A quick question for the ladies or their significant others...

eclark1849eclark1849 Posts: 211
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What kind of purse, pocketbook or handbag do you use? Do women still use them a lot? And are they still an essential accessory for women?

Also, what do you usually keep in your purse, handbag or pocketbook? Keys, Lipstick, gum, tissue, change?

Now, why I'm asking... I'm trying to expand my horizon as far as what content I make. so I thought I'd take a stab at stuff like that.

I'm not married and don't have a girlfriend, so I might even go out and buy a purse just to see what comes with one. Or if I cheap out, I'll just get one of my nieces to loan me one as a model. :-)

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited January 2014

I hate purses, tbh. If I could still get away with a dual-fold or tri-fold wallet in my back pocket, I would, but being a mom/housewife/bill payer doesn't let me do that anymore (except on nights out w/o the kids- woo! lol). In mine I carry my wallet, phone, checkbook (I lose it somewhere in my apt if I don't lol), inhaler, keys, my playstation vita, and whatever else I need to carry that day.

I also prefer to go with a canvas shoulder-bag (or something like it) over a traditional purse. Just 1 or 2 big pockets and throw it all in there.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited January 2014

handbag has included spanner, Phillips head screwdriver, various lollies, USB dongles, my TV remote instead of phone by mistake

edit after seeing Vaskania, have inhaler and an entire pharmacy in there too!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

handbag has included spanner, Phillips head screwdriver, various lollies, USB dongles, my TV remote instead of phone by mistake

edit after seeing Vaskania, have inhaler and an entire pharmacy in there too!

LOL@ the tv remote. I've found mine in my fridge before. o_O

Guess I should add Zyrtec-D during allergy season or if I'll be up in the mountains/woods, also.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

At the moment, my purse holds wallet, keys, phone, two travel packs of band-aids (my daughter's in taekwondo), a bottle of advil, two pens, a notepad and loose change

I plan on getting this for myself once it gets back in stock:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/14b2/

At which point I'll be adding a couple of books, a journal, an occasional water bottle or two, sometimes my tablet, maybe a nerf gun on appropriate occasions (in my life, they happen more than you think) and maybe upgrading those travel packs of band-aids to an actual first aid kit. :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

When I was still working full time, I generally carried a tote bag because I needed my Portfolio/Datebook and other things for work, and needed something large enough to carry file folders. In the years since I retired, however, I've been using just a purse (usually one with a strap long enough so I can wear it on my shoulder), and I usually carry keys, wallet, tissues, glasses, sunglasses, pen and small notebook, and stylus. My cellphone is usually in a case clipped to the the strap for easy access. My checkbook stays at home because that's where I pay my bills.

Only other thing I might have in my purse is a book (or maybe my tablet), if I'm going somewhere that requires a long ride on a bus or the railroad.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,293
    edited December 1969

I tend to go for mid to small purses with more then one section and extra pockets to help me keep organized. I also like longer straps as I tend to drape it across my chest from right shoulder to left hip. I prefer the hip length so my hand can rest on it. Both the cross over and hand resting on it are strong deterrents to thieves and have been doing this since my early 20's, also means I don't have to keep shifting it on my shoulder to keep it up and when necessary, keep my hands free for anything.
    What I keep in it is my wallet (basically one of the card holders for all my cards and ID) and a change purse for all coin and bills. I also have my keys, mini bottle of hand sanitizer in with wallet and change purse, bus pass goes in a small pocket for easy reach. Bus schedule, any bills and other papers goes in the second section. I have one of those purses that has the flap going down the front and it has a pocket on it, so my cigarettes, lighter and loose change for phone or something goes in there. Lots of people keep their phone in their purse, but I keep mine in my coat pocket, so if I ever do lose my purse or have it stolen, I still have the phone for emergencies.

• eclark1849eclark1849 Posts: 211
    edited December 1969

I found the following chart while looking up styles of bags women carry. Which one are you?

whatdoesyourbagsay-1.jpg
    471 x 2000 - 276K
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,293
    edited December 1969

I'm the hands free version, however, I am not young and dorky, I'm a 53 year old gramma...lol

edited January 2014

That's just ways of carrying, not bag styles. I go with hands free. I don't know how young their definition is, but I'm 33.

I am a nerd, but I'm also not very feminine as far as women are concerned.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited December 1969

and mine is none of those ways
    my shoulders droop so I wear it postie style

edited December 1969

and mine is none of those ways
    my shoulders droop so I wear it postie style

What's postie style?
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Mine is over the shoulder but definitely does NOT hang way down past the hip like that diagram- that would drive me nuts. It nestles right by the waist, just slightly above.

At any given time- spare snacks such as fruit roll ups or wrapped candy, chewing gum, receipts from fast food places, receipts from shopping. You have to have trash in your purse if you're not a litterbug. Not that it stays there, but at sometime, you'll have to either stuff it in your pocket or put it in your purse. Likewise receipts from paying bills, unless you do it all online.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited January 2014

I have only been carrying a purse for the past few years. Went decades with loaded pockets instead. It works so long as you've *got* pockets -- and remember to transfer things.

