Small scene crashes the GPU rendering (find defective element)

Hello!

I have problem with renderin as it drops GPU and uses CPU. Actually nothing new and first thing was to disable OptiX.

But nothing works. And scene contains only one character and a few props.

Iray Memory Assistant shows VRAM usage only 1.6 Gb, but when rendering starts it takes 24 Gb of RAM!

I suppose that something can be wrong in the scene itself and my question if there is a way to find what causes this issue but removing props one-by-one?

Thank you.

Comments

• more than likely the issue is some item has a very high subD level set. I'd start with the character and then start going through every other object.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited October 2019

I agree that an over-high SubD level is the likely issue (don't forget that surfae settings can push the value above the monimum set in the Parameters pane). If you check the log (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log) it may tell you which object or surface is the issue, if that is it.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815

Optix unticking is broken in 4,12  the log file will show it cuts in the next frame 

I submitted a bug report for what it's worth 

nobody will care except people rendering animated stuff which is 1% of users so not expecting much just wish they would do what other companies do with software and leave the previous version up to reinstall.

• Optix unticking is broken in 4,12  the log file will show it cuts in the next frame 

As far as I am aware OptiX prime is always used for pre-RTX cards.

nobody will care except people rendering animated stuff which is 1% of users so not expecting much just wish they would do what other companies do with software and leave the previous version up to reinstall.

If no one cares about animators why is the Timeline being worked on in the 4.12.x.x cycle?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    Iray Memory Assistant is not accurate. There are many things that it does not take into account. Don't use it to determine whether your scene will fit in GPU.

Optix unticking is broken in 4,12  the log file will show it cuts in the next frame 

If no one cares about animators why is the Timeline being worked on in the 4.12.x.x cycle?

You could untick it before and it actually is unticked

Richard, render a scene that fits on your card

I know you have much less memory than I do but a figure with clothes should fit

then try rendering more than one frame, try a tweened pose or aniblock and you will see what happens 

I can avoid it if I set the load to about 2GB below my limit that is 4500MB on my card in GPU-Z including the monitor usage if I go to 5 of my 6 available Gigabytes it will only fit the first frame and actually visually never goes over but since GPU-Z actually disappears and goes blank before switching to CPU it likely does.

• Optix unticking is broken in 4,12  the log file will show it cuts in the next frame 

You could untick it before and it actually is unticked

I meant the version of Iray in DS 4.12.x.x, that actually supports RTX featues.

I know it increases memory use in those older cards. I'm not sure (== have no clue) why it seems to come and go with animations, but it is behaviour that a lot of people have reported

• mashvimmashvim Posts: 16

more than likely the issue is some item has a very high subD level set. I'd start with the character and then start going through every other object.

Thanks, I forgot about it, seems like it was the reason.