Bryce 7 compatible with mac lion

Comments

• pitgrapherpitgrapher Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I think that the major issue here is the supporting of Bryce 7 (or any Bryce rev), in MAC systems and not this type of “fighting” that not help us (users and DAZ).

The point here, via posting, is Daz to official replay into all Bryce-users calls for solution. For someone may the “end” of Bryce as software, can be as equal as the end of the world. We should respect them to.

There is any from Daz to inform us when we expect to have a supporting rev of Bryce on Mac 10.8.2, in one month? in one year? in one decate? never?

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I think that the major issue here is the supporting of Bryce 7 (or any Bryce rev), in MAC systems and not this type of “fighting” that not help us (users and DAZ).

The point here, via posting, is Daz to official replay into all Bryce-users calls for solution. For someone may the “end” of Bryce as software, can be as equal as the end of the world. We should respect them to.

There is any from Daz to inform us when we expect to have a supporting rev of Bryce on Mac 10.8.2, in one month? in one year? in one decate? never?

Not really because Daz doesn't really have the resources to just make this happen whenever they want it to so it's much more then just them making the decision to do it. Added to that is that the bestt people for the job (ones that are already familiar with Bryce and the latest versions of the Mac OS ) work on contract so it's kind of a matter of them being available at the same time Daz is able to afford to contract them. So the best Daz has been able to give is that when they do contract they right people and bring Bryce back into developement the top priority is to get it working for the Mac. Until then it will still run on older machines that can run the older version of the OS (and keep in mind I'm not talking super old just a few years back. Or you can use it on newer machine with the newer OS but use something like parallels to run window on a seperate partition. Perhaps not ideal solutions but certainly enough for the person whose use of Bryce is a matter of life or death.

Now I've tried to suggest to people that rather then insisting on trying to coerce Daz into doing it (which has been tried and hasn't worked for over two years now) it might yield better results to turn to Apple, a much bigger and wealthier company, with the resources to make things happen when they want to rather then have to wait until they can get the right people. As I understand it the problem is Apple allowed the licensing to expire for a certain emulator they used to translate code meant for a motorola chip that Macs used to have, into code that the newer intel chip can understand. They chose not to renew and so when they made the next version after snow leapord it didn't have this emulator that Bryce depended on to run on the newer systems. So this problem could be fairly simply resolved by Apple renewing that license and putting the emulator back in or by figuring some other way to add support for that motorola code. Another option would possibly be if the people resposible for that emulator made it so end users could buy it and use it with the newer OS's.

Nobody is really trying to fight hear it's just that after more then two years of people coming here and saying "Daz you need to fix this" and then Daz not fixing it, it seems kind of a wasted effort to come here and say "Daz you need to fix this". The problem is many of the Mac users get kind of upset when they hear asking Daz to do it isn't likely to work and they take it out on whoever is answering their reply even though none of us work for Daz.

• pitgrapherpitgrapher Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I agree with you and some other that we have other options to work our Bryce in our Mac systems but… I recently “jump” from Windows to Mac and now I face the possibility of working Windows in parallel mode into MAC… this is hilarious!!!

I understand that the hole procedure of update the internal codelines of any program, and in particular of Bryce, is not an easy work. I’m working with Bryce since 1999 and I know that when Daz redeem the software from Corel and change the rendering engine the Bryce become the best program for the simple user. So, nobody can accuse Daz that didnt’ invest on this program. However, the last version of Bryce released on 2010, which means 3 years and lots of posts in many forums. Personal I dont’ request to “fix it” but “when planned to in time frame”.

The Apple prior any releasing make announcements to the developers for compatibility issues, from the moment of releasing the problem transfer to the Software developers and the users. I suppose that Apple has a reason to remove the motorola compatibility emulator.

So, the problem is not only that MAC-users of Bryce cant’ work with the program, is not only that Daz has issues to develop the Bryce (funds, availability, experience programers etc.), is that new users with MAC systems (and beleave me, there are many and increasing every year), will avoid to buy this very good program, old-users will try to found other software and at the end Daz will lose all the MAC's customers.

