new CAFE article: CARRARA / MARVELOUS DESIGNER WALKTHROUGH by booksbydavid

wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hope everyone had great holidays! I've been swamped with work the past few weeks but I'm finally getting back to Carrara and Cafe...

booksbydavid has contributed a new article: A CARRARA/MARVELOUS DESIGNER WALKTHROUGH
http://carraracafe.com/carrara-marvelous-designer-walkthrough/
(scroll to the bottom if you want to download the PDF)

Marvelous Designer is now at version 3 and is an advanced dynamic clothing companion for Carrara! I've been bugging David for this for a while and he was generous enough to share his knowledge with an illustrated walkthrough. I'd downloaded MD (free demo) a while back and (surprisingly) was able to make a dress quickly on the default mannequin - ok, it was a pretty simple pattern, but the draping sold it. The way you just tug the clothing around in realtime until it hangs where you want is UH-mazing, but I'm always shy about buying new software if I am not sure how easily it will work with Carrara. David demystifies the process of exporting a morphed figure from Carrara as OBJ, importing it into MD, and then exporting your custom draped clothing (posed on your figure) back into Carrara to render. It looks pretty easy so I don't have any more excuses.... CUSTOM CLOTHES HERE I COME!

I also put up a new poll for this month, asking what you want to learn most in Carrara. Again you can pick any 3. (If you have some suggestions that I didn't use, please let me know and I'll add them...) I'm hoping these kind of polls will help us get more tutorials and articles about what we need most, so please vote!

Also, if you have a tutorial, or an idea for an article that would be interesting to Carrara users, or you know of a made-in-Carrara project that we haven't covered, Please get in touch! Cafe is getting new members, and we are growing and showcasing "out of the DAZ 3D box" examples of Carrara in use! Jump in, it's a community effort!

There's more in the works for this month too! Thanks everybody!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Awesome!
    I wonder if we could try this sort of thing with soft body physics.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Or...you can use LightWave! :snake:

(hey, that didn't take a couple of nights to think of after all!)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Or...you can use LightWave! :snake:

(hey, that didn't take a couple of nights to think of after all!)He shoots... He Scores!
    I'll be expecting to see your full report on dynamic clothing in the morning. ;)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

He shoots... He Scores!
    I'll be expecting to see your full report on dynamic clothing in the morning. ;)

Uhm...how about it, "it just works in LightWave!"

Alright! Alright! I confess! I haven't done any soft-body dynamics in LightWave. Now, before you twist those thumb-screws one more turn, go watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwoPTl5ykiY

edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure that the soft body bullet in Carrara can do that one too. What many Poser/DS/Carrara users want is dynamic clothing soft body physics to work properly in Carrara. Phil W gets close, and I think there are some folks here, bigh perhaps(?), that imports DS dynamic cloth int Carrara via duf. But we want our soft body bullet to actually work nicely for dyno clothes! :)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

For very simple clothing, that can go, but if the vertexes are worked out too much, simulation crashe or clothing disappears quite simply.
    If Bigh arrives there with a .duf, it will be a sufficient reason to interest me in Studio!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

For very simple clothing, that can go, but if the vertexes are worked out too much, simulation crashe or clothing disappears quite simply.
    If Bigh arrives there with a .duf, it will be a sufficient reason to interest me in Studio!

start your engine then - DUF will work

edited December 1969

Ouf! I forgot that C8 does not import the .duf…:down:

edited December 1969

bigh said:

start your engine then - DUF will work

here a link -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SabzGVsSRjc

edited December 1969

you can use DressShop in DS - and bring it over to Carrara 8.5

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25577/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

But it is not dynamic clothing

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    bigh said:

you can do animation with it just like you can with Marvelous Designer .

edited December 1969

It is what I seek… (I don't have C8.5)
    I here ask the same question that about CarraraCafe, are there a difference between the plugins of Fenric and that of DCG, or then, both should be bought to import a sequence of objects in Carrara (with dynamic clothes) ?

• PGrePGre Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Does Fenrics .obj plugin import as well as export? I bought the DGC importer, but every .obj in the sequence exported from MD3 shows up as the last .obj in the sequence (or sometimes the first (I can't repeat that reliably)) in both Carrara and Blender. So I think there is either a problem in MD3 with the export or I am doing something wrong.

P

edited December 1969

Did you test it with Poser?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    chohole said:
    bigh said:

you can do animation with it just like you can with Marvelous Designer .What do you mean?
    For example, in David's tutorial, he mentions adding a posed obj into marvelous as a morph. Can you actually import an animation? Or can you use these creations in DS as dynamic clothing and then save as duf?

