Are there any Bouffant hairstyles from the 50's , 60's or 70's ?

carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
edited November 2019 in The Commons

Both my mother and Grandmother had this hair style and I'd love to have it to use on my older 3d ladies, ya know curled on rollers combed out ,back combed /teased for height ,brushed back from the forhead or with a curl for a bang and then hair sprayed until it is a helmet ....... are there any hairs out there like that? I've got Estell hair but it's not quite there .......any other ideas

Post edited by carrie58 on

Comments

• SWAM has at least one, though I can't recall the name and it's a big list to go through.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Well it's a start gonna go seeking thank you Richard

edited November 2019

Have that one wishlisted mr clam ,not quite what I'm looking for  the hair is short then curled then teased out ......closer to these ,just less hair ,jeez if my mother reads this .... hmmm older then 60's

c386cc9cffe93d57cf38a3d3ba9eeb3b.jpg
    620 x 365 - 36K
    50s-style-curly-hair-short-curly-hairstyles-for-women-over-s-short-haircuts-curly-hair-over-50.jpg
    554 x 739 - 45K
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • Virtual_WorldVirtual_World Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2019

May be this one? It is a Daz Original and it is on sale https://www.daz3d.com/cute-baby-hairs-for-genesis-8-females

PopUp08.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 942K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have to admit that you had me fooled as I was thinking along these lines,

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,754
    edited November 2019
    carrie58 said:

Have that one wishlisted mr clam ,not quite what I'm looking for  the hair is short then curled then teased out ......closer to these ,just less hair ,jeez if my mother reads this .... hmmm older then 60's

Those aren't really bouffants, which are characterized by long, straight hair puffed out.  

That said, you might look at   https://www.daz3d.com/estelle-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s or Powerage's Short Hair for G3f at renderosity. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

You might want to check Ali's store.

http://www.mankahoo.com/index.php

It's all based on V4, but it's definitely got the helmet look, and it's easy to parent and scale. Some of the models have quite a few morphs.

@Taoz  I've tried those ,none of them are quite right ...... but I have them ,@chohole yeah mom's started like that picture but kept getting shorter ......@Virtual_World I have that one I'll try it, @Cybersox , you ever try to tell your mother she's not labeled something right? and she has called her hairstyle bouffant for about 50 years now, and she is 83 .......Thank you guys for all the suggestions

edited November 2019
    carrie58 said:

@Cybersox , you ever try to tell your mother she's not labeled something right?

Yep.  She still calls one of the fossilized skeletons she restored for the local natural history museum a Dimetrodon, even though it turned out to be an edaphosaurus once they got it out of the stone matrix. On the other hand, she stuck to her guns on using the term Brontosaurus and science eventually did a back-track and re-declared it a seperate species in 2015.  

Post edited by Cybersox on

heheeheheheeh

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

I would like a beehive hairdo like my mom wore on special occasions when we kids was little.

Cybersox said:
    carrie58 said:

Those aren't really bouffants, which are characterized by long, straight hair puffed out.  

That said, you might look at   https://www.daz3d.com/estelle-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s ; or Powerage's Short Hair for G3f at renderosity. 

The Estelle hair is generally called a loose perm or just a perm most of the time.

A perm is what those women with straight hair used to get their hair to be curly like that.  A contraction of permanent wave,  Permanent waves can create beautiful curly-haired styles without the daily hassle of curling irons or the sleepless nights in rollers. Using a chemical solution to break down the bonds in the hair that give it its shape, relaxed locks are then wrapped around rods and rinsed with a neutralising solution that reforms the bonds and leaves hair looking naturally curly and feeling wonderful.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,311
    Chohole said:

A perm is what those women with straight hair used to get their hair to be curly like that.  A contraction of permanent wave,  Permanent waves can create beautiful curly-haired styles without the daily hassle of curling irons or the sleepless nights in rollers. Using a chemical solution to break down the bonds in the hair that give it its shape, relaxed locks are then wrapped around rods and rinsed with a neutralising solution that reforms the bonds and leaves hair looking naturally curly and feeling wonderful.

As long as it is done right - if done by youthful people who don't really know what they are doing it can lead to a frizzy mess - trust me I know.

scorpio said:
    Chohole said:

As long as it is done right - if done by youthful people who don't really know what they are doing it can lead to a frizzy mess - trust me I know.

Yes,  I did almost add something like that.