• edited December 1969

I updated to Lion.
    Lion Broke my Daz programs, and my adobe CS suite. Had to buy a new HD and partition it for duel boot. one in Lion and one in Leopard so far as of now 2/2013 DAZ programs do NOT work in Lion. if your going to upgrade. do what I did. partition the drive, and make keep Leopard OS and Lion OS separate so you can have the best of both worlds. otherwise consider giving up Daz products.

Yeesh..

• LuoBeiLuoBei Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

I updated to Lion.
    Lion Broke my Daz programs, and my adobe CS suite. Had to buy a new HD and partition it for duel boot. one in Lion and one in Leopard so far as of now 2/2013 DAZ programs do NOT work in Lion. if your going to upgrade. do what I did. partition the drive, and make keep Leopard OS and Lion OS separate so you can have the best of both worlds. otherwise consider giving up Daz products.

Yeesh..

I updated to Lion about a year ago, and yes, there are issues with some applications. But apart from Bryce The Daz applications I have (Studio, Hexagon and Carrara) work perfectly. (So do Adobe CS and loads of other applications). It may be, that the update to Lion has been playing tricks with your disk permissions and the new way Lion handles security makes it a pain in the *** to install content from Daz.
    Repair permissions often - more often than you did before.

As to Bryce's lack of support for Lion: Bryce had the same problem when OS 9 changed into 10. It takes time and lots of effort to go through all code and secure, that it is compatible with an OS. And OS'es change constantly. Bryce never was fast, when it comes to updates.

So having two disks with two OS'es is a solution. I did that too. And it is possible to share a runtime between the different start-ups. So I have a complete installation of the applications under Leopard and under Lion as well as under Windows 7 through Parallels, all on the same computer. What does not work in one OS works in another. Be creative, not only in your art, but also with your applications.

• darkwolf29adarkwolf29a Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

So, I am trying to get Bryce 7.1 Pro up and running on a Mac running Mountain Lion. Right now, I cannot get it to run.

Is there any hope or am I completely hosed.

Thanks,

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It does say on the product page, and in the tech specs that

This product is currently incompatible with Mac OSX Lion and Mountain Lion. We do not recommend using these platforms for Bryce 7.

Sorry.

• darkwolf29adarkwolf29a Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I was hoping that they would have fixed that by now, really. I mean, Hexagon works...you'd think they could take something from there...or DAZ Studio!! LOL

Kinda ridiculous...and lame if you ask me.

Well...I guess I'll uninstall it, and go back to Sketchup....which works on just about any platform known to man. I guess I knew that the software would be ruined once it got bought up by Daz.

Sorry to rant and whine...but...this is entirely stupid. A great way to ruin good software.

Maybe someday I'll give another look...hopefully they'll have come to their senses by then.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2013

Sorry to rant and whine...

Not as sorry as we are to have to listen to another Mac user ranting and whining instead of finding a work around. :roll:

And yes I'm a Mac user, I use Bryce 7.1 Pro everyday on a perfectly working Mac running a perfectly working copy of Bryce on a Mac OS that not only runs Bryce but also runs every other software I need perfectly too.

And the software wasn't ruined when it was bought up by Daz. The latest version has given us more and better features than Bryce has ever had. Daz has made Bryce much much better, not ruined it.

Apple ruined it for the stick in the mud Mac users that can't be assed or just point blank refuse to find ways to work Bryce (it runs using Parallels or an other Windoze emulator, you can set up a partition running Leopard, you can buy a perfectly working older Mac with Leopard installed for less than £120 on eBay and run Bryce on that etc.).
    It's not Daz's fault that Lion (which was released after Bryce 7.1) was not compatible with Bryce.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

I'm currently on Mountain Lion. I use quite a few applications including the Adobe Creative Suite and other major programs. Bryce is the last of the big apps that I still want to use that isn't Lion/Mountain Lion compatible. I realize that not every company has the resources to keep up all the software in a timely manner all the time, but it's been quite a while since Lion came out, about two and half years, which would make you think that is plenty of time to update Bryce to be compatible with at least Lion since it still allows 32-bit programs. However, since just about every program has moved to 64-bit even here at Daz. I'm hoping that Bryce will become a 64-bit program and that's one of the reasons for the long delay.

