def surf mat

BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I have a def surf mat on my object that I have not applied materials or shading domains to. What could be causing this? Help?

If it helps, this is something I modeled for V4's head while she was in the scene. She has been long deleted and all her materials.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

That is applied by default in Hexagon. You can ignore it. It needs to have a texture of some sort applied, so it uses that I think.

Is it causing a problem?

• BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

I don't usually have def surf mats with my objects and if I do I always find where it is and remove it. I've never had this happen and would like to know if anyone knows how/where/why it is happening with a single object that does not have material zones. Very frustrating.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

I normally get this problem when I save an prop which (looking at it from Hex) is made up of groups. If you un-group the object then export it the def surf mat should go away.

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

I get this all the time no matter what I do. I just open the obj in a text editor and delete the def_surf_mat lines. takes a couple of sec to do.
    And yes. It is annoying. LOL.

• BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

Someone else said the same as Jimmyc about Hexagon always starting with a def surf mat until you assign materials. But, I had tried assigning materials and in Poser I had my domains plus the def surf mat.

I did get rid of it this time around. I think that I missed selecting a poly last time.

What I did was to add domains for the two easy areas and the harder, dense area I selected by clicking on the 'unassigned domains' and it selected everything I hadn't chosen yet. Worked like a charm. I didn't know I could do that.

Thanks for the responses.

....unrelated...when I try to post here in Firefox it takes me to my dashboard. I told Daz3D but they closed the issue after I said that it worked in Internet Explorer. It's not fixed though. Strange, huh?