dForce question ...

Can dForce clothing simulations be applied independent of the figure pose?

Whenever I do a dForce simulation for a wardrobe item, it puts the figure back to the first pose in a series of pose adjustments and seems to take forever to simulate every pose iteration.

I just thought it would be nice if dForce could just work on the current pose and drape the clothes to that last pose, without starting from the neutral (default) figure pose. 

I guess I don't know dForce very well. But it just seems so futile to me in that it takes longer to simulate than it does to actually render a scene. That seems ridiculous. Is there no way to speed things up?

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

In the simulation tab with the item selected turn off the ''start bones from memorized pose'.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Have you seen this thread?: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081

When you simulate, make sure you hide everthing that's not adding to the simulation, things like hair, brows,eye lashes, shoes and any props/scenery. In fact it's best to just have one character plus their dForce clothing in an otherwise empty scene, with a primitive plane if the clothing touches the ground at any point, then simulate the character (using a time line is often best, if you know what that is), and then add the extras. There are lots of other ways to help simulations, but the above is a start.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

Thanks! I will try these suggestions.

• Do be aware, however, that draping from a pose may - depnding on how the item is rigged - have a starting state with self-intersection or other issues that may cause the simulation to fail (explosively).

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

Thanks Richard. That makes sense, and I guess that's why simulations start from the default pose, where arms are to the side and the figure is upright. 

So I guess if the pose causes a problem with start bones from memorized pose turned off, I can turn it back on and start again.

• Yes  -though note it's the memorised pose, not the zero pose - you could memorise a pose that was your desired starting point but adjusted to avoid potential issues (indeed, in some cases you may have to if going from zero to final pose would cause body parts to pass through each other, either that or use the Timeline).