NIGHT VISION CAMERA/FILTER

Been looking and haven't been able to find any camera or filter that mimic's the effect of looking through night vision goggles.  Not looking for the goggles... just an IRAY filter.  There is a 'green' setting for this product https://www.daz3d.com/iray-lens-fx but it still lacks the accenture/glow that show up around in scene light sources and the graininess that's often seen in these images. 

... Yes it can all be done in photoshop but a lens filter/effect would be handy

night vision.jpg
1875 x 1222 - 527K

Comments

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited October 2019

Interesting idea, but I suspect a green filter in combinaiton with heavy bloom turned on would give decent emulation.

Keep in mind that modern sensor images are a lot sharper than the more popularised images. Click on the image on this link for a video example.

https://news.lockheedmartin.com/2019-09-17-Lockheed-Martin-Continues-Advanced-EOTS-Development

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited October 2019

There's already a Bloom filter for the flares.  For the rest, you need green lights.  I also had a transparentish green plane set up in front of the camera, which makes a small difference.  The only lights are the 2 emissive building lights you see.

So this was done with the denoiser on, and Noise Filtering set to 5.  The image was rendered a few minutes only, at 700x500, then blown up to 1400x1000 in post, and brightness increased and contrast decrease.

Mostly the same here, except the Noise Degrain Radius changed from default to 10, and the Blur Difference changed from default to 0.5.  I like the second better.  I also stopped it a little earlier than the first one which is why there's no light reflected in the second window on the right.  Neither render took more than a 3 or 4 minutes on CPU.  There's a lot of geometry in this scene, and I didn't bother fixing the set for this test.  On my GPU it would have taken about a minute, I'd guess.

I don't think you can't get easily around post work with stuff like this, because night vision images are typically low in contrast.  These aren't optimal images, but I think they show that you can get decentish night vision-type images with just the tools provided in Daz and the Iray render settings with minimal post work.

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945
    edited October 2019

I am pretty sure that could be postworked easily enough too

the camera imager could possibly be tweaked too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on