However I've been carrying purses since about 2006. The ones I've got are from this craftsman outfit http://www.rocheleather.com/ . They're pricy but really well made -- and rather distinctive. I attended a convention in Cincinatti and my purse was recognized by someone who had one from the same people from a crafts show some years earlier.

It's a useful site because it gives both the dimensions and the capacity of the different styles. And most of the bags have adjustable straps which can be set to a number of different lengths. I cross-hang mine left shoulder to right hip, but there is enough play in the straps to adjust to one's own preference.

I'm not one of those people who seems to want to use a purse as a personal trailer, so mine are on the small side. Wallet, checkbook, calendar (month-at-a-glance booklet style) coin purse, keys, plus the incidentals like nail file, handkerchief, clapstick, pencil, and eraser. The purses that I have have card slots inside for things like bus pass and ID cards so I can get at them without needing to get my wallet out.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,475
    edited December 1969

This is my purse -- http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/giani-bernini-handbag-annabelle-signature-swagger-satchel?ID=438393&CategoryID=26846&kws=438393

What do I keep in it? My entire world. Plus, everything my son and co are too lazy to carry lol Wallet, keys, sunglasses, squirty (listerine) makeup (and other girly things) scrunchees, a change purse, my phone, my vape... et al. Sometimes I carry other superfluous crap when going certain places... like multiple chargers or my camera.

The key to a good purse, for me... separated pockets... it must cater to my OCD. If its one giant bottomless void, I will avoid it like the plague.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

These are really close to what I carry.....

p2.jpg
    305 x 304 - 48K
    p1.jpg
    411 x 534 - 173K
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

If I'm performing in drag then I carry my wallet, keys, cellphone and lipstick in a little silver disco bag. The rest of the time my tablet carrying bag is the closest I get to a purse.

edited December 1969

And since I can't find a photo of my purse, here's a picture of me in as Lola Internet as well as a version of me I made for a "virtual photo shoot" in Daz.

I wish making my boobs IRL was as easy and pain free as it is to just pump the boob slider in Daz.

I was really pleased with how well I was able to make Genesis look like me in drag. Some people actually though my virtual photo shoot pics were actually real pics of me and were amazed I was able to create convincing boobs in such an outfit without having any duct tape visable and were wondering if I had simply photoshopped the duct tape out.

Sigh.... when is Daz going to bring their morphing technology to real life. It would prevent so many drag queen duct tape related injuries.

Lola_Internet_Pirate_14.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 216K
    Lola_Internet_Pirate_1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 257K
    83566188311.jpg
    542 x 720 - 129K
    Lola_Internet_at_This_Aint_Hollywood.jpg
    1000 x 652 - 101K
    edited December 1969

I love those last 2. You represented yourself so well in DS. I was almost going to ask you how long it took you to make Pretty3D's outfit irl, until I re-read your post. o_O

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I love those last 2. You represented yourself so well in DS. I was almost going to ask you how long it took you to make Pretty3D's outfit irl, until I re-read your post. o_O

Yeah, I've always wished I had the mad sewing skills so I could make pretty pretty dresses for myself instead of looking through the Value Village for something that fits.

Making the Virtual Lola Internet was a fun experiment. I wanted it to actually look like it could have been me in drag so I had to take care not to stylize the body in an idealized form.

I have a very broad chest, huge lats and broad shoulders with a straight hip to waste proportions (but a nice round butt at least). So when I do an actual photo shop I have to use posture tricks to minimize my male features and accentuate my female features. Thankfully I worked as a fashion photographer when I was in college. Basically made money using the skills I was learning in photography class by offering them to build an inexpensive portfolio to the girls in the modelling class (which was conveniently the classroom over). So I learned a lot about posing to accentuate or diminish a feature.

That's what I did with the Genesis figure. I made the body look like my body, same proportions and everything. Basically I did it naked near a mirror. Work on the laptop, then run over the the mirror and strike a T-pose, then back to the laptop to tweak, then back to the mirror to double check. Then when I posed to the Genesis figure I used the camera angle and body pose tricks I learned in photography class to make the figure more feminized. This created a much more realistic portrayal of what I look like in drag than if I had just created a female body with my head on it.

The only bit of unrealistic anatomy would naturally be the boobs. To make boobs in drag I basically tape my pecs together to create cleavage then wear a bra and breast forms I make out of knee high nylons tied off with the elastics cut off and filled with the appropriate amount of flax seed. The knots actually make very convincing nipples if I'm wearing an outfit that's sheer. But I can't wear an outfit that has a fully open chest because I need something, however thin, that can hide the band of tape across my chest. It creates a really good boob though.

And now a picture of my boobs clothed and then TOTALLY NUDE (which are apparently very healthy if you spread my boobs over cereal for extra fibre).

