I can fool you.

Comments

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

3D isn't meant to be "plug and play", any more than oil painting is about tossing some paint on a canvas. The work it takes to get things right in Lux is the nature of what we do as 3D artists. It's an artform that requires technical skill just like photography, and if it were simple and easy and anyone could do it, what would be the point?

Realism is just an aspect of 3D artwork, not the ultimate or lone goal. Lighting is very much the key to approaching photorealism, but only if the textures are good enough to support the look. The below renders by me are hardly photorealistic, but I also think they are more than just what you might call a typical 3D-looking render.

Is-That-You-Dear_wallpaper.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 306K
    Jungle-Kitty_wallpaper.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 409K
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

I think this is the "closest" I have come to realism in DS, minus one I can't post or I'd get banned. :P LOL

Ponderance

I am so all over the board in my art that I rarely try to go "real"....Like many others here I like to have fun and make pretty pictures. That to me is relaxing. :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    I can fool you.

Perhaps not this lot but that is at least partly due to mind set and expectations (they expect 3d renders they see 3d renders) and hyper criticism creeping in. But a fair few of the uninitiated would no doubt be "fooled". On close inspection some of them would realize that there were things about the render that did not "feel" right but many of those are not something people would even really be consciously aware of. No matter what there would be some people who never realized it was anything but a photo. I say this with absolute surety because I've had renders that people were sure were photos and I'm not the worlds greatest at realism by any stretch. Again, people at least partly view images with expectations for what they are. People who don't expect 3d renders are far more likely to accept images as photos. If this were not true then people would not be able to suspend disbelief at movies with 3d special effects (and even many non 3d effects) that almost always suffer from at least a few "unrealistic" flaws.

Very valid points, to those not used to seeing 3D renders, then he could probably fool them, but compared to what 'we' see daily, very far from it.

While the render engine in DS does come in an industry professional version, most here are not able to get the best, most realistic results from it.

One artist that really does great work with the DS native renderer is galung, check out their gallery at Rendo
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=542573

One artist I truly admire for her work with Lux and Octane is elianeck, check out her gallery at Rendo
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=492465

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In 99.9% of what I do the goal is never Photo real. My style leans heavy toward comic book and that 3D comic-ish look is what I want from my renders. If a render I do comes out better than I planned that is just a bonus.

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

I think this is the "closest" I have come to realism in DS, minus one I can't post or I'd get banned. :P LOL

Ponderance

I am so all over the board in my art that I rarely try to go "real"....Like many others here I like to have fun and make pretty pictures. That to me is relaxing. :)

She's beautiful. Shame you rarely do it because I would have sworn that was a real picture had I not known... You would have fooled me. Thank you so much for sharing.
    edited December 1969

3D isn't meant to be "plug and play", any more than oil painting is about tossing some paint on a canvas. The work it takes to get things right in Lux is the nature of what we do as 3D artists. It's an artform that requires technical skill just like photography, and if it were simple and easy and anyone could do it, what would be the point?

The fact that you would ask that question about 'plug and play' is very telling yet 'Instagram' is proof anybody can be a photographer.

One problem is maybe people think this is a competition. A strong opinion arises because you fear only one point of view can prevail and they thought this was another battle and instead of simply another means of expression of the human condition.

ANYBODY can make art and the way we experience growth is to expand the market and remind people that it is not some big impossible new technicality to avoid but an adventure. Maybe other programs are expensive and hard to use but DAZ3D isn't and to me the bottom line is that everybody can enjoy expressing themselves in the way they see fit and the more people that buy the products, the more likely I am to see the products I want become a standard instead of the exceptions.

Thanks for sharing your valuable insight with everybody. Take care and be blessed. We all know its possible to do beautiful things the old fashioned way. The Apple 2 was a great computer in its day and I had hours of fun playing on one but there comes a time when the rules change and everybody wants the Iwatch; but do you know there are still people that are afraid of the change in technology and don't even use the net? Embrace it. Things are going to change and when people learn the beauty of our vision, everybody will be on board and it won't just be some fiefdom you think needs to be difficult.

