LOD (level of detail) issue

All documentation I could find on LOD settings was talking about using the Victoria 4 figure so I'm wondering if the LOD feature even works at all now.

I am using a Genesis 2 figure. I exported a clean high resolution obj of the base figure. Then I used  Edit -> Figure - Geometry -> Add Level of Detail -> added the obj named as "test". In the Parameters tab under Mesh Resolution -> Resolution Level -> I selected "test". The figure then disappears.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the LOD feature something that was abbandoned a while back because the documentation was talking about somefeatures that aren't there anymore.

LOD.jpg
1926 x 1690 - 981K

Comments

• LoD is not, I believe, supported in DS 4 - in any event it's for adding lower resolution versions for use as background items, not a high-resolution version, so I wouldn't expect what you are trying to work even if it is still supported.

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I was under the impression you can add levels of detail similar to what ZBrush does and I got excited.

• LoD is not, I believe, supported in DS 4

Garbled memory - it's supported in DS, but not in the DSON format so it has to be added afresh (Rob suggests a post-load script could be used)

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I was under the impression you can add levels of detail similar to what ZBrush does and I got excited.

That's not what LoD is. The equivalent in DS would be Edit>Object>Geometry>Convert to SubD (if it isn't already SubD - the Genesis figues already are) then adjusting the SubDivision Level parameters under Mesh Resolution in the Parameters pane. Iray uses the Render settings, the viewport and exported mesh (including to things like Octane) use the Viewport setting.