Thanks in advance, bigh.

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I don't see the reason to pay a monthly fee for software when there are programs you can own, like Hexagon to create clothes.

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    I don't see the reason to pay a monthly fee for software when there are programs you can own, like Hexagon to create clothes.

I can see one thing: A.N.I.M.A.T.I.O.N...

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

kashyyyk said:

LOL! These are such different animals!.

But YES I am also a bit turned off by the new trend in "renting" software for months at a time..., but I am trying to understand it: Adobe products, game engines, etc... I assume the reasons for this kind of licensing have something to do with the way the software is used in corporate projects. More and more graphic studios come together for one-time temporary projects. The business is formed around a single film or game - hiring management and freelancers as needed. once the project is over the "company" is over. Rather than depreciate software purchases, office space, render farms, etc over several projects, It's become legally (and financially) simpler to form the legal entity, create the work, and then disband. Who is expected to pay the licenses for creative software on a company that only lasts 3 months? As an "independent contractor" I have my own license of (for instance) Photoshop, but but if I worked for a company I shouldn't have to use MY license, (especially when there is a nearly 10-fold increase in price for an "enterprise" license)....

And to go a step farther if it's MY company, it makes no sense to make me buy an "enterprise" license for this kind of use and then insist that all licenses are for one full year simply because that's the length of time the Earth takes to orbit the sun.... completely arbitrary amount of time. Nothing to do with my project.

With Marvelous Designer you can still buy a "perpetual license" that works in the old way. That price is more than a year but less than two of the timed license... Hopefully software gets updated every 18 months or so, but there is certainly no guarantee. The parent company CLO is not like DAZ - selling to hobbiests. Their focus for Marvelous Designer is 3D production studios.... I have not bought it, but I am considering it... I don't know what is better. It took them longer to make 3 than they thought it would.

If I have to rely on Hexagon for clothes my figure will dress like this:

IMG_2070.JPG
    1200 x 1600 - 239K
    Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    chohole said:
    bigh said:

you can do animation with it just like you can with Marvelous Designer .What do you mean?
    For example, in David's tutorial, he mentions adding a posed obj into marvelous as a morph. Can you actually import an animation? Or can you use these creations in DS as dynamic clothing and then save as duf?

Thanks in advance, bigh.

I see what you want I guess - no it does not make dynamic clothing .
    In DressShop you model your cloth and then bring in your cloth to DS and put it on your model .
    Then you can animate your model .

He has said they are working on version 2 and that will be free to owners of version 1 .

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

pgre said:
    Does Fenrics .obj plugin import as well as export? I bought the DGC importer, but every .obj in the sequence exported from MD3 shows up as the last .obj in the sequence (or sometimes the first (I can't repeat that reliably)) in both Carrara and Blender. So I think there is either a problem in MD3 with the export or I am doing something wrong.

P

No. Mine only exports, DCG only imports.

edited December 1969

If I have to rely on Hexagon for clothes my figure will dress like this:

Cute pic!
    Yeah, in the Photoshop example, it has also proven easier for individuals to pay a lower monthly fee than to cough up a grand up front - and it always grants the latest release of the software. For me, however, I think it'll be easier to but it outright and only upgrade when needed.

Using DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro, clothing is so much easier to deal with once it's been modeled.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

In DressShop you model your cloth and then bring in your cloth to DS and put it on your model .

He has said they are working on version 2 and that will be free to owners of version 1 .

That's cool.
    Its still got to be a huge boon to not have to do any modeling at all. Just design the outfit you want.
    And in David's example, you can then shoot off renders without even making it conform, if you only need it that once. Pretty cool.

Does DS still require that dynamic clothes are made by Optitex (?) ?
    Do you still use DS dynamics in Carrara?

BTW, I like the work you've done making clothes - the samples in the thread you've linked to. Looks great. I've always been more of a conforming cloth fan, myself. But there are time when I could really benefit from a good (good) cloth sim.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

That's cool.
    Its still got to be a huge boon to not have to do any modeling at all. Just design the outfit you want.
    And in David's example, you can then shoot off renders without even making it conform, if you only need it that once. Pretty cool.

Does DS still require that dynamic clothes are made by Optitex (?) ?
    Do you still use DS dynamics in Carrara?

BTW, I like the work you've done making clothes - the samples in the thread you've linked to. Looks great. I've always been more of a conforming cloth fan, myself. But there are time when I could really benefit from a good (good) cloth sim.

1. yes only Optitex can make the dynamic cloth for DS .
    2. if I need to
    3. thank you - its fun to do