Sell 3D stock through Daz?

wburton72wburton72 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want to start making some money with my modeling skills so I did some research on websites that allow you to sell 3D stock and found that Daz is an option. How do I sign up and start selling models? Is there any specific modeling tool that I should use?

Comments

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095
    edited December 1969

You could check out this section in the documentation:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/start

You can pick and choose your info depending on your skill level.

• wburton72wburton72 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Am I only limited to figures/ clothing?

• The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

wburton72 said:
    Am I only limited to figures/ clothing?

No you're not limited. I make environment sets

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558
    edited December 1969

Got any examples of your work? This community places a big emphasis on freeware so maybe a taste of your work as a goodwill gesture towards your potential future customers.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited January 2014

You'll need to be willing and able to at least set them up as .pp2 or .duf, or ideally both if you want to sell to the maximum of customers (assuming it's static or environmentals that you're primarily interested in). You'll also need to be able to do good enough renders in DS, Poser, or both to market them to DAZ customers.

Promo renders are the single and sole criterion on which DAZ accepts or rejects a new merchant submission, because they're not even going to look at your meshes for testing until they've decided your renders are good enough.

Here's a deviantart journal post I wrote on this, as a DAZ vendor (I've been here for a couple of years now, so not a newbie but not one of the lifers yet):

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Making-A-Living-at-DAZ3D-407828896

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

Good article SickleYield. I'd love to do this full time. Nice to know it can be done.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321
    edited December 1969

There are publishing links at the bottom of the pages here. It'll give you contacts and specifics on submissions.

http://www.daz3d.com/community/community-publishing

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/publishing/start

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

You'll need to be willing and able to at least set them up as .pp2 or .duf, or ideally both if you want to sell to the maximum of customers (assuming it's static or environmentals that you're primarily interested in). You'll also need to be able to do good enough renders in DS, Poser, or both to market them to DAZ customers.

Promo renders are the single and sole criterion on which DAZ accepts or rejects a new merchant submission, because they're not even going to look at your meshes for testing until they've decided your renders are good enough.

Here's a deviantart journal post I wrote on this, as a DAZ vendor (I've been here for a couple of years now, so not a newbie but not one of the lifers yet):

That's a pretty substantial list and good job putting it together!

You may want to add a line or two about dealing with customers as I've heard horror stories over the years of how bad, rude and entitled some idiots are. Of course, that's common in retail from what I hear, too. I've lead a sheltered life in radio all these years and get a crank listener once in a while, but not enough to ruin a day.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

That's a pretty substantial list and good job putting it together!

You may want to add a line or two about dealing with customers as I've heard horror stories over the years of how bad, rude and entitled some idiots are. Of course, that's common in retail from what I hear, too. I've lead a sheltered life in radio all these years and get a crank listener once in a while, but not enough to ruin a day.

At DAZ a PA doesn’t get the brunt of those people because of the Support system. You do get them at sites that don’t have that, but here most of the time they go through Support instead.

It’s just about 1% of customers that are a pain in the bum. The other 99% will go through Support, will ask reasonable questions on the forum, and will not get offended when you ask them to double-check a file path. DAZ customers are for the most part a mature crowd, some of them using our products for professional work.

I love hearing from these people because they're the ones who will start a PM with "I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong..." and then I know I'm dealing with a grownup. It's the ones that start with a reference to my gender ("Hey girl") that are going to have me facepalming usually.

I didn’t put in anything about this because even with having multiple stores as I do, it’s nothing at all compared to working in retail. Compared to when I was a barista my life is hassle-free. :D

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Glad to hear it's better here!