No Bundle for the new Legacy shapes for G2F & M?

CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay, I actually mean no Uber Bundle with everything?

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Well... If you add everything in to your cart, you get a 50% discount, which is sort of a 'make-your-own-bundle'.

-- Morgan

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

CypherFox is exactly right. We set it up this way so that people can buy any combination of the bundles they want. When trying to set up bundles, we didn't want to have so many that it got confusing, ie. All Males, All Females, All Generation 4, All Generation 5, etc. This way, if all you want is the Generation 5 Males and the Generation 4 Females, you don't have to buy the ones you don't want.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited December 1969

So we should take it as given that we are not going to get autofit clones for these figures, OR specialized UVs. DAZ is not prepared to make them, so we will have to be content with only the shapes.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    So we should take it as given that we are not going to get autofit clones for these figures, OR specialized UVs. DAZ is not prepared to make them, so we will have to be content with only the shapes.

I would not say that at all. As for Autofit, there are already clones available for V4 and M4, which would effectively include Aiko 4 and the rest of the Generation 4 figures, and each of those clones comes with UVs as well. As for D5, A5 and the rest, Genesis clothes already fit Genesis 2 via Autofit. For the UVs, I have been working on those as well. Right now, I am working on David 5. Whether or not DAZ accepts it remains to be seen. If it works out, I will begin work on the other figures UVs, but there has to be enough interest from the community to make the time consuming process worth it. If I spend a week or two on each set and only 10 people want it (exaggerated of course), then it might not be a good idea.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited January 2014

JOdel said:

Isn't that what these are for? They add V4/M4 UVs to G2F/G2M, and I was always under the assumption that all Gen4 females shared the same UV and Gen4 males shared the same UV.

http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-for-genesis-2-male
    http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-skins-auto-converter-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-skins-auto-converter-for-genesis-2-male-s

(last 2 aren't required but make it easier)

/edit
    I think Genesis' default UVs were V4/M4's anyways, and G2F/G2M can use V5/M5's out of the box. Very few skins used the Basic Female/Male UVs.

Hitomi has her own UVs (as well as some beasties), which to my knowledge hasn't been ported over and can't using current methods.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

I think there would be alot of interest in Aiko (3) shapes and clone product for G2F.... at least the autofit for all her clothes, the shape, and maybe the UV but not sure that is possible. From what I see she is more popular than A4, G4, or what's her face S4.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    CypherFox is exactly right. We set it up this way so that people can buy any combination of the bundles they want. When trying to set up bundles, we didn't want to have so many that it got confusing, ie. All Males, All Females, All Generation 4, All Generation 5, etc. This way, if all you want is the Generation 5 Males and the Generation 4 Females, you don't have to buy the ones you don't want.

This is great news Slosh, regarding UV's! I am a bit confused though as to the difference between this and the M4/V4 shapes you've already released for G2, with the exception of the extra gen 4 shapes you get in the bundle...

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:

I would not say that at all. As for Autofit, there are already clones available for V4 and M4, which would effectively include Aiko 4 and the rest of the Generation 4 figures, and each of those clones comes with UVs as well. As for D5, A5 and the rest, Genesis clothes already fit Genesis 2 via Autofit. For the UVs, I have been working on those as well. Right now, I am working on David 5. Whether or not DAZ accepts it remains to be seen. If it works out, I will begin work on the other figures UVs, but there has to be enough interest from the community to make the time consuming process worth it. If I spend a week or two on each set and only 10 people want it (exaggerated of course), then it might not be a good idea.

I really think you should lobby hard to get the D5 UV accepted by Daz, ok he doesn't have much of a back catalogue, but, the textures that were made for him were brilliant and deserve to be used on G2.

I think Daz's decision to use figure specific UV's could come back to bite them, especially if they don't give Gia or Olympia time to grow before bringing something else out.

CHEERS!

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Having seen the mesh for Aiko 3, I don't envy anyone trying to remake the UV maps for that figure. Besides which, there's technical considerations there as well. The Generation 3 figures used a very different material setup, making it impossible to reuse them for Gen4 or higher figures. The Genesis 2 figures were designed to be backwards compatible and use a material zone setup similar to Gen4 under 'Legacy surfaces'.

