Can 2 Computers use the same DAZ Library and DIM account?

I just got a super, new computer, (or new Super Computer <grin>) and am in the process of transitioning over to the new machine, but would like to still keep using the old machine for rendering too.  The question is, can I use my DAZ content library on TWO DIFFERENT computers?  I have lots and lots of content (like, over 11,000 files - YIKES!), and some of it from other sites far and wide, so a mere DIM reinstall won't cut it. I want to continue doing renders on BOTH machines and downloading my purchases to BOTH machines, etc. but am worried that DIM will lose its mind. Is this even possible?

Any advice, or tips?  Thread links if already covered?

Thanks in advance, my DazFriends!  

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

I have two installs of DIM and while I have two libraries I can access the one on an external on my other computer over my ethernet network, my issues are Win7 and Win10 though one using homegroups and the other not complicated by soft links so not all my main drives let themselves be shared.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,309

I have two installs of DIM and while I have two libraries I can access the one on an external on my other computer over my ethernet network, my issues are Win7 and Win10 though one using homegroups and the other not complicated by soft links so not all my main drives let themselves be shared.

OK, thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Yes, you can use them on 2 computers, as long as they're both yours.

I've used mine with my laptop and desktop when I still had both. I did thay by installing content only once an external USB drive that I used with both machines. Advantage was that I had all scene data available from both machines no matter which computer I had created them on. The downside of using an USB drive was that I couldn't use both machines at the same time, for example having one rendering while I was working on the other. As both computers were on the same network I could have used a shared network drive to solve that problem.

If you choose to install content on both machines, you should be able to use DIM on both. Each DIM instance has its own list of installed files, you could install some content on one machine and not the other.

edited October 2019
    Leana said:

Yes, you can use them on 2 computers, as long as they're both yours.

Good to know.  I may have to keep things as they are on the old machine as I have over five years worth of saved scenes that I revisit from time to time. I really dread breaking all those saved scenes!  I made a copy of the library folder and will use that.  It is a relief to know that I can install DIM and start using it on the new machine as well. Will it automatically pick up where I left off on the old machine, or will I need to 're-import metadata' or anything like that?

I REALLY appreciate all the info!

Post edited by Gogger on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

DIM on second machine won't know what's installed on the other one automatically. I think you can get it to "pick up" what was installed if you transfer the manifest files from the first machine, as they're what tells DIM what is installed.

And yes, you will probably have to import metadata if you use smart content tab, not just copy over the files.

Leana said:

DIM on second machine won't know what's installed on the other one automatically. I think you can get it to "pick up" what was installed if you transfer the manifest files from the first machine, as they're what tells DIM what is installed.

And yes, you will probably have to import metadata if you use smart content tab, not just copy over the files.

Excellent info - thank you so much!

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,251

You should be able to use the scene files on the new computer as long as you can access the same library structure, either swapping a USB drive, copying the library or using a network drive. The new computer would need all the metadata for its own CMS database, as Leana said, and don't forget your User Data, also. It gets saved in the same Runtime/Support folder as the product metadata, but you have to export it yourself. Keeping DIM in synch would be a more involved process. With separate libraries, it would be easier to install everything on both computers. You would only have to download once, and copy the archive and its manifest over to the other computer's download folder. Refresh the second DIM, and it will see the new products. You could use some sort of sync software to make sure you don't miss anything.