This isn't a competition, it's a expression and the software is free and easy to use, anybody that has a computer has the potential to fool us all and its EASY with the right materials. Render on friend. Instead of cursing the darkness, let your light shine.

Thousands of candles can be lit from one single candle, and the life of that candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

selfie2hI2.jpg
    1192 x 851 - 464K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

The face is entirely too symmetric, the left and right side of any human face is never a mirror.

The skin looks entirely too matte finished, there should be a slight transparency or light gain around the ears, there s none.

The reflection in the eyes does not appear to be coming from a light source but an image, it looks painted on.

The hair, especially the facial hair has no luster and it doesn't match the hair on the models head in terms of glossiness.

its a good render but you're only fooling yourself thinking you food anyone who uses this software or has done 3D modeling.

this is close, it was done in Maya and you could study this and see why this looks far more convincing.
    http://cghub.com/images/view/412958/

Holy crud. That render is incredible.

+1 - hell's teeth it's impressive! Only niggle after looking at it would be the glass of the lens, I am not convinced they are having a refractive effect.

edited December 1969

The face is entirely too symmetric, the left and right side of any human face is never a mirror.

The skin looks entirely too matte finished, there should be a slight transparency or light gain around the ears, there s none.

The reflection in the eyes does not appear to be coming from a light source but an image, it looks painted on.

The hair, especially the facial hair has no luster and it doesn't match the hair on the models head in terms of glossiness.

its a good render but you’re only fooling yourself thinking you fooled [edited from "food'[ anyone who uses this software or has done 3D modeling.

this is close, it was done in Maya and you could study this and see why this looks far more convincing.
    http://cghub.com/images/view/412958/

I took your excellent advice on board and I'm grateful for your sharing.. AWESOME points. Thanks. Have a great day.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,269
    edited January 2014

When I first entered this thread, I wasn't sure what I would find. I was surprised at how snippy people got, especially when, at first, non showed their own work in comparison that they could do better. Thank God for Cho putting a damper on that string of verbal shenanigans. As to realism not being symmetrical? I have seen people and photo's where you could not tell the differences on each side of the face unless you are using a microscope and picking it apart inch by inch in a desperate search to find imperfection. Far as I'm concerned, I am not going to dissect someone's face or art just because someone else thinks it's not perfect. That breaking bad image is very good, and I would not have known the difference it if had not been for the glasses. They look like they have no glass in them and the frame looks unfinished, with no mat applied and not even smoothed.
    Since CGI is advancing further each day with how realistic they are making things, I hope to one day do renders and animation where you can't tell if it's live or memorex ...lol I have a long way to go, especially in getting a better computer that allows me to use many of the plugins available to improve my work. In the meantime, I think everyone's art here is pretty amazing, even the beginners for trying and showing their work, despite some rather nasty commenters.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

The fact that you would ask that question about 'plug and play' is very telling yet 'Instagram' is proof anybody can be a photographer.

One problem is maybe people think this is a competition. A strong opinion arises because you fear only one point of view can prevail and they thought this was another battle and instead of simply another means of expression of the human condition.

ANYBODY can make art and the way we experience growth is to expand the market and remind people that it is not some big impossible new technicality to avoid but an adventure. Maybe other programs are expensive and hard to use but DAZ3D isn't and to me the bottom line is that everybody can enjoy expressing themselves in the way they see fit and the more people that buy the products, the more likely I am to see the products I want become a standard instead of the exceptions.

Thanks for sharing your valuable insight with everybody. Take care and be blessed. We all know its possible to do beautiful things the old fashioned way. The Apple 2 was a great computer in its day and I had hours of fun playing on one but there comes a time when the rules change and everybody wants the Iwatch; but do you know there are still people that are afraid of the change in technology and don't even use the net? Embrace it. Things are going to change and when people learn the beauty of our vision, everybody will be on board and it won't just be some fiefdom you think needs to be difficult.

This isn't a competition, it's a expression and the software is free and easy to use, anybody that has a computer has the potential to fool us all and its EASY with the right materials. Render on friend. Instead of cursing the darkness, let your light shine.