It should be noted that Generation 4 didn't have backwards compatibility at all, yet proved the most popular. Just food for thought.

There *is* however a way to get Generation 3 textures onto Generation 4 and higher figures, but to do so you'll need the Texture Converter. This is a program which reads in the texture and recreates it as if it was intended for a Gen4 figure such as Victoria 4. I bought my copy from the 3D Universe website before they retired their online store, but it's also available here on the Daz site along with its plugins. You will need the plugins for the figures you want to convert from and to.

edited December 1969

tigerste said:
    Slosh said:

This is great news Slosh, regarding UV's! I am a bit confused though as to the difference between this and the M4/V4 shapes you've already released for G2, with the exception of the extra gen 4 shapes you get in the bundle...

I decided to include V4 and M4 shapes in their respective Legacy sets because some people may only want the shapes and not care about the UVs and clothing for those figures. Granted, there might not be a huge amount of people who fit that description, but there will be a few. This way, yes you will end up with two copies of V4 or M4, depending on what you buy/have bought. I named the V4 and M4 in the Legacy sets a little differently so that they show up separate from MallenLane's V4 product and my own M4 product. In order to keep the collections complete, it was necessary to include them. I also included the Basic Female and Basic Male from Genesis in each set, but since they all write to the same data folder, only one copy of each will show in your Shaping Tab.

If you already have Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female(s) or Michael 4 for Genesis 2 Male(s), then the only thing you gain from these Legacy sets is the additional male or female shapes. I just couldn't see forcing people to buy either of the two above products in addition to the Legacy sets in order to get the full set.

edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I think there would be alot of interest in Aiko (3) shapes and clone product for G2F.... at least the autofit for all her clothes, the shape, and maybe the UV but not sure that is possible. From what I see she is more popular than A4, G4, or what's her face S4.

I agree with all you just said, MrPoser. Aiko 3 is very popular, still. I even know a particular PA who favors her over all other figures. I won't rule this out as an option. I enjoy making the clones and the UV work (yes, I'm a little crazy), so it could be something I look at down the line. The biggest problem, at least in my mind, and the reason I didn't tackle the Generation 3 characters, is that they each have their own UVs (as far as I know). David 3 shared Michael 3 textures, if I'm not mistaken, but the ladies all had their own. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, that would be too many UV sets to work on in a reasonable amount of time. I would either have to release them one at a time as I finished them, or wait a very long time until they were all ready to go.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Slosh said:

I really think you should lobby hard to get the D5 UV accepted by Daz, ok he doesn't have much of a back catalogue, but, the textures that were made for him were brilliant and deserve to be used on G2.

I think Daz's decision to use figure specific UV's could come back to bite them, especially if they don't give Gia or Olympia time to grow before bringing something else out.

CHEERS!

I just bought some new UV software that is making the process about 45% easier than when I did Michael 4 (% is arbitrary, but it's not a huge amount easier). Depending on how long D5 takes and how well the UVs come out, coupled with enough interest shown, I will do the others. I started a thread awhile back trying to see how much interest there was and the thread fizzled pretty quickly. This is part of the reason DAZ and I discussed about making the shapes by themselves and holding off on the UVs. They haven't said "no", but more of a "let's wait and see." So, if you guys want the UVs done, please campaign for it. I'm ready and willing to do the work.

edited December 1969

Having seen the mesh for Aiko 3, I don't envy anyone trying to remake the UV maps for that figure. Besides which, there's technical considerations there as well. The Generation 3 figures used a very different material setup, making it impossible to reuse them for Gen4 or higher figures. The Genesis 2 figures were designed to be backwards compatible and use a material zone setup similar to Gen4 under 'Legacy surfaces'.

It should be noted that Generation 4 didn't have backwards compatibility at all, yet proved the most popular. Just food for thought.

There *is* however a way to get Generation 3 textures onto Generation 4 and higher figures, but to do so you'll need the Texture Converter. This is a program which reads in the texture and recreates it as if it was intended for a Gen4 figure such as Victoria 4. I bought my copy from the 3D Universe website before they retired their online store, but it's also available here on the Daz site along with its plugins. You will need the plugins for the figures you want to convert from and to.