I did notice on another thread that Bryce 7.5 is in testing. I have no idea what level of testing, but just having it being mentioned and not have the post deleted gives me hope that it's in beta testing, not alpha. Either way, I certainly hope Daz will give Platinum members a beta preview option so we can put Bryce through it's paces. It would be very nice to be able to use Bryce again on my Mac.

edited December 1969

Sorry MacSavers, I think what you read about Bryce 7.5 was most likely a joke (If it's the thread I'm thinking of).

At present Daz doesn't have anyone on staff who can recode Bryce.
    Ever the optimist, we all believe that when that situation alters Daz will prioritise the Mountain Lion issue and the 64bit issue, but at the moment, there is no word of when that will be.

edited December 1969

There have been similar complaints with Hexagon, but they did finally come out with a fix to make it useable again.

Still, even being a joke, Daz isn't in the habit of letting threads or posts exist that could cause frustration on their end. Bryce is also a true money maker, unlike Hexagon, so it would probably receive a higher priority than Hexagon. Even Carrara gets some love. Obviously DazStudio is at the top of the food chain here, but Bryce isn't at the bottom.

edited December 1969

So, the problem is not only that MAC-users of Bryce cant’ work with the program, is not only that Daz has issues to develop the Bryce (funds, availability, experience programers etc.), is that new users with MAC systems (and beleave me, there are many and increasing every year), will avoid to buy this very good program, old-users will try to found other software and at the end Daz will lose all the MAC's customers.

Well to put it bluntly, the possibility of losing all the Mac/Bryce customers isn't going to change anything. Like it or not there just aren't enough of you and therefore the loss of business from all Mac/Bryce users would have little to no impact on Daz's bottomline. If there were enough users that Daz would feel it to lose all Mac/Bryce customers then Daz would have been forced to find a way to fix the Mac/Bryce problem before now.

I doubt your forecast though, there are Mac users right now enjoying Bryce 7.1 Pro, some even making a living from it. They're not looking for a way to use Bryce, they have found a way.

edited December 1969

Well to put it bluntly, the possibility of losing all the Mac/Bryce customers isn't going to change anything. Like it or not there just aren't enough of you and therefore the loss of business from all Mac/Bryce users would have little to no impact on Daz's bottomline. If there were enough users that Daz would feel it to lose all Mac/Bryce customers then Daz would have been forced to find a way to fix the Mac/Bryce problem before now.

I doubt your forecast though, there are Mac users right now enjoying Bryce 7.1 Pro, some even making a living from it. They're not looking for a way to use Bryce, they have found a way.

The only people still using Bryce on the Mac are using older computers with a 4-year old Mac OS. They certainly aren't 'purchasing' new copies. Right now, I'm fairly certain, that Mac sales are pretty much nonexistent. This is strictly due to the fact that you can't use it on the newer machines and Mac OS. Since the newer machines are faster and can render much faster than the older computers, anyone wanting to improve Bryce's performance are out of luck on a Mac.

Of course, if you don't own a Mac, you shouldn't care. Mac users should be very concerned. If you don't own a Mac and are commenting on this issue... why? You have nothing to gain from this conversation and surprisingly very little to offer.

edited December 1969

MacSavers said:

The only people still using Bryce on the Mac are using older computers with a 4-year old Mac OS. They certainly aren't 'purchasing' new copies. Right now, I'm fairly certain, that Mac sales are pretty much nonexistent. This is strictly due to the fact that you can't use it on the newer machines and Mac OS. Since the newer machines are faster and can render much faster than the older computers, anyone wanting to improve Bryce's performance are out of luck on a Mac.

Of course, if you don't own a Mac, you shouldn't care. Mac users should be very concerned. If you don't own a Mac and are commenting on this issue... why? You have nothing to gain from this conversation and surprisingly very little to offer.

You ASSuME too much. There are some Mac users enjoying Bryce 7.1 Pro on older systems running an old OS then there are some on brand new systems using things like Parallels.