Thousands of candles can be lit from one single candle, and the life of that candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Since I assume you know what a rhetorical question is and understand one when you see it, and since I also assume you know the difference between someone snapping a cellphone picture and uploading it to Instagram and an actual photographer, I really have no clue what kind of point you're trying to make?

The bottom line is that anyone can operate a point-and-shoot camera, just as a toddler can make art with fingers coated in paint. But a point-and-shoot camera person is NOT the same as a professional photographer no more than my three year old nephew playing with finger paint is Davinci, and it's just disrespectful to those who have mastered a skill if your point is to say there is no difference between the two. Doesn't mean they aren't both artists in their own way.

You say it's not a competition. Not one person here, including me, said anything about a competition. Some people have more knowledge, or experience, or skill, than another. That has nothing to do with implying that one person is somehow better than another, and to acknowledge that someone might have more skill than you does not make it a competition. We're all artists in our own right.

So again, what is your point?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Always liked this one.

nanadone.jpg
    1189 x 1324 - 1M
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Like TheWheelman pointed, I don't see the point of the thread. Only non experienced people can be fooled. Most 3D render have inherent 3DCG characteristics that make them easily recognisable. Even for the Man with glass render, it's a great work but I find it over exagerated which is one point that make it not real. Skin tone, Specular, his cloth and lots of little details are not right

It is very difficult to get rid of 3DCG inherent "fake" look even with the best renders. It takes lots of knowledge and work. Base is good lightning and shading either for realistic or non realistic renders. Lots of improvements came from Pixar's studies in these fields

Also there is a vast world beside DAZ3D in term of 3D. Explore.

Sidenote : 3Delight is not an industry standard. It conforms to Rispec which is an industry standard but that doesn't bring anything in term of realism

G2F.png
    387 x 493 - 213K
    Ice_scene_03luxrender01.jpg
    960 x 540 - 99K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Always liked this one.

Holy crap. Usually I can tell straight off due to the eyes, but this one actually made me do a double take. The brows look a little wirey, but other than that it looks very impressive.

Is that one of yours?

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Always liked this one.

You know, I think that one is the most beautiful picture I've ever seen on these pages. Thank you so much for sharing and btw.. I'm a huge fan. Thank you for sharing and for making those wonderful morph packages.

edited January 2014

Lol I wish it was one of mine..It's just a render I always liked. And thanks for the kind words Snowphoenix:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited January 2014

Found it, with a list of a lot more like it. These apparently are all 3D renderings:
    http://www.bromygod.com/2013/08/20/15-pieces-of-digital-art-that-look-like-photographs-in-hq/

They're all eerily impressive. The mug shot, geez.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Agreed. That mugshot one is damn nice:)

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited April 2014

Post edited by bad4u on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

I really like this one..... http://george0280.cgsociety.org/portfolio/project-detail/1061824 This artist is awesome but this is just my opinion...but if you have ever watched game of thrones...you will know him..." Drogo"......Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Like TheWheelman pointed, I don't see the point of the thread. Only non experienced people can be fooled. Most 3D render have inherent 3DCG characteristics that make them easily recognisable. Even for the Man with glass render, it's a great work but I find it over exagerated which is one point that make it not real. Skin tone, Specular, his cloth and lots of little details are not right

Again you make a materials based argument. After all, garbage in, garbage out. Instead of going around bemoaning what you believe can't be done, go and make it possible.

Let me point out one issue as an example, I have to admit that I don't have a lot of male hair in my runtime... but one thing I've been looking for is "Look At My Hair" products.

You have the wonderfully realistic hair product. I watch the video and it shows that hair styles can be made for humans but not a single P.A. has ever made human hair to put to market in all the time that products been on offer for free.

http://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player

So... we could have a dozen products for sale by now but instead... nothing. It's good enough for the polar bear and the Big Cats 2 and even a beast man but nobody makes some easy humans... As long as you spend all your time looking back you'll have nothing to look forward to. See potential instead of fault. Take care.

edited January 2014

LAMH presets get released for free on their website.
    http://www.furrythings.com/presets-humanoids/
    http://www.furrythings.com/presets-animals/

/edit
    You also have to take into consideration that LAMH is for DS 4.5+ only and can get taxing on a computer's resources. Not everybody has the system to handle it or can even upgrade to DS 4.5+.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Alas, no Genesis 2 presets as far as I can tell. Recently picked up LAMH in the sale, but with the crashes and my lack of innate talent I've had trouble getting much out of it so far. I also have Garibaldi, and I've done a few interesting things with it, but ultimately the two use very similar styling mechanisms so I'm still forever moving guide hairs I didn't intend to.