The Genesis 2 mesh can be split up to match the material zones in any of the other figures, but there may be a requirement for a "Aiko 3 to Genesis 2 Skins Autoconverter" (for example) that renames the material zones in the .pz2 file to match the names in Genesis 2. This is the same sort of thing that DraagonStorm did for each of the V4 and M4 for Genesis 2 products. I haven't actually opened a Generation 3 material file to see what information it includes, but it is something I will make sure I do now that you have pointed out the "different material setup".

edited January 2014

Slosh said:

I just bought some new UV software that is making the process about 45% easier than when I did Michael 4 (% is arbitrary, but it's not a huge amount easier). Depending on how long D5 takes and how well the UVs come out, coupled with enough interest shown, I will do the others. I started a thread awhile back trying to see how much interest there was and the thread fizzled pretty quickly. This is part of the reason DAZ and I discussed about making the shapes by themselves and holding off on the UVs. They haven't said "no", but more of a "let's wait and see." So, if you guys want the UVs done, please campaign for it. I'm ready and willing to do the work.

Thanks!

It's a sad state of affairs that if you by the D5 Pro Bundle you have pretty much bought everything ever made for him. Still, David has always played second fiddle to Michael, Jepe did some nice stuff for D3 but that was about it. It makes you wonder how well male equivalents of Gia and Olympia would fare, if they're even being developed.

Congratulations for making what you have made though and I hope to see more

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    JOdel said:

Isn't that what these are for? They add V4/M4 UVs to G2F/G2M, and I was always under the assumption that all Gen4 females shared the same UV and Gen4 males shared the same UV.

http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-for-genesis-2-male
    http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-skins-auto-converter-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-skins-auto-converter-for-genesis-2-male-s

(last 2 aren't required but make it easier)

/edit
    I think Genesis' default UVs were V4/M4's anyways, and G2F/G2M can use V5/M5's out of the box. Very few skins used the Basic Female/Male UVs.

Hitomi has her own UVs (as well as some beasties), which to my knowledge hasn't been ported over and can't using current methods.

For my own use, I have made similar sets for 3dUniverse Toons, smay's toons, and Hitomi. But, these characters are not owned by DAZ, so I don't have the permissions to make Genesis 2 versions for distribution. If smay or Mallenlane or 3dUniverse asked me to do Genesis 2 versions for their characters, I would. I also have Taiga and Satsuki, which are two of my favorites. Toon Amy, Kimberly, Konrad, Sadie, Sam, Jason, Jasmine, Jazlyn, Taiga, Satsuki, Chibi Boy and Girl, Mr. Hyde, Hitomi, Mavka (have I forgotten any of the major ones?).

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Slosh said:

Thanks!

It's a sad state of affairs that if you by the D5 Pro Bundle you have pretty much bought everything ever made for him. Still, David has always played second fiddle to Michael, Jepe did some nice stuff for D3 but that was about it. It makes you wonder how well male equivalents of Gia and Olympia would fare, if they're even being developed.

Congratulations for making what you have made though and I hope to see more

CHEERS!

One interesting side effect of breaking these Legacy sets into male and female for each generation is that I can see very quickly which figures are more popular. It would probably not surprise anyone which sets are going to be wanted more than others.

edited December 1969

Gen4 selling faster? :P

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Actually, both female sets are in a tie for first place, with Gen4 males in last place. This doesn't surprise me at all.

edited January 2014

I'm honestly debating on these while they're on sale (and with the buy 3+ get 50% off and the store sales). I don't actively use the G2 series at all, but I'm really loving some of the more amazonian type characters, but I already have quite a few of those for Gen4 as it is. My logic is if I'm only going to use my Gen4 stuff on G2, why not just stick with Gen4 to begin with.

edited January 2014

Slosh said:
    Vaskania said:

Actually, both female sets are in a tie for first place, with Gen4 males in last place. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Yeah, when it comes to 3D art, we do like the girls. Let's face it, you never get any jokes about naked Michael in a temple with a sword!

CHEERS!

edited January 2014

Rogerbee said:

Yeah, when it comes to 3D art, we do like the girls. Let's face it, you never get any jokes about naked Michael in a temple with a sword!

CHEERS!

At least he brings his own sword.

