SkyDome with Residential or City Backgrounds?

Are there any SkyDomes available that have residential or city backgrounds, or even a background with hills that would make an appealing scene for a residential set?

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

If it's for Iray, then there is https://www.daz3d.com/iray-skydome-super-pak  (for city backgrounds, both night and day) which is an add on to https://www.daz3d.com/iray-worlds-skydome (for hill/mountain backgrounds) and each is currently $2.99, and they were worht the full price when I bought them a couple or three years ago.

• https://hdrihaven.com/

This is the first place I always check

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,260

You could check out ImagineX's store here. They have several backdrop sets that let you get a little closer to the scenery. They can be layered and stacked to build up a horizon with different elements.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,142

Best solution: buy some of those city blocks packs in the style you're after, build a big cityscape out of it, keep the centerblock empty (or put some really low buildings there), render with a fisheye lens to a beauty canvas from the altitude you're after. Use the .exr from the beautypass as a HDRI.

• Okay, once you've rendered the fisheye to a beauty canvas, how do you then embed the (sun)lighting details and stuff into the end-result file when converting it all to an HDRI?

Okay, once you've rendered the fisheye to a beauty canvas, how do you then embed the (sun)lighting details and stuff into the end-result file when converting it all to an HDRI?

That's the nice part: the beauty canvas already is a HDRI with all the lighting details you added before you rendered it included. So lights, other HDRIs (like skies), etcetera. Oh, and make sure to set the Environment Intensity to about 0.0002 before you render your HDRI. Due to the way DAZ works, the HDRI will give too much light to your scenes if you don't

• So, this is a feature in the Fisheye beauty-canvas, and comes in the box with the Fisheye product?  Kewl, I'lll get it the next time it goes on sale.

So, this is a feature in the Fisheye beauty-canvas, and comes in the box with the Fisheye product?  Kewl, I'lll get it the next time it goes on sale.

No, it comes standard with Daz Studio. The fish-eye lense is one of the property options of the cameras (NOT the default perspective view, just create a new camera from the top menu to get it), while the beauty canvas is a standard option in your advanced render settings (having a set of tabs within a tab isn't exactly intuitive, but that's how you navigate there). Just make sure to make that render pretty huge, or your HDRI will end up as blurry as the default one. I haven't figured out how to compress the HDRI yet, a rendered 10k^2 pixel HDRI takes about a gigabyte on my harddrive..

• Ah, thank you...  I will note this down for later...