DAZ Studio crashes on render!

Here's my problem, DAZ Studio (4.12) seems to be no longer capable of rendering.
I am using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4, which has worked fine up till a few weeks ago.
Now, however, try to render, or on this last occasion, the NVIDIA preview as I was using an HDRI environment, and Studio encounters a fatal error.
I was looking forward to trying out the new face transfer and would rather not go back to a previous version.
I don't particularly wish to go back to using Poser exclusively either.
Is there any way that you can help me with this?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Studio 4.12 has a minimum Nvidia driver requirement. You may need to load a newer version if the driver than you have. It is also possible that you had a usable driver but Windows 10 overwrote it with the Microsoft version.

• Wow! Well, that's a kick in the teeth for anyone who used the beta version of this program .

I know it's a free app, but still...

So I guess it's back to Poser, then.

I'm going to miss you guys.

• Wow! Well, that's a kick in the teeth for anyone who used the beta version of this program .

I know it's a free app, but still...

So I guess it's back to Poser, then.

I'm going to miss you guys.

What does this have to do with the betas? The last beta had te same requirement - 430.86 or later. Can you not update the nVidia driver for the Surface?

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    fastbike1 said:

Studio 4.12 has a minimum Nvidia driver requirement. You may need to load a newer version if the driver than you have. It is also possible that you had a usable driver but Windows 10 overwrote it with the Microsoft version.

Surface Pro 4s don't have discrete graphics cards - they're good for CPU rendering only.

Here's my problem, DAZ Studio (4.12) seems to be no longer capable of rendering.
    I am using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4, which has worked fine up till a few weeks ago.
    Now, however, try to render, or on this last occasion, the NVIDIA preview as I was using an HDRI environment, and Studio encounters a fatal error.
    I was looking forward to trying out the new face transfer and would rather not go back to a previous version.
    I don't particularly wish to go back to using Poser exclusively either.
    Is there any way that you can help me with this?

If suggest checking the Daz Studio log file for hints of what went wrong/when. Also, you should make sure that your Surface's firmware is up to date. My Surface Book 2 was having occasional major problems with rendering on the latest version of Windows up until the firmware update released just last week.

• What does this have to do with the betas? The last beta had te same requirement - 430.86 or later. Can you not update the nVidia driver for the Surface?

And yet it worked on my Surface. That's the only reason I mentioned it. The Surface Pro 4 has an Intel HD Graphics 520 card. So, I suppose it shouldn't have worked with the 4.12 Beta.

I can install the firmware and update my drivers, but I can't change the card.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

yeah worked for me on 4.11 beta too

seems they beta test you on both angry

• I'm having the same issues, 4.12 crashes when i try to render anything. i updated my nvidia driver but i still get the crash. i invested a huge amount of money in content which i can't use. because 4.12 crashes and refuses to respond. this is getting very tiresome. 4.12 is proving to be unusable. the least you can do is make a copy of 4.11 available to people having issues. i haven't been able to render a thing since the rollout of 4.12. 79 pages of purchased content is totally useless. so when are you going to fix the mess you made? at the very least make 4.11 available again. you owe that to the people who have invested a huge chunk of change and now can't use the product. daz studio may be free but the content isn't!

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited October 2019
    The Surface Pro 4 has an Intel HD Graphics 520 card.

In this case iray on 4.11 uses optix prime that reverses to cpu. While iray on 4.12 should use the new embree cpu engine that's much faster than prime on cpu. So may be it's embree that has issues. The nvidia drivers are not needed and I guess they can't be installed anyway if you don't have a nvidia card.

You may try updating the drivers for the cpu and the chip set. I don't know if embree uses opencl, in this case an update to the cpu opencl drivers may be useful as well.

You may also check the swap file to be sure it fits the ram needed by daz studio.

Post edited by Padone on
  • What does this have to do with the betas? The last beta had te same requirement - 430.86 or later. Can you not update the nVidia driver for the Surface?

And yet it worked on my Surface. That's the only reason I mentioned it. The Surface Pro 4 has an Intel HD Graphics 520 card. So, I suppose it shouldn't have worked with the 4.12 Beta.

I can install the firmware and update my drivers, but I can't change the card.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476

If there's not an nvidia card iray will work with the cpu, either using optix prime or embree. In this case the nvidia driver is not required.

• Thanks, Padone (and everyone else). Glad I stuck around.

I actually still have the exe for version 4.11, so, if I need to I can use tag version JUST for rendering .

Thanks again , guys.

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341

RESOLVED {please read on}.  Well, after all of that hoopla, here's an update, whcih I cannot understand why no one in support could figure this out. I am not a very techinical person, but here goes.  My SYSTEM consists  of Windows 10 64-bit with all the latest updates and 16Gb memory, 64-bit version of Daz Studio 4.12.1, and nVidia GTX-1660 6gb video card with latest driver (very latest, as I always update). Almost any size Iray render that included more than a simple character and clothing crashes my computer after I begin to render, regardles of the output size. Here is what I JUST discovered that seems to have solved my problem:

In Render Setings, Advanced tab, DISABLE CPU (uncheck) and only use (check) the CUDA Drivers in both the Photoreal Mode and Interactive Mode sections.

nVidia-Rendering.png
    469 x 769 - 21K
  • 16GB probably isn't enough memory to hold the scene, prepare the data for the GPU, and do its own rendering.

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341

16GB probably isn't enough memory to hold the scene, prepare the data for the GPU, and do its own rendering.

If you are referring to the CPU option, that would be a flaw in DS. The problematic renders were as simple as a scene containing the G8F figure posed with hair and clothing and no additional environment, props or lighting. I cannot imagine how so little basic content could be overtasking 16gb RAM.

However, like I stated, disabling the CPU option solved ALL of my rendering problems. Not sure why the GPU and CPU options won't play friendly together, but having both enabled was causing problems that would crash my PC and begin a reboot which was so frustrating.

• madmacmadmac Posts: 10

Richard Haseltine said:

16GB probably isn't enough memory to hold the scene, prepare the data for the GPU, and do its own rendering.

Agree with Richard here, i too have 16GB of memory. My rendering crashes when i have a scene and too many characters . my particular scene consists of a room (with stuff) and two characters. That renders fine. as soon as i introduce a 3rd character then DAZ crashes. i looked at logs and although complex to read for me i did see memory mentioned. The scene loads and uses ~13Gb of ram, so only 3Gb remains for rendering (+6Gb of 1660Ti ram). Perhaps DAZ developers need to look at better utilising memory if possible? 

Disabling the GPU and render by CPU only worked, but the other way around did not work for me, kept crashing. 

i believe when you disabled CPU in your instance then the requirement for Memory decreased somewhat because of things... but if you added more items to the screen then did it start crashing again? if so then defo points to memory. I'm going to upgrade to 32Gb and fingers crossed.