Is there a way to scale a surface loop?

I have a cylinder as a part of complex prop and I want to reduce the cylinder height. I can select a loop and create a surface from it if needed; so is there a way to scale this loop or the newly created surface w/o exporting the prop to another software?

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2019

Not sure what you mean by "loop". You can use a dFormer to scale only the top of the cylinder. You need to select the cylinder, go create/new dFormer. Then with the dFormer field selected, in tools editor pane, select weight map brush. Create a new dFormer weight map. Select all polygones of the cylinder and right click tools settings, go to weight editing and select fill selected. Set  strength to 0. Then select the range of polys you want to scale, using same method, set strength to 100%. Then grab the dFormer, scale it down a few percentages. Then use the dFormer slider of the cylinder to adjust strength.

If this was not what you meant, just ignore me;)

dform weight 1.png
    1210 x 551 - 187K
    dform weight 2.png
    1221 x 520 - 175K
    dformer scale settings.png
    1036 x 582 - 211K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited November 2019

Forgot to mention that you need to position the dFormer base where you want the center of transformation to be.
     So if you want to scale the polygons only along the y axis, dont change the over all scale of the dFormer, only the y scale, see attachments.

dformer base placement.png
    1082 x 583 - 59K
    dformer scaling y axis.png
    1125 x 560 - 52K
    dformer scale param.png
    1215 x 582 - 116K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • If this was not what you meant, just ignore me;)

Actually this is very useful for me to know:-)

As for the original question  - I exported the prop to Blender as OBJ and scaled it there.

PS. Under "loop" I mean a closed "circle" from polygons or edges (of course it is not needed to be exacctly  a circle).

If this was not what you meant, just ignore me;)

As for the original question  - I exported the prop to Blender as OBJ and scaled it there.

PS. Under "loop" I mean a closed "circle" from polygons or edges (of course it is not needed to be exacctly  a circle).

So I was on the right track then;) And of course you can paint the weightmap instead of just filling the selection with a uniform color.

• If this was not what you meant, just ignore me;)

So I was on the right track then;) And of course you can paint the weightmap instead of just filling the selection with a uniform color.

Basically I try to evade using relatively complicated technics with DAZ, escpecially when those problems can be easily resolved with basic mesh editing operations in another software; and the props are perfectly suited for this:-)