DAZ and Poser 'Car Ranger' won't instal in Poser6 ?

Just keenly purchased the lovely looking Range Rover 'Car Ranger' item from Daz, here and, using Stuffit as I do for all my downloads/instals, found the item hasn't turned up in my Poser 6 - when 'Poser' was/is clearly advertised on the product. I get this on about one in fifty or so purchased products, and someone once suggested a lack of programming for the item not in-line with being Poser friendly as the liekly cause! Is that possible? As this might have been a case of a waste of money - does anyone also know where I can get hold of a Range Rover that Poser 6 will be happy with, and where priogramming effort has been sufficently maintained?   

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2019

I used to unzip prducts into a temp folder and then copy paste the contents of the  runtime into my chosen Poser runtime (I have quite a few)   When you unzip it into the temp folder you will possibly find stuff that you don't need  which is needed for those using Daz Studio.    There are actually 2 different versions that you can download,  
    Car Ranger DS 149.67 MB
    Car Ranger Ps 146.57 MB

You need the PS one.  and when you unzip it you will find a folder called content and inside of that you will find  a runtime folder and then in the Runtime foer you will find the files that you need to copy/paste into your own runtime  geometries, Libraries and textures.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited October 2019
    Chohole said:

I used to unzip prducts into a temp folder and then copy paste the contents of the  runtime into my chosen Poser runtime (I have quite a few)   When you unzip it into the temp folder you will possibly find stuff that you don't need  which is needed for those using Daz Studio.    There are actually 2 different versions that you can download,  
    Car Ranger DS 149.67 MB
    Car Ranger Ps 146.57 MB

You need the PS one.  and when you unzip it you will find a folder called content and inside of that you will find  a runtime folder and then in the Runtime foer you will find the files that you need to copy/paste into your own runtime  geometries, Libraries and textures.

Thanks for this headsup Chohole... I am a bit of a loser when it comes to tinkering with these files - many apologies. I did try setting up external libraries many years ago, thanks to another guy on these forums, but the copy/pasting bit always left me scratching at nits. Tis my own fault, I guess. Totally self taught - but clearly not to a workable level. I guess I got lazy way back and have always used unzipping tools or the actual unzipping/installing option inside Poser itself to get by... And I'd say 49 out of 50 items purchased work out just fine in that simple easy method. I found those files at the content level inside the runtimes, but they don't look like files of a usual Poser installation. But many thanks for trying to help! I guess I'll have to go search for another Range Rover for Poser 6...  

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I sorted out the quote for you

You should be able to get this woprking in Poser 6.  I can't double check it for you as I couldn't get Poser 6 to work any more when II got this computer, so now use Poser 8

• Chohole...

Lo and behold I've managed to get the lovely Car Ranger added to my ageing Poser 6. In the end I tried once again installing via the Poser Content Zip archive thingy on the far right top options, and it worked. Odd, as it did not work previously. All I can say is that following playing around looking through all the files you directed me to initially from 'content' as you mentioned, triggered something?!? So I am happy bunny.

Sorry if I got the quote thing wrong - thanks for sorting this. You see: I usually wally things up in CGI - but I manage through in the end.

Oddly you mentioning Poser 8, I purchased PP2014 a few years ago, but it was so different from P6 that I never really got into the swing of it, and so uninstalled it. Also more recently I installed DAZ 3D, as the purchase options looked amazing... But this was confusing to me, also, even though my higher spec PC should have handled this with ease. I think installing ALL the content slowed things up, and I can't seem to add anything to it, or even get much of the free content to appear in the working window, which in itself is baffling to me.

Thanks once again for your kindly help!

Tony D 

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Yes, there are a lot of changes from Poser 6 to PP2014, 2014 is well worth getting used to. If you have a quad-core or better computer 2014 flies on renders. My memory is that 6 was limited to dual core support for rendering (though I only had a dual-core computer back then). The upgrades to Firefly between 6 and 2014 are just amazing. I really enjoyed it. I would really reccomend trying again if want to stick to Poser. 2014 was my favorite version of Poser.

It took me two serious attempts to move from Poser to Studio before I got the hang of Studio. There are a lot of Poser tricks that you have to unlearn to really get good at Studio, though the core mechanics are the same. Studio took me a month before I felt like I had any clue about how to get things done. Not to suprising since I'd used Poser since 2005.