Shadows have seams in 3Delight.

I've run into an odd problem lately, most of my 3Delight Renders have these odd seams; if you look at the Side by Side below. The Render done in the Basic Engine has nice soft Natural looking Shadows, while the 3Delight Render clearly has the Seams; any guidance as to what I might adjust to get a more natural looking edge to the Shadows would be much appreicated. BB.

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I've run into an odd problem lately, most of my 3Delight Renders have these odd seams; if you look at the Side by Side below. The Render done in the Basic Engine has nice soft Natural looking Shadows, while the 3Delight Render clearly has the Seams; any guidance as to what I might adjust to get a more natural looking edge to the Shadows would be much appreicated. BB.

Are you sure you have loaded 3DL materials or are you possibly using IRay presets? How are you lighting your scene?

• Are you sure you have loaded 3DL materials or are you possibly using IRay presets? How are you lighting your scene?

The Mats are Base mats, its a very old V4 Charactor I've used for some time; the lighting for this scene was default lights in basic 3Point lighting array. Which has previously no problem for the 3DL engine, I used 2 Lights together to create a central fill with a very wide spread angle. Nothing special about the set really; but thats whats confusing. I've done a good many scenes like this over the years; not sure why these seams have lately become an issue.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2019

Are you sure you have loaded 3DL materials or are you possibly using IRay presets? How are you lighting your scene?

The Mats are Base mats, its a very old V4 Charactor I've used for some time; the lighting for this scene was default lights in basic 3Point lighting array. Which has previously no problem for the 3DL engine, I used 2 Lights together to create a central fill with a very wide spread angle. Nothing special about the set really; but thats whats confusing. I've done a good many scenes like this over the years; not sure why these seams have lately become an issue.

Just to be clear...is the one on the left an OpenGL render or what do you mean by basic engine? In the 3DL render on the right, are the only lights in the scene 3 DS standard spotlights? What is the shadow softness? Are you using shadow mapping or raytraced shadows? Is the skin a poser mat converted to the DS default shader, or something else? Did you upgrade DS or anything else recently? Need more info to be able to help:)

One more thing...did you change your rendersettings by mistake, or load a scene that altered something in there, like shading rate?

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 Posts: 300
    edited October 2019

The one on the left is the Basic Open GL vs the Intermediate. The lights on the Scene are Fill Distant Lt, Key and Kicker.

Not 100% sure about the Shader, the Character is a composite of two Poser figures from Rendo, but if there is a conversion; its automatic. As I said above I've used the figure for quite some time; only recently have I had these seams showing up. I expect it may be some setting I have inadvertaintly changed in the lights/shadow settings.

Shadow Softness, Fill 0%, Key, (Left) 76% Kicker 79% Raytraced, but only about 3 Ray Depth. I did find removing the Kicker seems to remove the Seam, so I'll just have to play with the settings for that light; or maybe remove it entirely from that set. See the pic below where I think the shadows are much more natrual looking.

"or load a scene that altered something in there, like shading rate?" Thats possible I've been tinkering with a fair number of new scenes from Rendo.

Anyhow Sven, TYVM for the time and Effort; its given me a lot to think about and experiment with, which is what I was hoping for, Im pretty good using DAZ as a compositional tool; some of the more technical aspects not so much.

Claudia_Seams.png
    460 x 462 - 190K
    Post edited by Blackbirdx61 on