?? Comparing Dynamic Hair - PhilW, VYusur, TangoAlpha ??

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
edited September 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Not really intended to call out Phil, Tim, or Veronika, except to the extent that they might have the most experience comparing Carrara dynamic hair with the Daz Studio developments.  I am still working with Daz Studio 4.10, not 4.11 or 4.12.  Wondering at what point it becomes worth it to upgrade.  I have no qualms about using Carrara for some projects and Daz Studio for others.  (For me and my current equipment, it takes forever to do an Iray render)

ANYONE - if you have used the newer Daz Studio hair developments in 4.11 and 4.12, and the Carrara dynamic hair, how would you compare them?

- final outcome

- overall ease of use

- dynamics = draping

- dynamics = interact with forces (eg., wind)

- dynamics = interact with objects, etc. in an animation

- precision in styling

- difficulty in styling

- precision in shading

- diffculty in shading

- use in realistic renders

- use in non-realistic renders (comic lines, other NPR)

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• Well they are PAs so only ones who actually can compare the dynamics 

we can buy the hairs they make

Phil's hair I bought was ok but its one hair

if I want other hairs or animal furs, horses manes I must buy them if PAs make them

and thats my answer

we all can make and use our own Carrara Dynamic hairsheart

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited September 2019

Well they are PAs so only ones who actually can compare the dynamics 

Good issue to bring up.  I'm still confused about what we as users can and cannot do with Studio's hair systems compared to Carrara.  Supposedly, we users can create static strand-based hair, but not dforce dynamic hair.  Still not completely sure of the difference.  If that could be cleared up, that would be helpful.  

Note - I am getting close to a workflow using Philemo's plugin to use carrara's dynamic hair to create prop/figure hair for Studio.  If convenient, can be brought back to Carrara.  EDIT - workflow good enough for my personal standards, PhilW has used it for the much higher PA-level standards for a while.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801
    edited September 2019

I observe it this way

hobbyist in DS is nowhere near as good as hobbyist in Carrara when it comes to hair

the Pros in DS and Carrara are similar as the DS Pros have the extra tools

just my observance ... not meaning to bash anyone but Carrara hair does it betterer for the hobbyist   devil  wink  smiley

IMHO yes

Post edited by Stezza on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I think Carrara's dynamic hair and DS strand hair are pretty similar, but you cannot convert it to dforce. But you still can use it as is, and render it with Iray. You have to upgrade to the latest version to get many advantages compared to the previous ones. There are special strand hair shaders for Iray and 3dl in DS 4.12

Veronika and Stezza - thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I probably won't update to DS 4.12 until I improve my equipment.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I don't make hair products, so I haven't played about with either from that perspective (Phil's yer man there...). But from the user's perspective with a bought wig, they behave in a similar way. Both need a sim run in order to drape them, both interacte with clothing, props etc, can undergo forces such as wind etc.

I haven't tried, but I suspect they are not interchangeable DS <--> CA

Not sure if 4.12 has any hair changes, but it does improve instance handling, which is great for large scale scenes such as mine. And of course there are Iray renderer improvements.

CA --> DS, but not other way as far as I know.  But then again, I haven't tried DS to CA.  If DS hair can be subjected to dforce, then maybe a Daz SDK guru could objectfy it.  Then again, I might be confusing two different DS hairs.

• Diomede said:

CA --> DS, but not other way as far as I know.  But then again, I haven't tried DS to CA.  If DS hair can be subjected to dforce, then maybe a Daz SDK guru could objectfy it.  Then again, I might be confusing two different DS hairs.

The main issue is DAZ3D's decision to make it PA only

and the other two curve hairs are third party addons

while Garibaldi was made free we cannot reverse engineer it

otherwise Philemo probably could make a plugin to convert curves to Carrara hair

but

DAZ has pretty much made that impossible legally

• Well to a non PA

if Philemo were a PA he could actually submit his code to DAZ and since its their property they could choose to impliment it

but

they have made their stance on Carrara pretty clear

they could easily fix Genesis 3 & 8 compatibility and refuse to