Curious observation... Advice requested.

I was flipping through the new conversations here and noticed a referenced to the GPU-Z software. I haven't been having any issues, but thought I would take a look at things.

My system has dual GeForce GTX 970s. Both were bought at the same time and installed in my desktop since day one.

When I ran GPU-Z I notied that the results weren't the same on the two cards:
BIOS versions are different,
Memory type is the same, but manufacturer is different...

Is the different memory is a surprise. Which might be why the BIOS is different. Or is that an incorrect assumption?

Comments

• The BIOS is likely different because they weren't manufactured at the same time. VRAM sourcing is, I think, up to the card makers. Are the 2 970's from the same manufacturer?

• The memory for one is listed as Samsung. The other one is listed as Elpida.

Otherwise everything else but the BIOS version is exactly the same. They are both NVIDIAs. They were both bought at the same time. They both came in exactly the same boxes.

I put the desktop together from the barebones.

• They are reference cards? Nvidia just slaps whatever VRAM they can get cheap on those. They really don't want people buying them.

That you bought them at the same time is really irrelevant. They could have been built quite a while apart. Anyway they could have been next to each other in production and when Nvidia ran out of one batch of VRAM the next card simply got VRAM from the next lot. Having different BIOS versions strongly indicates they were manufactured at least days or weeks apart.