Maybe one day I'll actually be able to do something proper with them, but it's definitely an art all in itself.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 553
    edited December 1969

I use Reality & Luxrender exclusively with DS4.6 as I aim for realism and its a quicker workflow than using 3Delight (bar render time). Here are a few examples from my dA account I'm particularly proud of:

http://tigerste.deviantart.com/art/Winter-Allure-348104640

http://tigerste.deviantart.com/art/Hyde-373484474

http://tigerste.deviantart.com/art/Sazariel-s-Jason-328922598

edited December 1969

tigerste said:
    I use Reality & Luxrender exclusively with DS4.6 as I aim for realism and its a quicker workflow than using 3Delight (bar render time). Here are a few examples from my dA account I'm particularly proud of:

http://tigerste.deviantart.com/art/Winter-Allure-348104640

http://tigerste.deviantart.com/art/Hyde-373484474

http://tigerste.deviantart.com/art/Sazariel-s-Jason-328922598

I have to say that the one called Jason is exquisite work and my favorite of the group. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing a lot more.

• foundingfatherfoundingfather Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

This program is amazing, actually if the drwaing is really properly done it can fool somebody.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Ha! I was just posting images in another thread of a "virtual photo shoot" I did of myself as my drag persona Lola Internet. A friend wanted to do a photo shoot of me for a show but the show ended up getting cancelled so I decided to try to do a virtual photo shoot. When my boyfriend saw the pictures he asked when I posed for them so I figured that must have mean I did a pretty good job.

Generally though when I do render I don't go for photo realism. As a photographer I find it more rewarding to actually use a camera when I need something photo realistic. As an illustrator I find exploring a more stylised pallet of CG to be more rewarding.

In any case, here is one of my virtual photo shoot pics of myself and a real photo shoot pic of myself for comparison.

Lola_Internet_Lace_1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 322K
    p20120608-014041.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 285K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,312
    edited December 1969

One of the most important realizations in regards to art, is you should never think: you have arrived.

Always strive for improvement.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

One of the most important realizations in regards to art, is you should never think: you have arrived.

Always strive for improvement.

That is so true.

Another thing that does stop people striving for improvement is those people who will just post "Nice Image" or something similar, over and over again when adding comments to images. Far better to say ''Nice image, but it could be better if............" I much prefer comments like that added to my images as constructive critique. I, like many people, am my own worst critic, but often can't quite see what the image needs to improve it. Honest constructive critique, phrased nicely, makes sense and helps people to develop instead of just keep posting the same blasé images because they get favourable, yet basically dishonest or incomplete, comments.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Always liked this one.

Dan Roarty, you can see the wire frames and that one at this site.

http://www.danroarty.com/
    the common denominator in all these mind blowing realistic models is the insane amount of production time needed to make them from the ground up. That one Zev0 posted had me saying "there's no way that's a render" until I found his site and saw the setup images and honestly I'm still not convinced he didn't just take a picture and fake it all later! %-P

edited December 1969

Ha! I was just posting images in another thread of a "virtual photo shoot" I did of myself as my drag persona Lola Internet. A friend wanted to do a photo shoot of me for a show but the show ended up getting cancelled so I decided to try to do a virtual photo shoot. When my boyfriend saw the pictures he asked when I posed for them so I figured that must have mean I did a pretty good job.

Generally though when I do render I don't go for photo realism. As a photographer I find it more rewarding to actually use a camera when I need something photo realistic. As an illustrator I find exploring a more stylised pallet of CG to be more rewarding.

In any case, here is one of my virtual photo shoot pics of myself and a real photo shoot pic of myself for comparison.

You definitely could have fooled me with that render, great job on the realism. I think the point is that you had the freedom to express yourself that way. You get to use any medium you want and still get great results.. gotta love it. Thanks for sharing.