Exporting FBX from DAZ, rig comes out messed up in Blender?

When I export an FBX file from DAZ 3D and open the FBX file in Blender, the model's rig comes out all messed up. Why? How can I fix it?

Comments

• Messed up in what way? What options are you using in the FBX exporter, and in the Blender importer if it has options?

• The rig is all jumbled up and it doesn't go across the body like they're supposed to. When I move the rig in pose mode, the bones move, but it doesn't affect the character model. I've attached pictures so you can see what I mean for both the rig and the settings.
    snipoffbxsettings2 (1).JPG
    242 x 410 - 26K
    snipoffbxsettings1 (1).PNG
    381 x 677 - 29K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

You might want to give Diffeomorphic (http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/p/daz-importer.html) a try. It will import a fully rigged figure, and set up cycles shaders for you.

• I did try diffeomorphic, but it didn't work because it told me that it was the wrong file. Any reason for that?

Did you save the character/figure as a scene file, and try to import the scene file (not the character file)? Trying to import a figure file will result in the error you got. The plugin needs the additional information saved in the scene file to work properly.

Tutorial Link: (http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/p/export-character-from-daz-to-blender.html)

• Yeah, I actually tried what you just suggested, yet I got the wrong file error anyway. Do you know why or what I can do to fix it? Any other ways?

Hmmm, I'm not sure what might be causing the problem then. I haven't used it much yet, but there are a couple people here that do. You might try moving the thread to the Commons where more people will see it and maybe they will be more helpful than me.

• llastffirst1234llastffirst1234 Posts: 55
    edited November 2019
    Okay, I'll try that. Thank you for your help. If anyone else has any more suggestions, I'm willing to try them out, of course.
    Post edited by llastffirst1234 on
  • When I export an FBX file from DAZ 3D and open the FBX file in Blender, the model's rig comes out all messed up. Why? How can I fix it?
  • You don't. You roll your eyes at it and get this...

https://blenderartists.org/t/daz-importer/684697

• glossedsfmglossedsfm Posts: 329
    edited November 2019

In that pic that you posted uncheck the bottom box use pre/post rotation.  Also click on the Armature button also shown in that pic and put a check on force connect children and automatic bone rotation.

Post edited by glossedsfm on
  • Hi Psyckosama, I got that plugin and everything worked great until it came time for the materials. I couldn't get the skin to work on the character, she was grey in the eevie render. I wish I could remember what I did, this wasa few months ago now, but any tricks on once you get the character into blender, how to make them look like right? Like did you forgo the steps and do your own map setups amd such? I followed the guy's YouTube tutorial as well. Thanks for any tips!
  • strange. Mateirals come through for me... though to be honest, that's not saying much. Had to redo them anyways because an iRay Material is not a Cycles material. etc.

• Okay, I'll try that. Thank you for your help. If anyone else has any more suggestions, I'm willing to try them out, of course.

What exactly does the 'wrong file' error that the Import Daz from the Diffeomorphic blog gives you say, and when in the export/import process does it appear?

Make sure you are using the latest version of the plugin, and the documentation on the blog is worth studying.  You could also try the 2.80 version of Blender, there may be fixes to the FBX importer.  The FBX format will always be problematic as two applications are unlikely to agree on how to implement it (unless both are Autodesk applications).

With your FBX options plus the changes suggested by glossesfm above, I can get the FBX export/import process to give me a rig and a mesh in Blender, but the two are not connected.  You could fix that in Blender of course, or the Import Daz plugin will do it for you with pretty good results.

• What were you trying to export?

• Threads merged. If you wish to take this to the Commons edit the first post and select the Commons from the forum list (or Daz Studio Discussion).

• llastffirst1234llastffirst1234 Posts: 55
    edited November 2019
    Psyckosama, the link you provided is Diffeomorphic. I tried Diffeomorphic before, and it also didn't solve my problem. I discussed it earlier in this topic. glossedsfm, pre/post rotation puts the bones in place, but doesn't move the character. Force automatic children did absolutely nothing. Automatic bone rotation also didn't affect it any. andya_b341b7c5f5, I've attached a picture of the Diffeomorphic error. Richard Haseltine, I'm exporting a character model. For the Diffeomorphic error, I used the Victoria model with all of the default DAZ settings, so it's not a problem with my model.
    dazimporternonsense.JPG
    691 x 181 - 22K
    Post edited by llastffirst1234 on
  • glossedsfm said:

In that pic that you posted uncheck the bottom box use pre/post rotation.  Also click on the Armature button also shown in that pic and put a check on force connect children and automatic bone rotation.

I had the same issue,

As importing Daz FBX into blender always used to end up in a horror scene, only reminds me of Walter's corpse at the end of silent hill 4 :D

but that helped so much, the model imported perfectly with no issue, thanks a lot...