New Machine : One Video card for displays one for rendering

I finally got my Dream Machine built to use for Art and Modeling, primarily for Daz Studio:

• Auros Master z390 MotherBoard
  • Intel i9 9900k CPU
  • 64 GB 3200 Vengence RAM
  • SeaSonic Platinum 1000w Power Supply
  • EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra 11GB Video Card
  • Solid State Drives

My old pc had a EVGA 1050 ti 4GB Video card. I know with my 2080ti plugged in, I am using 16 lanes. Is there any benifit to adding my 1050ti card and using it to run my display allowing my 2080 ti to be used exclusively for rendering? I know adding both cards will drop them to 8 lanes each. Thank you guys for your input!

Comments

• Unless you also intend to game the number of lanes doesn't matter much. I've got a 1080ti in my x16 slot and my 2070 in a x4 slot. They both work in renders just fine.

• GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229

No gaming here. Thanks!

• I was thinking about doing a similar thing, but my question is kinda different - I'd like to leave my 1080ti for rendering and purchase a cheap AMD card for gaming - would there be any driver conflicts since one is AMD and other nvidia on the same motherboard?

• It should work. Just plug the monitor into the Radeon card, I'd put the Radeon in the x16 slot just to get the best pe4rformance. What slot a render card is in hardly matters.

• Yes there is!

You will free up some vram on your 2080ti that way. Windows will use your 1050ti for that instead.

And if your scenes ever are under 4gb in size then your 1050 will be able to help with the renders too.

Just remember to connect the monitor cables to the 1050 or windows will still use your 2080 as the main card.

• Win10 will not release VRAM except on Quadro's and perhaps the Titans even when the card isn't the one driving a monitor.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited October 2019

Win10 will not release VRAM except on Quadro's and perhaps the Titans even when the card isn't the one driving a monitor.

If the card is not wired to a monitor the vram allocation from windows is minimal, about 160mb in my pc. Plus if you dedicate the card to physics in the driver panel, then the vram allocation drops even further, about 90mb in my pc.

Using a separate card for the viewport also helps the interface performances since daz studio can use one card for opengl and one card for rendering including the iray preview. To get this you have to deselect the viewport card from the iray devices though.

As for amd together with nvidia there's a caveat for opencl drivers, since each installation overwrites the other. You have to fix it in the registry. Otherwise you'll have opencl only available in the last installed driver.

https://community.amd.com/message/2909519

Post edited by Padone on

Thanks for the continued information guys. My only delima now is if I place my 1050ti in the system. Air flow will be restricted. 2080ti takes up 3 slots and my 1050ti takes up 2. I will do some performance tests to see if there is any benefits from rendering to temperatures that will increase with the second card.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Thanks for the continued information guys. My only delima now is if I place my 1050ti in the system. Air flow will be restricted. 2080ti takes up 3 slots and my 1050ti takes up 2. I will do some performance tests to see if there is any benefits from rendering to temperatures that will increase with the second card.

You may have the option, depending on your case, to add some fans to improve air flow.  That will help your GPU fans out.

edited October 2019

Yeah, I have changed out all my fans and placed 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM, 4-Pin, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan with 3000RPM (120mm, Black) in the front, pulling air in. I place them and my 2080ti on 100% when I am rendering a scene that I know is going to work the system. It is funny because they can get loud, but not bad enough to me to warrant not using them for the cooling they provide. Most scenes I dont need them, but it is nice to crank it up and have my system sitting @ 60c - 65c while rendering.

sorry, dont know how my font got so big!

Post edited by GarrettDR on
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 556

I run 2x2080ti for rendering an an old 1070ti for the display. I don't play games on that machine, but I do surf the web and run Photoshop at the same time as I'm rendering. It's nice to have the display freed up from the rendering so I can put the CPU in there to use while rendering.

The  thing I found was to put the display video card in the low airflow position as it's not doing a whole lot of heavy lifting if you're not gaming. The rendering cards are the ones that need the airflow.

• rrward said:

I run 2x2080ti for rendering an an old 1070ti for the display. I don't play games on that machine, but I do surf the web and run Photoshop at the same time as I'm rendering. It's nice to have the display freed up from the rendering so I can put the CPU in there to use while rendering.

The  thing I found was to put the display video card in the low airflow position as it's not doing a whole lot of heavy lifting if you're not gaming. The rendering cards are the ones that need the airflow.

Just out of curiosity - what kind of motherboard do you have? Are there any standard ATX motherboards with support for 3+ GPUs?

• Lots of higher end boards have 3 or 4 full length PCIE slots. 

This has 3:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-10#kf

But pretty much all of the mid to high end X570 boards have that or more.