Getting New Machine. Yay! Installation Frustration to Follow

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
edited November 2019 in Carrara Discussion

1)  Yay!  Help celebrate with me.

2)  Oh no, please stand ready to help me get Carrara up and running when I try to install.  Anticipate a lot of issues.

Many of you have probably gotten sick of hearing me complain about my dying machines.  Rarely bothered to try to load most of my wonderful Carrara Howie Farkes scenes. Substance Painter was giving me resource usage warnings out the yazoo.  Finally just stopped trying to use Substance Painter.  It took forever to do even a simple Iray test render. Yadda, yadda, yadda.  But soon I will have a new beastie to play with. Yay.

Some of my specs

Processor - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12 Core AM4 with wraith prism cooler

Motherboard - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi AMD

RAM - 4 x 16GB DD4-3600

SSD - 500 GB  970 EVO 

HD - 6 TB BarraCuda

Video Card - ASUS triple fan GeForce RTX Ti 11GB 

Case - Corsair 760T

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• Congrats!

• good luck

mostly you are fine until you add the extensions

• Very nice to hear!  3900x is the way to go.

This is very close to the machine I was getting today (weirdly enough), but now I might hold off to see how it goes for you. :)

For those who seek to spend less, 2700x's are on sale for a ridiculous $130 bucks apiece this week at Micro Center.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

UB - we will be able to share installation woes.

The specs I chose are very close to the specs that mod Richard Hazeltine was discussing in the Commons.  Not a coincidence.

• I didn't see anything that Richard said.  I did see reviews several weeks ago that put the 3900x up against lower end threadrippers, and the 3900x won handily.

An insane processor for $500.  They were very hard to find, and not available at that price until about a week ago.

Have you purchased the machiine?

You listed part of the specs for your GPU.  I assume that you got a rtx 2080 ti?  That's over a thousand all by itself.  You must be serious about Iray and Octane. :)

I just today bought the parts for my wife's machine - 2700x, x570 board (for future upgrade potential), Samsung 1TB M.2 SSD, 32 GB RAM, etc.  I decided on a 1050 TI card, which is perfect for her.  The whole thing is probably overkill, but it is her first new desktop ever, and I wanted her to have something decent.  Total cost was less than a thousand, assembled.  It totally blows away my current machine. :)

• I forgot to add, Micro Center has a monster 3900x build which they just discounted to $1900.  That's still a lot, but the components are really good, ideal for a Carrara machine.

Sorry, starting to sound like a Micro Center ad. :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hardware yes

Here is the Commons thread I mentioned.  The discussion helped me a lot (I think)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/362191/my-turn-for-system-building/p1

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

you will have some great fun with that machine yes  cool

• Have you bought it yet?

I think it's this one devil  cool

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

A lot of this goes over my head, hope you totally kick _more_ a**...and....Carrara works!

Awesome man

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited November 2019

Congrats, Ted! I also got a new RTX 2080 Ti this month. Haven't tried it yet.

Post edited by Vyusur on

Arrived.  Essentials put together.  Yay!

Unfortunately, my plan to use some of the components of my old dead desktop was a stupid plan, or at least foolishly implemented.  My old dead desktop is in storage in Washington, DC, but I am not. For the moment, I don't have a CD drive, for example. I won't be able to install some of the older software I still use until I visit Washington again.

Currently installing software with digital access.  Experiencing the Username / Password hell that I have created for myself.

One sign of progress, I've successfully gotten to the internet.

waves hello from the internets smiley

Mystarra said:

waves hello from the internets smiley

smileyyesyes

Supposed to be a wave back.  

Carrara 8.5 and Carrara Native Content files installed.

First test render.

This is the Champagne scene in the packaging folder of native content.

Rendered in 43 seconds.

Nothing compared to the animators with render farms out there, but most excellent improvement for me.

Now to install the other stuff I have accumulated.

Test render carrara.jpg
    800 x 600 - 38K
  • Awesome!

External (portable) DVD/CD drives which connect to usb are less than $30 at Micro Center.  LG is a standard brand.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,699

Hot rod computer !!

• Diomede said:

Carrara 8.5 and Carrara Native Content files installed.

First test render.

This is the Champagne scene in the packaging folder of native content.

Rendered in 43 seconds.

Nothing compared to the animators with render farms out there, but most excellent improvement for me.

Now to install the other stuff I have accumulated.

That is pretty zippy.  I decided to do the same scene with my old 4-core.  Four minutes and three seconds.

For those who don't know, the AMD Ryzen 3900X is special.  This is the general story.  Back in 2017, first generation Ryzens like the 1700x and 1800X were a huge breakthrough with 8 cores and 16 threads.  Gamers were not really impressed, because the processors were not super fast.  But for workstation users and Carrara users, 16 threads were the bees knees.  The Ryzen second generation included the 2700X and 2800X.  This year they came out with the third generation 3700X and 3800X, etc., but the core count was the same as before.  Enter the 3900X.  With the 3900X, the count has increased to twelve cores and twenty-four threads (24 buckets in Carrara) and the base speed now approaches 4GHZ.  This has created a perfect storm of processing power and speed, and it is now attracting the attention of gamers.

AMD released the 3900X last summer, and it sold out in most places two weeks later.  For several months there has been a huge shortage, with some companies charging up to $900 per unit.  It now appears that the shortage is over, and the manufacturers suggested price of $499 is becoming the norm.

The big question for Carrara users is how well this beast will get along with Carrara.  I had planned to get one this week and find out, but Diomede has beat me to it. :)

I'm really looking forward to the results.  Fingers crossed, it sounds like the perfect Carrara processor at this point - reasonably priced, but super powerful.

The Ryzen Threadripper is a whole other story.  It was supposed to be mega thread workstation king for AMD.  But it turns out that the 3900X actually beats many of the midrange and lowrange Threadrippers in head-to-head tests.  I'm not sure that AMD fully understood what releasing the 3900X would do to the Threadripper market.   Pricing is certainly weird right now, with the 3900X cheaper than Threadrippers that it outperforms.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,699
    edited November 2019

2 minutes & 18 seconds - Intel Core i7 6700 @ 4GHz, 32GB RAM

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

4 minutes 53 seconds on my 2012 i5 Mac

• Looking forward to those animations with your characters yes

03:09 on my old machine i7-3770  cool

Thanks for stopping in and commenting folks.  Happy with the computer but it takes a while to install Carrara-related content.  

12 cores!  24 render buckets?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Congratz on the new computer!! Talk about an awesome machine!

I just got a new laptop and can finally use Carrara again. I haven't been able to get Carrara to start for about 8 months - and didn't wan't to reinstall windows just to get it to run again. Been using Blender since Carrara wouln't start, and I'll still use Blender alot for upcomming projects, but it's really nice to be able to mess around in Carrara again!! I've been moving data and setting up the new machine for about a week, should be done in a couple more days.

First time running on the new laptop - the test scene renered in 1:05 (i9-9900k)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,819
    edited November 2019

3:42 on my Ryzen 3 with 8GB of RAM only 4 cores and threads

Windows 10

3:07 on my i7 with 16GB RAM and 4 cores but 8 threads

Windows 7

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

2:21 on my i7 7700 8 cores 32 ram with native render, and 31 sec with octane plugin.

• CelluloCellulo Posts: 56
    edited November 2019

On my i5 7400 4 cores (4 threads) 8gb ram on windows 10:

Tile size:

128 = 3,37

64 = 3,18

48 = 3,15

32= 3,19

16= 3,36

Post edited by Cellulo on