Sounds to me you've taken your own personal situation and your own refusal to do what is necessary to be able to run Bryce 7.1 Pro and projected that on everyone else so that you can make unsubstantiated claims in the hopes of threatening Daz into making life more convenient for you. "You better fix Bryce for Mac Daz or you're going to lose all these customers".

You shouldn't ASSuME that Windows users have nothing to offer or no reason to care either. First of all a windows user can tell you just as easily as a MAc user that Bryce is currently not being developed and there is no timeline for when that will change but when it does change Daz has stated that the Mac compatability issue will be top priority. Aside from that though we windows users also enjoy this forum as it is not a MAc only forum and frankly we're tired of seeing people coming in here and pissing all over Daz just because they are mad they can't do what they want, when they want, the way they want. Okay now run along and get back to holding your breath and stamping your feet in protest.

edited March 2013

OK, once again can I remind you to keep it civil, avoid arguing with each other and please NO OS wars. Thankyou

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:

You ASSuME too much. There are some Mac users enjoying Bryce 7.1 Pro on older systems running an old OS then there are some on brand new systems using things like Parallels.

Sounds to me you've taken your own personal situation and your own refusal to do what is necessary to be able to run Bryce 7.1 Pro and projected that on everyone else so that you can make unsubstantiated claims in the hopes of threatening Daz into making life more convenient for you. "You better fix Bryce for Mac Daz or you're going to lose all these customers".

You shouldn't ASSuME that Windows users have nothing to offer or no reason to care either. First of all a windows user can tell you just as easily as a MAc user that Bryce is currently not being developed and there is no timeline for when that will change but when it does change Daz has stated that the Mac compatability issue will be top priority. Aside from that though we windows users also enjoy this forum as it is not a MAc only forum and frankly we're tired of seeing people coming in here and pissing all over Daz just because they are mad they can't do what they want, when they want, the way they want. Okay now run along and get back to holding your breath and stamping your feet in protest.

Who said Windows users have nothing to offer? I just stated that commenting on a Mac situation isn't productive. I wouldn't comment on Windows issues. So why comment on Mac ones if you don't have a Mac?

As for using Parallels, yes, it is a work around. The key part of that is 'work around'. It's not native, it's slow and less than an optimum solution. However, in a pinch, assuming you've actually spent money to have Parallels, it's an option. However, it's another reason why Mac users lament since it requires an additional purchase, not just Parallels but having a copy of Windows as well, so you're looking at around a $200+ purchase. Not everyone is able to do that. Having a working copy of Bryce would be more productive.

In the end, Daz will upgrade Bryce. Just like any company, they will apply the resources where they feel they best suit and profit the company. Bryce is valuable enough to continue to keep around and upgrade. As customers, we want it now, but just like anything else, we have to have some patience.

edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    ... it's another reason why Mac users lament since it requires an additional purchase...

I don't lament. I make money from using Bryce on my Mac.... hence I find a way to use Bryce on my Mac.
    Of course It helps that Macs don't wear out and it also helps that I don't care for Mountain Lion as all my software works 100% perfectly under Leopard.

Maybe you could try to partition a start up drive with Leopard installed?

edited March 2013

MacSavers said:
    ... it's another reason why Mac users lament since it requires an additional purchase...

I don't lament. I make money from using Bryce on my Mac.... hence I find a way to use Bryce on my Mac.
    Of course It helps that Macs don't wear out and it also helps that I don't care for Mountain Lion as all my software works 100% perfectly under Leopard.

Maybe you could try to partition a start up drive with Leopard installed?

Unfortunately, I am unable to do that. To increase the speed of my work, I upgraded to a 2012 MacBook Pro laptop. It cannot support anything less than Mountain Lion. The only program that I use to make money with, play with... well, every program actually... that doesn't work is Bryce. All my other programs are either 64-bit or compatible enough to run in 32-bit in Mountain Lion. I have one 3D program that is 32-bit and has a registration issue upon start up, but the creator was able to send me a file to fix that. The program itself runs great, just can't get past the initial registration screen if you have installed it fresh. Since I installed all my programs fresh, to eliminate bringing over previous possible corruption, it was the only one I ran into with an issue. I even am able to run Hexagon and Carrara Pro in addition to Poser 2012 and DazStudio 4.5.

