Moving and Sharing DAZ Files...

I just purchased 1) a computer with a faster graphics card and 2) a big external hard drive.

I need to migrate the My Daz files from the slower computer to the faster one and I want to get the files off the internal drive (it's eating up space needed by the operating system) onto the external drive.

Can this be done simply by copying the files from the older computer  to the new external drive and then attaching the big drive to the faster computer, or will I have to download and re-install all my assets (it's a LOT of files)?

I don't know whether the install process (for assets) is putting pointers or hidden files or tokens somewhere where they can't be found if they are moved (I assume this would be true for the authorization file for Daz Connect items).

Has anyone gone through this process who might have suggestions, warnings, etc.?

Comments

• You have to tell Daz where to find the files so beyond that it is as simple of copying all the assets onto the external drive as long as you keep the correct directory structure.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited October 2019

The actual programs and occasional item [plugins maybe for example] need to be properly installed via the .exe files to the computer.

Keeping things to the same file structure, yes [most] content can be moved over to the external drives. I would suggest doing that in stages because "too" much at once just boggles the counters.

Once the main folders are in place, then in D/S "point" it to look for the directories where you have put them.

"show hidden folders" to track down where some of the DAZ folders are [with concerns for DIM, etc.] These would need to go on the computer as well. AFAIK.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine, thanks for mentioning the plugins. Clearly those would have to be re-installed. I'll have to hunt through them and see which assets are plugins.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find things if you don't know the file names and the file names often have nothing to do with the title of an item (which is also hard to remember). Does the DAZ assets filter have an option to filter only plugins?