Creating custom DIM's & metadata for freebies & end-user files allowed ?

Loomy69Loomy69 Posts: 0

TLDR: I would very much like to manage work data, and 3rd party stuff through Install Manager, creating a tool that will package up the DIM archive and generate the metadata support files. I don't see it interfering with DS or DIM & fully understand the processes & end-user risk, I just want to be sure that i don't log into DIM online one day, and get spanked for sneaking them in !

Hi ! I come from a web dev/poser/3dsmax background and recently decided to get back into all things 3d. I am absolutely in love with Daz Studio. specifically MetaData & the (DIM) Download Install Manager. I wasted beyond countless hours in the past managing the afore-mentioned's runtime folders, pulling my hair out trying to locate a simple something. DIM & CMS product compatibility & associations was a stroke of genius, saving countless time, & keeping things neat n tidy.

I would like to know if we are permitted (at our own risk ofc) to create our own DIM archives or Installers (and/or) manage/list them in Daz Install Manager - strictly for personal use & convenience, ensuring there are no conflicts with current or future daz store purchases - product names or global ID, and so on.

With the lack of discussion on the matter out there, i would have to assume that the DIM-creation or conversion process is an internal one of the DAZ3D/Store team. I respect this fully, hence i rather make sure for peace of mind & to avoid any conflict.

Fingers crossed, this will really make my life easier, in general, but my specific intention is to revive an old sports training sim i developed which has well over 2TB worth of poser data, which is less than couple H GB's zipped - I plan to compartmentalize it, and load up bits and pieces into daz studio as and when needed, like checking out a library book, and banishing it back to zip when not in use.

Separate to that, i would like to make an external app, or dig into the DS SDK in an attempt to investigate possible solutions for fast-tracking if not semi automating metadata creation. It becomes really fun once you get the hang of it, but sadly it is overly time consuming & killing any potential productivity.

Either way, thank you to the Team for bringing us such a fantastic product that is vastly overpowered for it's current pricetag :) and special shoutout to creator of the darkside theme !

Post edited by Loomy69 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited January 2014

Updated: I've checked with DAZ and this isn't something we can help with or support I'm afraid - theer are too many ways things could slip in the implementation, with no way for us to verify that packages would work and not cause issues

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on