Post edited by MacSavers on
    edited December 1969

You can still run Snow Leopard as a virtual machine through Parallels... OK you need to buy Parallels but it's a way and Parallels 8 plus Bryce 7.1 Pro at it's present price is still cheaper than Bryce 7.1 Pro was when I bought it. :-)

edited December 1969

You can still run Snow Leopard as a virtual machine through Parallels... OK you need to buy Parallels but it's a way and Parallels 8 plus Bryce 7.1 Pro at it's present price is still cheaper than Bryce 7.1 Pro was when I bought it. :-)

I would also need a copy of Snow Leopard. I gave that to the individual who purchased my old laptop and my new one didn't come with any 10.6+ system disks. The other problem with that is you would have to get a copy from someone else since Apple no longer sells Snow Leopard. One other issue is that most Snow Leopard disks are either machine specific or an upgrade disk, which means you would need a copy of Leopard (10.5) as well.

Outside of the Bryce upgrade, it just gets messy. Fortunately I have a work around for Bryce currently, but I worry that I might need it soon and will have to pay a bunch of money for a single program just to be able to use what I paid for. Of course, Daz is under no obligation to make it compatible for free, I assume that it will cost money to upgrade, and under no obligation to upgrade it at all for that matter.

Still, it would be nice to use it again without having to jump through hoops. Expensive hoops.

edited December 1969

Apple were giving Snow Leopard away last year as a free download... Even if you could only get Leopard, Bryce runs on it so no need for Snow really.

But here it is for sale for a mere £14 on the Apple website

Yes, I agree that a new upgraded version of Bryce would be the best solution, but we can only work with what we've actually got, not what we would like to have. All we have at the moment and for the foreseeable future are workarounds. :)

edited December 1969

Apple were giving Snow Leopard away last year as a free download... Even if you could only get Leopard, Bryce runs on it so no need for Snow really.

But here it is for sale for a mere £14 on the Apple website

Yes, I agree that a new upgraded version of Bryce would be the best solution, but we can only work with what we've actually got, not what we would like to have. All we have at the moment and for the foreseeable future are workarounds. :)

True, there are workarounds. Bryce is the only program that requires such. No other program I use requires it. That includes but not exclusive to: Adobe Creative Suite, Strata Design 3D, Strata Live 3D, Strata Foto 3D, FileMaker, Suitcase, Microsoft Office, Poser Pro 2012, Sculptris, StoryMill, and a myriad of smaller apps and utilities, both from large and small publishers.

Yes, you can do a workaround. But is it worth it?

edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    True, there are workarounds. Bryce is the only program that requires such. No other program I use requires it. That includes but not exclusive to: Adobe Creative Suite, Strata Design 3D, Strata Live 3D, Strata Foto 3D, FileMaker, Suitcase, Microsoft Office, Poser Pro 2012, Sculptris, StoryMill, and a myriad of smaller apps and utilities, both from large and small publishers.
    Bryce 7.1 was released before Lion... It hasn't been updated since Lion was released. When (if) it gets updated, Daz promise us it's a priority... but like with most aspects of life, you just can't get the staff.

Last year about a third of my income came from using Bryce.... yes it's worth it... to me, for other people obviously not so much.
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    Bryce 7.1 was released before Lion... It hasn't been updated since Lion was released. When (if) it gets updated, Daz promise us it's a priority... but like with most aspects of life, you just can't get the staff.

Last year about a third of my income came from using Bryce.... yes it's worth it... to me, for other people obviously not so much.

