CPU running too hot with 4.12.0.86 and Iray

Hello,

My CPU is running about near 90 degrees celcius when rendering in Iray.  In the Render settings tab I have CPU unchecked in Advanced tab Photoreal devices and Interactive devices.  I am checking my 1070 GPU.  OptiX is checked and checked or not I get the same issue.   My CPU is doing most of the rendering work despite what I am asking Studio to do for me.  I have all other windows and tasks closed....any ideas?  

CPU running hot.JPG
1010 x 2065 - 110K

Comments

• Make sure the GPU renders a simple scene, just a single small object or the like. If that turns out to work then the issue is the scenes you're rendering are too big for the GPU and dropping to CPU. You'll need to find a way to reduce the size of the scenes to make them work on the CPU.

However your CPU should not be running that hot. What cPU do you have? What cooler? Is the CPU overclocked? When was the last time you cleaned out the computer's insides?

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Before I got my new system (a Boxx T3) back in March, my WIn7 system would barely even let me enable Iray let alone render.  I'd use the utiliy GPU-Z to monitor temp.  When it hit 101.5 C., it would just shut down the system to protect itself.

In SoCal and it's "wonderfull" air, I had to haul in my air compressor & blow the system out ~ once a month. Not an issue now (being in Oregon now helps a lot with air quality), but I can now max out everything render settings wise + even have my main 3D app (Lightwave) running on 2nd monitor to compare things to the Daz scene.

GPU rendering is pretty much the standard these days.  You really can just slap in a new vid card either unfortunately in an "older" system.  Hate to be the one to break the news, but start saving those pennies.

• Make sure the GPU renders a simple scene, just a single small object or the like. If that turns out to work then the issue is the scenes you're rendering are too big for the GPU and dropping to CPU. You'll need to find a way to reduce the size of the scenes to make them work on the CPU.

However your CPU should not be running that hot. What cPU do you have? What cooler? Is the CPU overclocked? When was the last time you cleaned out the computer's insides?

Hi kenshaw011267,

Thanks for the reply.  My system is an older one I7 4790K with liquid cooling and no overclocking.  Can't remember the last time I cleaned the inside.    cheeky   I figured the scene might be too big and offload some of the work to the CPU, but it seems like the CPU is almost taking the full load.  I downloaded the most recent Nvidia drivers, and rebooted the system.  Rendering a different scene and my CPU is around 57-64 degrees celsius with GPU about the same under full load rendering in Iray.  I will have to clean the inside of the computer, but it may be scene related.  Weird that my GPU throttled back on that scene and CPU took for full load.    

• That's how iray works. If a scene is too big for the GPU's VRAM the GPU doesn't do the render at all. It is all on the CPU. A water cooled CPU that isn't overclocked should never hit 90C. An old AIO can be dry, or very low on liquid. It evaporates right through the tubes. 

I'd open the box and blow out the dust and see if that improves the thermals. If it doesn't make sure all the fans are running. If they arethen you likely have a badAIO and you'll need to replace it.

• All of the advice above is good, but I would like to add one thing.  My system also uses an AIO cooler, and my 5-year old system is now on its 3rd AIO cooler.  In every case, it was the pump that wasn't moving the coolant properly.  Luckily I was able to return the previous ones for a free replacement, but it did mean huge temperature increases whilst rendering. 

• All of the advice above is good, but I would like to add one thing.  My system also uses an AIO cooler, and my 5-year old system is now on its 3rd AIO cooler.  In every case, it was the pump that wasn't moving the coolant properly.  Luckily I was able to return the previous ones for a free replacement, but it did mean huge temperature increases whilst rendering. 

There's been a lot of talk recently of manufacturing defects with AIO's. Unless you have to build in a bad airflow or very small case or want to seriously OC I'd avoid them. There are very good air coolers out there that will likely give you the same cooling for lower cost.

There's been a lot of talk recently of manufacturing defects with AIO's. Unless you have to build in a bad airflow or very small case or want to seriously OC I'd avoid them. There are very good air coolers out there that will likely give you the same cooling for lower cost.

