Iray Sun-Sky Implementation

MazhMazh Posts: 338
edited October 16 in The Commons

It was a long time since I last used Iray Sun-Sky and now I wonder at a certain detail, the SS sun node (from scene).

The Daz documentation says:

"SS Sun Node - Provides the ability to choose a node in the scene to indicate the direction from which the sun is shining; the direction of light is calculated between the position of the chosen node and the center of the environment dome."

Testing this with two spotligths, one close, one far, both pointing full frontal at her face.

So the one far away results in a smaller shadow, which makes sense when it's pointing to x/y/z 0.0.0 and it's just about the angle, but the light seems to have a different temperature and intensity too, maybe some partial covering of the virtual sun by the virtual ground ? smiley

And would't it make more sense, when it would be implemented like the direction of the virtual sun goes along the direction of the scene node (or at least just pointing to x/z 0.0, no idea about possible implications, just asking) ?

Close_SP.jpg
600 x 800 - 135K
Far_SP.jpg
600 x 800 - 133K
Post edited by Mazh on

Comments

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,276
    First, are you sure you turned the spotlights off? Then, I believe there is some setting relatIng to scaling and placement of the sun, I don't recall what it is and would have to check in Studio later, but if there is some physically scaled setting turned in it may in fact be placing the light source closer to the figure.
  • MazhMazh Posts: 338
    edited October 16
    First, are you sure you turned the spotlights off? Then, I believe there is some setting relatIng to scaling and placement of the sun, I don't recall what it is and would have to check in Studio later, but if there is some physically scaled setting turned in it may in fact be placing the light source closer to the figure.

Thanks for your answer, "Physically Scaled Sun" seems to work (for the temparature and intensity), and I would expect "Sun-Sky Only" not to be influenced by scene lights, but 've tested it, just in case. wink

Seems that the nice and bright sun shine effect is gone with PSS switched off sad

Post edited by Mazh on