I'm thrilled that someone in the Mac community can make a living off of Bryce. Unfortunately for me, I can't let Bryce hold me back from all the other programs that have embraced 64-bit. I make far more from those than Bryce. While I like Bryce and will continue to use it once it's updated, I can't justify the cost of the work around and my new computer is already paying for itself with the other programs, so going back isn't an option either.

edited December 1969

Well Illustrator, In-Design and Photoshop all work fine on my computer too in fact I haven't had to give a single bit of software up by sticking to Leopard... Maybe I'm a little jaded about claims of newest computers speeding work up... I've always found that whichever speed Mac I'm using, I get the work done on time.... :cheese:

DeadlinePic.jpg
    1600 x 1300 - 568K
    edited December 1969

Well Illustrator, In-Design and Photoshop all work fine on my computer too in fact I haven't had to give a single bit of software up by sticking to Leopard... Maybe I'm a little jaded about claims of newest computers speeding work up... I've always found that whichever speed Mac I'm using, I get the work done on time.... :cheese:

I guess I do more work or more complex work. ::shrugs::

edited December 1969

I bet your superiority complex is much better than mine too. :roll: :lol:

Laughable!

edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    MacSavers said:

Who said Windows users have nothing to offer? I just stated that commenting on a Mac situation isn't productive. I wouldn't comment on Windows issues. So why comment on Mac ones if you don't have a Mac?

As for using Parallels, yes, it is a work around. The key part of that is 'work around'. It's not native, it's slow and less than an optimum solution. However, in a pinch, assuming you've actually spent money to have Parallels, it's an option. However, it's another reason why Mac users lament since it requires an additional purchase, not just Parallels but having a copy of Windows as well, so you're looking at around a $200+ purchase. Not everyone is able to do that. Having a working copy of Bryce would be more productive.

In the end, Daz will upgrade Bryce. Just like any company, they will apply the resources where they feel they best suit and profit the company. Bryce is valuable enough to continue to keep around and upgrade. As customers, we want it now, but just like anything else, we have to have some patience.

You implied Windows users have nothing to offer when you said "You have nothing to gain from this conversation and surprisingly very little to offer". This conversation is more then just a "Mac situation" because you take your Mac problem as you percieve it and then rail against Daz about it rather then putting the blame where it belongs with Apple. When Bryce exited developement it worked with the latest release of the Mac OS out at the time. The had put out notices that they would be moving away from supporting the code that is at he heart of the problem but they were vague about it. According to one of the people working with the Bryce Developement team the impression was that this change wouldn't happen until they did a major revision which might lead to OS 11 rather then a minor revision such as OS 10.6 to 10.7. The change Apple did was arbitrary and was based on a license expiring on a 3rd party solution to the problem of supporting older hardware. It didn't profit Apple much to allow users to be able to keep using computers that weren't all that old at the time and now it was going to cost Apple more to renew that license. So Apple basically said screw that, we'll not renew, do away with support for older systems and force customers to either buy new computers and OS's if they want the newest abilities available. Wow pretty amazing that me being a "windows user" I would have so much information about this "Mac Situation".

As for work arounds, I never said any were ideal and believe me I get that it's annoying probably almost as annoying as seeing people dirty the Bryce forum with rants at Daz about how they can't use Bryce on their new Macs. At first I used to not care. I figured hey maybe Daz needs a kick in the pants from it's Mac Customer base but after more then a year it was clear that no amount of rants or threats of lost business was going to make Daz work faster. At that point work arounds started making sense for people who were claiming that not having access to Bryce was a major problem for them. Of course many of those were people just saying that thinking it might make Daz move faster but for people who really wanted to get Bryce working now, for their job or whatever, those work arounds were life savers. Now if you're just someone putzing around with 3D as a hobby and you can just as easily use sketch-up to do what you need then yeah, sure, I can see where shelling out money for Parallels and Windows might not be such a great suggestion but it's still all there is for now and here we are more then 2 years since Bryce was last worked on.

You are right about in the end, what you're failing to recognize is that Daz already is and has been all along, applying it's resources where it's most profitable and unfortunately for Mac users that can't tolerate the work around solutions, the Mac portion of Daz's customer base never was and probably never will be terribly profitable. This is largely due to the fact that the type of customer that Daz products appeal the most to is much more likely to own a PC then a Mac

edited December 1969

I have asked once, and will ask again.

Please keep the discussion civil,. Please avoid personal attacks and please do not start another OS war. Thankyou.

This discussion has been closed.