How to delete small sections or designs in an object?

I may know the answer to this already but I thought I would ask anyway.  Daz has surprised me with what it can do if I do a little digging.

An app that comes with Windows, 3D Builder, has an option to delete a section of an object.  Bascially if I have an empty large cube and I want to put in a doorway I can use a smaller retangular cube to delete a section.  I place the small cube where I want the doorway and click on subtract.  Does Daz 4.11 have something similar to it?  Or do I need to use 3D Builder?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,905
    edited September 2019

that is boolean and usually creates very bad topography, Hexagon will do it but I would advise subdividing a face instead and deleting quads

DAZ studio may be able to do what I suggested if you add subdivision and convert using the geometry editor but you cannot do just the selected faces like a modeling program so not really a great idea as end up with high poly mesh

a modeling program is best for such stuff such as Hexagon for example

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Are you looking to modify a model? Or create something new?

Daz Studio isn't a modeling program. There are some things you can build in Studio, but you can't delete a section from the primitives in Studio. That is the kind of thing you would do in an actual 3d modeling program. A good, free one is Blender (http://www.blender.org). 3DBuilder is more geared to 3D printing.

•  

There are some things you can build in Studio, but you can't delete a section from the primitives in Studio.

Wait what? Sure you can, the normal way by selecting polys, hiding them and deleting hidden.

•  

There are some things you can build in Studio, but you can't delete a section from the primitives in Studio.

Wait what? Sure you can, the normal way by selecting polys, hiding them and deleting hidden.

It's now possible to select and delete, withoug having to go through the hiding step.

• Sven, Richard, what are you talking about?  I haven't worked with polys yet so is there a tutorial I for it?  Sven, what do you mean by selecting polys, hiding them, and the deleting them?

Cris, I designed a flying craft already and thought it would be neat to put in a hatch.  I have another one would look better with portholes instead of a darkened cylinder to look like one.

I do have Hexagon but haven't done very much with it, yet.  I've done more with 3D Builder but .obj files have trouble opening up in Daz.  I have to open then in Hexagon and then save then again for Daz to read them better.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2019

It's now possible to select and delete, withoug having to go through the hiding step.

Ok, I'm still on 4.9 and 4.10 beta;)

Sven, Richard, what are you talking about?  I haven't worked with polys yet so is there a tutorial I for it?  Sven, what do you mean by selecting polys, hiding them, and the deleting them?

Well Chris is right that DS is not a modelling app, however you can do simple mesh operations using the geometry editor tool. Here I created a primitive cube and deleted a number of polygons. Naturally the walls have no thickness, just saying it's possible;)

You select the cube, go to the tools settings pane and select the geometry editor. You can select single polys by command clicking(I'm a mac user). You can then delete or hide the selected polys, or create a new surface zone that you can make transparent. If you rightclick in the pane you can open a menu with options for selecting, editing etc. Do a google search for DS geometry editor;)

edit to add: I used 8 divisions for the cube in the create primitive menu. If you want a higher resolution, just add divisions as needed.

edited cube.png
    1257 x 671 - 134K
    primitive test.png
    800 x 450 - 287K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Now, that's the ticket.  Thanks.  I'm going to play around with it.

• Hmmm, I think I know a long way of doing this but maybe there's an easier way.  If I select the polys that makes the opening in the box, could the polys be made into a door that can swing open?  (Haven't learn how to make movable objects like doors, windows, etc, yet.)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

Hmmm, I think I know a long way of doing this but maybe there's an easier way.  If I select the polys that makes the opening in the box, could the polys be made into a door that can swing open?  (Haven't learn how to make movable objects like doors, windows, etc, yet.)

If you are really wanting to modify mesh, you should move to a modeling program like hexagon or blender since that is not what DS is..Sven's post shows what can be done, but the same results can be done in a modeling program much faster and more efficiantly.

• If you want to open a door the mesh cannot be welded to the rest of the model

if it is it will just stretch that mesh as it opens when rigged

so in your modelling program it needs to be a separate polymesh

I am getting a Windows 10 PC soon but at the moment don't know anything about the included modeller so cannot say how to do that there

once you have a mesh with two polymeshes you can either import them separately 

or you can convert prop to figure, use the bowtie shaped bone tool to rightclick create a child bone, line it up, memorise rigging, select those polygons with geometry editor and fill them with the weight of that bone, save as support asset prop or figure.

there is much more to this, you really need to follow a tutorial but that's the general gist of it.