Yes, I went there. :P

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    The Genesis 2 mesh can be split up to match the material zones in any of the other figures, but there may be a requirement for a "Aiko 3 to Genesis 2 Skins Autoconverter" (for example) that renames the material zones in the .pz2 file to match the names in Genesis 2. This is the same sort of thing that DraagonStorm did for each of the V4 and M4 for Genesis 2 products. I haven't actually opened a Generation 3 material file to see what information it includes, but it is something I will make sure I do now that you have pointed out the "different material setup".
    Wouldn't 'splitting' the mesh involve not just renaming the zones but also redefining them? The main problem is that Aiko has different surface groups for arm and forearm, knee and legs and so on. The scalp surface only covers the very top and back of the head and its equivalent in Generation 4 covers the entire back of the head. The 'head' material is actually what would be considered the face material in Gen4 and includes the back of the head not covered by the scalp surface.

I'm not sure how you would design a preset for G2F which could change surface zones without rewriting the figure. If you have a technique though, I'd love to hear it!

edited December 1969

Now you mention the DraagonStorm products, were they officially updated? I can't remember if they were or not, there was that issue I found with the ears.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Wouldn't 'splitting' the mesh involve not just renaming the zones but also redefining them? The main problem is that Aiko has different surface groups for arm and forearm, knee and legs and so on. The scalp surface only covers the very top and back of the head and its equivalent in Generation 4 covers the entire back of the head. The 'head' material is actually what would be considered the face material in Gen4 and includes the back of the head not covered by the scalp surface.

I'm not sure how you would design a preset for G2F which could change surface zones without rewriting the figure. If you have a technique though, I'd love to hear it!

That's a toughy to wrap my head around without actually looking at a mat file, the current uvs, or a texture map. But I think I could work it out. I think. I wish you hadn't posted this yet, because now I will probably not be able to fall asleep until I look at it :) Thanks, HoF! But, it's kind of like how Genesis 2 has a separate Ear zone, where in Genesis and Gen4 it's part of the Head or Torso zone. They still reference the same torso map, but just have their own material zone and DraagonStorm was able to address that and make a script that assigned the same torso material to the Ear zone. I don't want to speculate just yet, since I am only going by my fuzzy brain, but I think it is possible. I'll get back to you on that :)

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Now you mention the DraagonStorm products, were they officially updated? I can't remember if they were or not, there was that issue I found with the ears.

CHEERS!

I'm pretty sure they have been officially updated. I know DraagonStorm told me she did make the fixes, but I can't say for sure if DAZ put them in your account yet. I think they did, though. I get a copy directly from DraagonStorm, so I don't see it in DIM or my Product Library, so I can't say for sure.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Yes, I went there. :PGood one Vaskania......Wiping my coffee off the monitor:)

edited January 2014

Slosh said:

I'm pretty sure they have been officially updated. I know DraagonStorm told me she did make the fixes, but I can't say for sure if DAZ put them in your account yet. I think they did, though. I get a copy directly from DraagonStorm, so I don't see it in DIM or my Product Library, so I can't say for sure.

They were, I checked the zips and the dates were recent.

CHEERS!

• 3dTox3dTox Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Yes, I went there. :P

unless he's not a pro bundle

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Slosh said:

That's a toughy to wrap my head around without actually looking at a mat file, the current uvs, or a texture map. But I think I could work it out. I think. I wish you hadn't posted this yet, because now I will probably not be able to fall asleep until I look at it :) Thanks, HoF! But, it's kind of like how Genesis 2 has a separate Ear zone, where in Genesis and Gen4 it's part of the Head or Torso zone. They still reference the same torso map, but just have their own material zone and DraagonStorm was able to address that and make a script that assigned the same torso material to the Ear zone. I don't want to speculate just yet, since I am only going by my fuzzy brain, but I think it is possible. I'll get back to you on that :)

The biggest issue, as I recall, would be the head where the material zone on Gen 4 and later overlaps parts of two separate maps on most G3 textures. I did think it might be possible using Shader Mixer, having a masking texture that would distinguish the two areas and an if/then or mix brick that would apply an offset to the ST values to bring a non-overlapping mapping into alignment with the potentially overlapping textures.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Slosh said:

CHEERS!

I hope so as well!!!