Rigging service

Does anyone offer a rigging service? If so how much does it cost? I've had a project on the go for sometime now. I would really like to get it released, I'm just having so many head banging moments trying to get it rigged and weight painted. I keep going back to it and trying, as well as going through tutorials and forum posts. Soon as I can I'll post pics of what I need, as I'm not at home right now.

Comments

• If my experiences are anything to go by, you'll end up learning to do it yourself.

• If my experiences are anything to go by, you'll end up learning to do it yourself.

Expensive or too much hassle arranging it?
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550

There is no service that I have seen. Your best bet is tutorials in the store of maybe a PA will step in and help, but other than that, you'll have to figure it out yourself.

• I would have thought there was high demand for this sort of thing. Content creation is just like your pc. One weak component and the rest of the system doesn't work as well as it should. This is definitely my bottleneck at the moment. Not that the rest of my components are high end, but rigging is holding them way back.
  • Try the Fiverr, UpWork, and Guru sites. I'm sure you'll find some guy on the other side of the world to do it for you, at a reasonable price. I prefer Fiverr.

• Try the Fiverr, UpWork, and Guru sites. I'm sure you'll find some guy on the other side of the world to do it for you, at a reasonable price. I prefer Fiverr.

Thanks i'll take a look.
  • droidy001 said:

If my experiences are anything to go by, you'll end up learning to do it yourself.

Finding someone is really hard - and even when you do, they don't get back to you, or otherwise drop the ball. In the once instance where I actually succeeded in getting the item rigged, they ignored my instructions, which resulted in a useless rig anyway.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958

Can anyone recommend a tutorial in the shop? I've seen a few but I'd like to know which one(s) offer the best experience for someone new to the whole thing.

• droidy001 said:

If my experiences are anything to go by, you'll end up learning to do it yourself.

Finding someone is really hard - and even when you do, they don't get back to you, or otherwise drop the ball. In the once instance where I actually succeeded in getting the item rigged, they ignored my instructions, which resulted in a useless rig anyway.

Did you end up learning how to do it yourself? If so, how did you go about it?
  • evacyn said:

Can anyone recommend a tutorial in the shop? I've seen a few but I'd like to know which one(s) offer the best experience for someone new to the whole thing.

+1
  • droidy001 said:
    droidy001 said:

Did you end up learning how to do it yourself? If so, how did you go about it?

Alas, the items remain unrigged to this day. I stopped doing 3D altogether for a while. Just got back into it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited November 2019

Without knowing what you want rigged it is hard to give answers

humanoid figures can generally be rescaled to match the DAZ base figures and reimported then use the transfer utility 

but

this is only to pose and render them, it cannot be redistributed

props you generally create geometry groups for the parts you want to move then set up bones and fill the surfaces to be influenced by each bone with its weight

there are so many senarios here its hard to discuss rigging processes in general, also it can be hard to please someone giving vague instructions paid or not, I would not touch it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,672

Try asking here, but be specific.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,432

humanoid figures can generally be rescaled to match the DAZ base figures and reimported then use the transfer utility 

but

props you generally create geometry groups for the parts you want to move then set up bones and fill the surfaces to be influenced by each bone with its weight

there are so many senarios here its hard to discuss rigging processes in general, also it can be hard to please someone giving vague instructions paid or not, I would not touch it

That's the way that I do rigging (although I've only done it once). I used Genesis 8 Female as a "donor figure" in the hopes that I could make Daz think that the model with the donated skeleton could wear G8F clothing... But it doesn't seem like its possible... Or is it possible, and I'm doing something wrong in converting the model? ^^' 

• N_R Arts said:

but

That's the way that I do rigging (although I've only done it once). I used Genesis 8 Female as a "donor figure" in the hopes that I could make Daz think that the model with the donated skeleton could wear G8F clothing... But it doesn't seem like its possible... Or is it possible, and I'm doing something wrong in converting the model? ^^' 

No it won't enable it to wear the clothes only use the bones for posing

for that you need a morph shape for the genesis figure as clothes use skinweights

• If it's mechanical rigging, it's quite straightforward - excellent tut by SicklYield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNFHv8K8qKg

(That's for rigging a door but the same principle applies to other rigid parts).

Rigging organic figures is trickier and involves weight-painting and probably a need for JCMs too (after creating a JCM for a recent geograft project, I can say it's not too hard but I'm not keen on repeating the exercise, especially with how many would be needed for a full figure).

One problem I have (and it's almost certainly my own workflow problem) is that I'll start rigging something and then realise I need to change the geometry in the modeller - there's no easy way to update the geometry in DS (AFAIK) so I have to re-rig when I bring the model back in (using the transfer utility to an almost-exactly-the-same model doesn't transfer the weights well in my experience and some polys end up getting reassigned to the wrong face groups too). So I'd be loathe to rig someone else's model and have to send it back a few times, or to hire out the rigging of my own props and have to deal with the delay and added expense).

• Without knowing what you want rigged it is hard to give answers

but

It was just a general question. I understand no-one would take it on without full details. I am so close. I understand what is needed it the fine points I'm having trouble with. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,432

No it won't enable it to wear the clothes only use the bones for posing

for that you need a morph shape for the genesis figure as clothes use skinweights

That's what I thought. Thanks for replying :)