All great info, but I will also add I render the same scene in Octane 4.05 with none of these heating issues.  Scene is within the 8gigs on my 1070 and heating is in the 50's for the GPU and CPU in the 40's.  Rendering in DAZ and Iray I get the issues.  Weird.

Agreed.  I have a spare AIO cooler still sealed up in the box for emergencies.  Once this one fails (as I'm sure it will eventually), I'll swap to the spare and that should see out the life of this machine.  I'm already decided that on my next build I'm going to go with somethign like one of the Noctua coolers and get a much bigger case so that I can spread out the GPUs and get better overall airflow. 

• When I build a system for a client I pretty much default to the Hyper 212 as that is plenty of cooling for desktop CPU's that aren't OC'd.

• When I build a system for a client I pretty much default to the Hyper 212 as that is plenty of cooling for desktop CPU's that aren't OC'd.

Excellent, and they are not that expensive....  Cooler Master Hyper 212 on Amazon for 32 bucks.  Thank you for the info Kenshaw!  I will be building a new system next year.....so will keep this in mind!

• qertqert Posts: 89

Ever think of undervolting?

My laptop used to run an average 96 degrees when rendering and ever sinced i undervolted it has ran an average 85 degrees.

I use Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility for undervolting.

Best simple trick for instant cooling.

• taki701 said:

Ever think of undervolting?

My laptop used to run an average 96 degrees when rendering and ever sinced i undervolted it has ran an average 85 degrees.

I use Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility for undervolting.

Best simple trick for instant cooling.

Interesting, worth looking into.  Thanks taki701!

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited October 2019

I'm sure I probalby just jinxed myself, but I've been running a RYZEN 7 1800x with a NZXT Kraken X62 AIO for about 28 months now without issue. When I first built the system, we couldn't get it to run hot during stress testing, no matter what we threw at it (though I will admit that we replaced the stock 280mm radiator fans with RGB Corsair HD's)(I also don't overclock this system...honestly never felt the need to...I couldn't be happier with the 1800x). I totally get the potential issues with AIO's and I've always been nervous about them, but there are also issues with air coolers too. Like noise. O. M. G. the noise. And dust. And the need to clean out your case that much more often. And space. I have a full size case (Corsair Crystal 570x) and I can't imagine losing the space I have due to a bulky air cooler. Diesel GPU's are...well, diesel...and they'll eat up any and all space you have. 

Prior to my current system, I was running an Intel 4820k with a Corsair H60, which is a low to mid-grade AIO, and I didn't have any problems with that either, though it certainly didn't run like ice like the Kraken (which is admittely a bit overkill, lol). I think I had that system running for about 5 years before I rebuilt from scratch with what I have now. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • A 280mm radiator is huge. In 28 months you've definitely lost liquid but the surface area of the tuibes, the part where most of the evaporations aoccurs, compared to the volume of liquid, means you should have lost relatively little if everything is built properly. AIO's with 120mm rads are where the issue of evaporation is worst.

You should definitely take a look at the rad though. any dust that is getting into your system is likely stuck between the fins. When I was running a water cooled rig I blew out the radiator every month.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited October 2019

A 280mm radiator is huge. In 28 months you've definitely lost liquid but the surface area of the tuibes, the part where most of the evaporations aoccurs, compared to the volume of liquid, means you should have lost relatively little if everything is built properly. AIO's with 120mm rads are where the issue of evaporation is worst.

You should definitely take a look at the rad though. any dust that is getting into your system is likely stuck between the fins. When I was running a water cooled rig I blew out the radiator every month.

Yeah, I have a datavac duster that I use to clean the system out every couple months. Honestly, the Corsair case is like the Fort Knox of dust. I have the radiator mounted to the front with the two fans as intake, another two 280mm fans on top as intake, and then exhaust out the back...and the intake screens get matted up and need to be cleaned more frequently, but the inside of the case stays really clean. Which thankfully also means that my GPU stays nice and clean. It's always nice when not much comes out when I open the whole thing up. On top of all this, I have six cats, lol...so you can imagine. 

Temperature-wise, at 100% load, it tops out at about 57-58 degrees and holds there. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on