Help Moving to External Harddrive

Ok, so it finally happened - my Daz library got too big for my harddrive.  I'm almost completely out of room.  

My husband has an external harddrive I can use, but I'm not sure how to do this.  I know how to migrate all the folders over to the new drive, but how do I set Daz Studio up so that it can find everything and still have Content Library and everything working?  Is there a step-by-step on this somewhere?  Preferably about how to do this with a Mac?  I haven't used a Windows PC in over a decade, so I'm not sure how similar the steps would be.

I'm really not very computer-savvy, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 10,690

I've done this a few times on a few macs, here is how to do it, and what traps you might fall into while doing it.

(1) Locate your Library Folder (the folder which contains Props, People, Runtime etc). 
    (2) Copy that folder to the new drive ( go get dinner, lol, will take time)
    (3) Start DIM, go to settings, add the new directory, which will be somethibg like /Volumes/<disk name>/<folder name>
    [Trap #1 explained below]
    (4) When the new directory is added in DIM, remove the old one from DIM  (so DIM wont still install stuff there)
    (5) Quit DIM
    (6) Start DS
    (7) Goto Prefs -> Content Tab , click big button "Content Directory Manager"
    (8) Add the new directory to DAZ Studiio Formats (and Poser formats maybe), then remove the old directory from DS Content directories.
    (9) Select the Content Directory Tab, in the little action menu, select Content DB Manintainance, and check Export UserData and Reimport Metadata ( Take a coffee break)
    (10) Now Quit DS (to save all settings), start it up again. (if you happen to crash before a natural quit, sometimes settings after such an operation can be trashed)
    (11) Test DS.

Trap #1:
    Mac OS X has a little ugly trick to handle disk dismount / remount. If the remote disk is dismounted due to system sleep, and remounted, sometimes, not always, it is now mounted not as Diskname, but as Diskname-1, or Diskname-2 the second time. You don't see that as the Finder removes the -1 info, but if you use the terminal as type "the commands I cannot type here as the forums sees them as hack attempts", du show the files in /Volumes, you will see MyDisk, MyDisk-1 etc.

Now, DS and DIM saves the content directories as /Volumes/MyDisk/Folder, so when the Disk comes back as /Volumes/MyDisk-1,  /Volumes/MyDisk is still there, but appears to be "empty", so DS wont find any content at all. To solve this, dismount the disk manually from the Finder and mount it again.

Hope this helps.

• Totte said:

I've done this a few times on a few macs, here is how to do it, and what traps you might fall into while doing it.

(1) Locate your Library Folder (the folder which contains Props, People, Runtime etc). 
    (3) Start DIM, go to settings, add the new directory, which will be somethibg like /Volumes/<disk name>/<folder name>
    (4) When the new directory is added in DIM, remove the old one from DIM  (so DIM wont still install stuff there)
    (5) Quit DIM
    (6) Start DS
    (8) Add the new directory to DAZ Studiio Formats (and Poser formats maybe), then remove the old directory from DS Content directories.
    (9) Select the Content Directory Tab, in the little action menu, select Content DB Manintainance, and check Export UserData and Reimport Metadata ( Take a coffee break)
    (10) Now Quit DS (to save all settings), start it up again. (if you happen to crash before a natural quit, sometimes settings after such an operation can be trashed)
    (11) Test DS.

Trap #1:
    Mac OS X has a little ugly trick to handle disk dismount / remount. If the remote disk is dismounted due to system sleep, and remounted, sometimes, not always, it is now mounted not as Diskname, but as Diskname-1, or Diskname-2 the second time. You don't see that as the Finder removes the -1 info, but if you use the terminal as type "the commands I cannot type here as the forums sees them as hack attempts", du show the files in /Volumes, you will see MyDisk, MyDisk-1 etc.

Now, DS and DIM saves the content directories as /Volumes/MyDisk/Folder, so when the Disk comes back as /Volumes/MyDisk-1,  /Volumes/MyDisk is still there, but appears to be "empty", so DS wont find any content at all. To solve this, dismount the disk manually from the Finder and mount it again.

Hope this helps.

Oh, this is perfect!  Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this, I really appreciate it! ^_^

• Totte said:

(5) Quit DIM
    (6) Start DS
    (11) Test DS.

Trap #1:

Hope this helps.

Is this basically the procedure for a Windows PC as well, minus the locations and potential pitfalls of course?

I had to switch over from my MacBook Pro to a Windows box for all of my art-related endeavors, since my laptop is old and slow and has a faulty GPU that makes it crash constantly. I'm already running into the same problem! I didn't expect it to happen quite so quickly, LOL.