398891_10150776610504669_657149668_11348173_1792357957_n.jpg
    720 x 540 - 71K
    p20120610-021754.jpg
    612 x 1024 - 206K
    edited December 1969

Well, keep it up because you're pretty damn convincing. It took me a couple videos to realize you weren't a weird chick with a Phantom of the Opera fetish. :P

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319
    edited December 1969

I am a combination of the 'Hands-Free' and the 'Thumb-to-'Pit' types. And I don't understand why it should be 'dorky' to be able to make use of your hands. Typical Fashion Magazine nonsense. :lol:

I always have a lot of stuff in my bag, such as keys, Kindle, phone, a small vanity bag, pens and a notebook, a purse, a comb, etc...

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405
    edited December 1969

I'm another thumb to pit bag or Hobo...thinking of getting wheels soon as I always carry, lippy,gloss,kohl,hairbrush,hand sanitizer,toothpicks,nailclippers, breath freshener spray, ipad, tissues,bandaids , superglue(in case I break a nail;) mobile, hayfever pills, headache pills, pen, notebook, wallet and a small roll up shopping bag, mints and the odd chocolate treat;)

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Well, keep it up because you're pretty damn convincing. It took me a couple videos to realize you weren't a weird chick with a Phantom of the Opera fetish. :P

It's actually the top half of a V for Vendetta Guy Fawkes mask with eyelashes painted on and fake eyelashes glued to it.

I came up with the idea of using a mask because I hate having to put on make-up so this way all I have to do is put on lipstick and then do the raccoon eyes thing so that any flesh showing through the eye holes does not stand out from the eyeliner painted around the eyehole. Just like Batman does in the movies (except with lipstick.... and boobs).

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited January 2014

Mine always contains enough stuff so I can get lost in the jungle and be able to survive for at least a month.
    Ghastly, you had me fooled, you are more of a woman than I am!
    A friend of mine also does drag and he was sleeping over before we would go to a party and he found out he had forgotten his duct tape :(
    We raided my hubbies toolboxes XD

Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited January 2014

Yeah, when I say duct tape now I'm speaking colloquially. I actually use brand name medical tape for making my boobs now. I had a bad experience with duct tape once where my body heat and stage lights during a performance caused the duct tape to form a symbiotic relationship with my flesh. The result was most painful and took over a year for all the scars to go away.

I now recommend to always use medical or sport tape when doing drag and never duct tape since medical and sport tape are actually designed to be used on flesh. Also go for the brand name stuff. I once used a dollar store sport tape and it ended up bonding to my flesh just like the duct tape did. Also cover your real nipples with band--aids or gauze pads before you tape them up.

33776_486779249668_7090274_n.jpg
    627 x 720 - 59K
    Post edited by ghastlycomic on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Its really amazing what you can learn about people by asking if they carry a purse and what's in it, this is awesome! :) I don't have a purse, never have, anywhere I go I take my drivers licence, debit card, cell phone, and key chain that only has remote start, truck key and house key on it all in my pocket . I like to travel light no matter what ..even when I go away for a few days I only take what I need, all in a small duffle bag, and I figure if I forget something I will just buy another one...lol. When we travel on the Harley everything has to fit in the saddle bags and a duffle bag that can strap on the luggage carrier so I've gotten good at traveling light.

• eclark1849eclark1849 Posts: 211
    edited December 1969

Good answers so far. I stopped by Wal-mart just a while ago and passed by some handbags. I was seriously tempted to buy one to use as a model. Gonna start working on a quick model this afternoon.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited January 2014

I carry an over the shoulder bag that hangs to my hips. It is organizer style, and has many zippered sections. (I dislike purses without zippers).

I clip my keys on the side of the purse, and inside I carry:

1. stamps
    2. Credit cards (in the little pockets inside my organizer).
    3. Drivers License
    4. Mp3 player
    5. Lipstick
    6. Coupons

I do not have a wallet. I carry my credit cards in built in pockets inside the purse (one keeps my lesser used cards, like discount cards, store cards, etc).

The more often used cards are in the prominent Credit card section so I can whip them out, like drivers license.

I tend to keep a brush in several locations such as work drawer, and car, if I need it so, I don't carry one. I have very long hair, so sometimes a hair comb is necessary.

Ironically, I try never to carry actual cash or change. I pay only with credit and debit. I hate messing and carrying around loose change.

My purse is a relic purse, with a peacock design. It is similar to the one below

images.jpg
    225 x 225 - 12K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

My girlfriend has a couple, all the same size, large and fairly unadorned, about 80% of the size of those "bring your own" reusable grocery bags. She keeps various things in there, her glasses case with her sunglasses/glasses interchangeably, a little first aid kit, and a normal wallet, where she keeps all her normal wallet stuff. She just grabs her wallet out when we do stuff and mostly leaves it in the car.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

All my purses, except one, are Coach bags, and I tend to hold onto the strap, though not up near the 'Pit. I tend to hold it where the strap and bag meet.

I once saw a thief cut the strap of a lady's purse, and she wound up losing it as the weight of the purse dragged the strap through her fingers because she wasn't holding on to the purse itself. If someone tried that with me, though Coach straps aren't that easy to cut, I would be the one still holding on to the bag, not the thief, or at least I would hope so.