Is there an universal skin shader for custom figures?

akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
edited September 2019 in Product Suggestions

[Is there an universal skin shader for custom figures?] Like if you have human 3d models to import (and it doesn't have diffuse mat, for example, only normals), so what can help you in daz?

(ll move to general discussion if needed)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Does the character use a custom UV?

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    Sevrin said:

Does the character use a custom UV?

Yes, those character models have their own UVs. Unlike daz people, one overall body uv for mesh.

• Well the UV would determine what sort of shader you could use as it likely couldn't have a diffuse map of any sort though you obviously could use your normal in that slot.

3Delight is a bit easier as you can actually use bricks that generate stuff like noise without needing a UV so one could add all over blemishes, pores etc, in Carrara we have a lovely triplanar plugin available  that will do this by Philemo I often use on stuff without a UV or an odd one, not sure if Oso3D has something for iray.

• Well the UV would determine what sort of shader you could use as it likely couldn't have a diffuse map of any sort though you obviously could use your normal in that slot.

Shaders are not UV dependent - only the maps are.

3Delight is a bit easier as you can actually use bricks that generate stuff like noise without needing a UV so one could add all over blemishes, pores etc, in Carrara we have a lovely triplanar plugin available  that will do this by Philemo I often use on stuff without a UV or an odd one, not sure if Oso3D has something for iray.

ah the DAZ studio specific terminology devil

I had this discussion with a former friend, if it's good enough for Jeremy Birn to say the terms are interchangeable it's good enough for me

especially since Carrara my software of choice has only shaders and textures no materials!!!!

• akmerlow said:

[Is there an universal skin shader for custom figures?] Like if you have human 3d models to import (and it doesn't have diffuse mat, for example, only normals), so what can help you in daz?

(ll move to general discussion if needed)

N.G.S. Anagenessis 2 can set up all the maps on both figures and props. However, it requires the figure to have a diffuse/base color map. And the script uses that map to create the rest of the settings. Also, keep in mind that it may not be as intuitive to new users as other shaders are. But I personally learned a lot with it and have consistently given me great results! You can always check out the commercial thread for instructions, more info and the link to the script that would allow you to use this on props.

ah the DAZ studio specific terminology devil

I had this discussion with a former friend, if it's good enough for Jeremy Birn to say the terms are interchangeable it's good enough for me

especially since Carrara my software of choice has only shaders and textures no materials!!!!

I don't think it's DS-only - a shader is a set of rules (and some shaders may be UV-specific, or have UV requirements) that will, among other things, apply maps - and how maps are applied is, in general, governed by the UV mapping. It's an important distinction as losing it may lead to confusion about what can be done and what can't.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

N.G.S. Anagenessis 2 can set up all the maps on both figures and props. However, it requires the figure to have a diffuse/base color map. And the script uses that map to create the rest of the settings. Also, keep in mind that it may not be as intuitive to new users as other shaders are. But I personally learned a lot with it and have consistently given me great results! You can always check out the commercial thread for instructions, more info and the link to the script that would allow you to use this on props.

Thanks for suggestion. I have two models - one has diffuse map along the others, and one doesn't (only displacement and normals).

Here is what i get currently with first in daz (the one with diffuse. strong pores on the nose come from normal map, i can reduce it in iray shader settings, but overall skin is weird. Also haven't properly set eyes so they look bad):

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Procedural skins don’t look as good as crafted skins, but might be good enough for your purposes.

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-master-shader1-for-iray

and

https://www.daz3d.com/iridescent-shaders-for-iray

both have skin options