Help Resetting the Pivot Point

FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,888
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hey All!

Can someone help teach me how to reset the pivot point for a primitive (or model, or what have you) in Hex? I've been meaning to learn how to do this, but always put it off. And now that I need to know how to do it, all of the link in the documentation center on how to do it are broken.

If someone could take pity on me and show me what I'm supposed to do, I would be very appreciative and will speak highly of you in all future occasions. Lol.

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just so happens I saw this a couple days ago on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSNSIwZ77Vc

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,888
    edited December 1969

Thanks romancefantasy, for posting this.

I also found some tutorials on geekatplay that had a really cool tip on using pivot points in objects that don't have a point that you can select (which is what I needed for my current project.)

I'll share it here so that others can, hopefully, find it useful.

The link for the tutorial is this: Set Pivot Point on Object without a Selectable Point

One thing I'd change ('cause I did) was to use a sphere primitive instead of a cylinder (as was mentioned in the tutorial.) I lowered the number of facets for the sphere, then deleted all the faces that I didn't need and then flattened the remaining faces to come up with the same shape in the tutorial.

This works a treat when you're working with a cylinder that has extrusions and you want the object to pivot around the center of the remainder of the cylinder (like a hand, sweeping around the face of a clock, or the needle of a dial.)

• edited December 1969

Here is another link on that subject. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSb5vh6PE8

• ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is there any way to align the pivot to the normal of a face so you can scale and move in a certain direction ?

• edited December 1969

you may try changing your selection type to selection and not world selection.
    I think you may be looking for something like 3ds max has constraint setting. Hexagon does not have anything like that I have found.
    I submitted a feature request for a constrain to feature a while back.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Look into switching to a custom working plane for that face.

• ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

you may try changing your selection type to selection and not world selection.
    I think you may be looking for something like 3ds max has constraint setting. Hexagon does not have anything like that I have found.
    I submitted a feature request for a constrain to feature a while back.

Thanks

I'm more looking to set my pivot to a certain angle and keep it there through a lot of moving and scale operations. I think the work plane is probably more what I'm after.

Look into switching to a custom working plane for that face.

Will do
    Post edited by ausair on
  • TheMightyThorTheMightyThor Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

did anyone get an answer to this? i am also stuck with this dilemma. i have a set of helicopter rotors that are angled 10 degrees forward. Setting the Center point in Hexagon does no good since the pivot point it is working with is not aligned to the model. i am a hexagon N00b but have more experience in Daz Studio. help please? also once the pivot points are set on OBJ files, will hexagon maintain those points when exporting the item out as an OBJ file? thanks in advance