I have almost always blessed my naturally curly hair. 

scorpio said:
    Chohole said:

Or done by mothers who don't listen and are sure they know what they are doing ........may I add she gave perms to herself and my grandmother no problem for years and they turned out great ,but for some reason when she'd try to do my hair ,results were less than great ,down right scary more than once .......and she was not a proffession just an at home permer .....which I think is why I ended up looking like a poodle on crack once and why my hair melted on the perm rods once ,left me with about 1 and a half inches of tight white curls ,which 3 months later made me shave my head for the first time ,which was kinda liberating

• DAZ has Madelyn for V3, but it is still a pretty good hair, autofit makes it work on later genesis models.  It is closer to the kind  of "bouffant" or puffy hair I used to wear in middle school but I think the style you might be interested in was called a "Bubble", a kind of short bob that looked like a helmet, with cute swirl at the center of the top forehead, with bang separated by a hairband, a half circle of metal or plastic. I know, I sported one for  a couple semesters. Thankfully no photos exist.

For a beehive look, DAZ has "Bump It" for G3 and G8. But a lot of girls wore the ratted bump with a French Roll for a tidier, classier look. I haven't found a French Roll hair model.  At the other place, Val BeBe Hair and Buns for V4 are close to what the hair looked like while the girls ratted it up and out before poking and combing into place. The 70s brought in the "Madge" stack of hair, which was required for waitresses at our local Big Boy burger. This had curls stacked around in a tower, usually with a silly little ribbon around the top inches with the tiny bow which almost every hairdo had. One style rule for the classy look, keep the hair out of your eyes. It was part of dress code in middleschool.

The 50s went in for pony tails, and there are several good ones at DAZ. So Messy Bun at DAZ is pretty close, except for the long messy bangs. Actual Diva Hair kind of flows through the decades. The ends do 'flip' a bit. But the permant wave examples do not reflect what I remember as the popular fashion. Marina hair at the other place is similar to a Marilyn Monroe style. Portia hair at DAZ is also good style. Happy hunting!

Chohole said:

Doesn't have to be straight hair but also wavy, curly and even kinky hair can and does get permed. 

Chohole said:

Doesn't have to be straight hair but also wavy, curly and even kinky hair can and does get permed. 

Aye,  thus proving that perm is the term used for the process,  not the style.  

Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

Aye,  thus proving that perm is the term used for the process,  not the style.  

Well growing up where I grew any woman past her early 20s that went for a perm came back with a hairstyle like the Estelle hair product. laugh Hence a perm referring to a particular hair style, like people saying they are going in the store and buying a pop and for a second you're filled with excitement and mystery about what kind of pop they are going to buy and if they'll be bringing back the kids one too but after another second you know their broke poor butts are going to come back with only a coke for themselves. laugh

• Thought it was interesting to know why the puffy updo was called a "Beehive". It looks like the old fashioned straw baskets that bees were kept in before the white boxes used today.

BeehiveSkep1.JPG
    348 x 256 - 34K
    IceScribe said:

Thought it was interesting to know why the puffy updo was called a "Beehive". It looks like the old fashioned straw baskets that bees were kept in before the white boxes used today.

Oh, I've never seen one before. I have seen a couple of beehives build by bees stuck up on tree branches. I don't see them often, I've only seen 2 my whole life, last time being in 2014.

IceScribe said:

Thought it was interesting to know why the puffy updo was called a "Beehive". It looks like the old fashioned straw baskets that bees were kept in before the white boxes used today.

Oh, I've never seen one before. I have seen a couple of beehives build by bees stuck up on tree branches. I don't see them often, I've only seen 2 my whole life, last time being in 2014.

My late other half was an apiarist.  We had 5 or 6 of the modern hives in our back garden before we retired and downsizes and moved to where I am now.  He also was the apiarist for a while at our local beekeeping association and they had a club house with a small museum and several different sorts of old fashioned beehives, including the skep.   The are more interesting than modern ones, but not so easy to work with as they would literally need to destroy the skep (the hive) to get the honey out.
    Himself used to have what they call the National hive and you can see how they can be dismantled.

Taoz said:

Another possibility I noticved as I was going through my collection -  https://www.daz3d.com/curly-top-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8

ohhh that one might work and I already have it thank you so very much!! @Cybersox

carrie58 said:

ohhh that one might work and I already have it thank you so very much!! @Cybersox

Awesome!  Already having it definitely makes it a lot more attractive. :)  

• Actually, this may be more what the OP had in mind (and I made a post about this back in 2017):

Ginger_Grant_Gilligan's_Island.jpg
    500 x 623 - 209K