as well. Digital Art Live has some posing tutorials I believe. There tutorials are also ones I can recomend.

Camera: Dreamlight and others do some good tutorials, though learning camera basics should transfer to Iray Cameras.

Animation, I can't comment on, still trying to learn Daz bascis myself before I dip my toe into that part of it.

• @Umi no Senshi no Ishi

Getting/buying some light presets on sale sounds reasonable. yes

Honestly I hadn't thought about the whole Iray vs 3DL. If there is a big difference when it come to the fundamentals, that might be a problem or a leaning experience.

Cheers 

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited November 2019

Iray and 3DL are completely different, many users of both engines.  My recommendation would be to learn the basics of both, figure out what your computer system can handle.  Begin with a primitive cube, or single base figure, apply different lighting, shaders etc.... Ask lots of questions.  Within time, you will figure out what works best for you. 

Here's a fabulous link to get you started with 3DL:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/time-for-sharing-what-i-have-no-idea/p1

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • @AJ2112

Thx. I'll be sure to check out your stuff  yes

Cheers.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Hi friend, welcome.  Have fun learning and creating wink

• Nice. I'll add it to my list of stuff to look at yes

Cheers.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I would concur with what others have said here. While the paid tutorials can be very good, I'll say that my experience has been hit-or-miss with them. You will be better off to use some of the free resources people are mentioning here and then maybe looking for some paid tutorials when you identify gaps or areas you really want to explore more deeply.

As for a general comment on Dreamlight's tutorials, I've always been a fan (even back to the olden days when he was just getting started). They're always well made. The catch is that I don't always find the whole tutorial worthwhile. I've found topics where I already knew everything they covered (sometimes even knew better ways than what the presenter was using). Remember that you're still dealing with expert end-users, just like with the freebie tutorials others have listed. They're showing you their way to accomplish certain objectives. Which may (or may not) be the best way to reach the same goal.

All that said, I've never felt I needed to return any of the purchased tutorials I've bought here. There's always been enough new information that I felt like I got some value from them. Especially if I was lucky enough to get them on a deep discount sale.

• JonnyRay said:

I would concur with what others have said here. While the paid tutorials can be very good, I'll say that my experience has been hit-or-miss with them. You will be better off to use some of the free resources people are mentioning here and then maybe looking for some paid tutorials when you identify gaps or areas you really want to explore more deeply.

As for a general comment on Dreamlight's tutorials, I've always been a fan (even back to the olden days when he was just getting started). They're always well made. The catch is that I don't always find the whole tutorial worthwhile. I've found topics where I already knew everything they covered (sometimes even knew better ways than what the presenter was using). Remember that you're still dealing with expert end-users, just like with the freebie tutorials others have listed. They're showing you their way to accomplish certain objectives. Which may (or may not) be the best way to reach the same goal.

All that said, I've never felt I needed to return any of the purchased tutorials I've bought here. There's always been enough new information that I felt like I got some value from them. Especially if I was lucky enough to get them on a deep discount sale.

I ended up with getting a light set and tutorials on light and camera. However since I'm new to everything daz, visual arts in general, basic photography etc. getting the same information multiple times will not hurt (hopefully).

I do appreciate the input on specific vendors / products since there is no rating or review system in the shop.

Cheers

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I wish tutorial makers would always provide a clip of their tutorial. Some have turned out to be very improvisational...more rambling screen-capture discussion than scripted step-by-step tutorial. I always got a kick out of Dreamlight's as his accent is so thick and his penmanship terrible. Not sure either have improved with time.