problem with tools (snap/align and "see details")

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello,

I'm a newbie on Hexagon 2.5.1.79 on Mac (10.8.5) … But I have a long experience on AMAPI (since ver.2.04 by Ionawat !!!).

It seems that the snap/align tools couldn't be forced on an axis : I can't align i just can snap …

Another trouble with the "see detail" tool (i don't know the exact term on english version). When i use it i drawn a rectangle on my scene to choose the part i want to zoom, and then click … Nothing appends, the red rectangle seem to be sticked to my mouse and i can only used the escape key to go out of this tool !

Thank you for the help and sorry for my poor english (i'm french … nobody is perfect ;-) )

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There is quite a bit about the Snap/Align tool in the manual.

You should have the manual in your applications folder under 'docs'. There is a French version as well, but I'm not sure if it is included.

• edited December 1969

Hello and thank you … but :

I've the french manual … And as i understand the snap/align tool work the same as in Amapi :
    - I choose the tool
    - I click on a point of my object
    - I use the space bar to force an alignment on an axis
    - I click on a second point on my scene to align my first point on, along the chosen axis …

I know that (well working since Amapi 2.04) … But on Hexagon 2.5, if i follow those steps … My first point is snap to the second point ! Not align with along the chosen axis !
    What's wrong ?

And about the "see detail" zoom ?

Thanks

edited December 1969

First 'View Detail' You don't need to select anything in the Scene first.

Select the View Detail tool , the cursor changes to a red box with a white '+' sign inside it.
    Move to the part of the scene that you want to see magnified.
    Left Click on that part of the scene, holding down the LMB (Left Mouse Button)
    Drag the mouse to make a square around the object you want to view more detail
    Release the LMB, and the camera should jump into that area.

Snap/Align works perfectly for me

Select the S/A tool, click on a point on the object you want to move.
    Select the Axis using the Space bar. (You may need to move the camera around to see the 'Blue' axis)
    Select a point on the object you want to 'Align To', and click on it.

You may need to move on one axis first, then select the tool again to move to the next axis, otherwise it just snaps to the point you select.

As far as I can see, you cannot move on two axis at once or you just get Snap instead of Align.

• edited December 1969

it was the way i used those 2 tools …

Let me show you :

- Detail view : http://bcv-creation.com/MOV/detail.mov
    in this video, every time the size of red rectangle change, i "left-click".

- Align here : http://bcv-creation.com/MOV/align.mov

thanks

edited December 1969

On the Align tool, you are using the wrong axis. If I do it like you did, and select the RED axis, I get the same result.

Do the same as you have done, only use the BLUE axis this time, and the cone will move over and Align with the selected point at the same height it was originally. You can then use the Align tool again, and THEN select the RED axis to move it to where you want.

You need to use the tool several times on different axis to get what you want, it cannot be done in one move.

The Detail View ('View Detail') does not seem to be working correctly for you. It may be a graphic issue. I can only suggest to reset your Preferences, Edit > Preferences Editor and then use 'Reset all preferences to default' to see if that fixes it. You can also use the View Selection tool next to it, and then use the mouse wheel to zoom in?

• edited December 1969

thank you Jimmy for your patience …

But for align tool, red, blue or green first don't change anything !

I re-initialize the preferences, put Hexagon in english … Nothing works even for the view detail tool !

Are you on Mac (which OS) with the same version (2.5.1.79) ?
    Do you think i must try to re-install Hexagon ?

Al

edited December 1969

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Hexagon, but it may not fix your problem.

I am using a PC with the same version. 2.5.1.79 which I think is the latest version available.

There were always problems with the Mac when using Hex, but I thought most of them were sorted out in that last round of bug fixes. You could try using a different graphics driver, if one is available. Before that, you could try Edit > Preferences > 3D Display > Advanced, and set the OpenGL Optimization to 'None' if it is not set to that already.

I also have Fast Transparency, Anti-aliasing and User clipping Plane all unchecked, but Local Redraw and Two Sided Lighting are both checked. I am running out of ideas I'm afraid.

You could try the above, but Hex does not work very well on some Macs. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure other users here use Macs as well, and maybe they will be able to help you more.