How do you completely remove textures from outfits? (Solved)

MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
edited September 2019 in New Users

I'm trying to re-texture the dForce Matador outfit's cape. Did what I usually do, and applied another matte gray shader, just like the rest of the outfit, but it still rendered with the textures, which I don't want. I re-started DS and it still did the same thing. This isn't the only clothing item I have where it didn't want to take different shaders. I'd like to know if there's a quick-fix I can do, so this cape (or any other similar clothing) can take whatever shader I apply to it. That way I can use them for my kitbashing.

Test with OSO3D's Janus Shader: (Nothing happened.)

Test with me straight-up copying the gray materials from G8M's Dev Kit load: (Still nothing!)

This sucks because I wanted to use the cape for kitbashing. I miss the V4/G1 days when items loaded without textures.

EDIT: Figured it out. Silly me. cheeky

Untitled.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 369K
Untitled2.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 361K
Post edited by MimicMolly on

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@MimicMolly, some shaders are set up to only replace specified images and settings. That's intentional. Other shaders replace everything. That's also intentional.

I recommend you create your own "shader" for situations like this, and then turn it into a Custom Action you can access from your Favorites menu, (the action will create it if you don't already have one.)

1. The Render Engine is Iray by default. If you want a 3DL shader, change to 3Delight in the Render Settings first.
    2. Create a new primitive. It doesn't really matter which one.
    3. The primitive is now white with minimal settings. Adjust this according to personal preference in the Surfaces > Editor. For example, set the Diffuse/Base Color to a light gray.
    4. Once you are pleased with the look of your primitive, select the material zone.
    5. From the main menu, select File > Save As > Shader Preset…
    6. Browse to a location to save the preset within your My Library folder. (Mine is [path]/My Library/Presets/Shaders.)
    7. Name your preset and click on the Save button.
    8. In the popup dialog, click on the Accept button. This will save all the current settings, to be applied when you use the shader.
    9. In your Content Library, drill-down My Library to your new preset.
    10. Right-Click on the preset and select Create Custom Action at the bottom of the popup menu, just above Refresh.
    11. In the popup dialog, change the Root Menu setting to Favorites.
    12. Below that is a Submenu field. If you've used Favorites before, and have submenus, you can select one of those, or you can enter the name of a submenu if you want to add one now. I saved mine in a Shaders submenu.
    13. Click on the Accept button.
    14. A message will popup to verify the new entry.

Now any time you want to start without any images or other settings, you can apply your new shader. It is a shader, so you need to select the object in the scene, and select the material zone(s) in the Surfaces > Editor. The open your Favorites menu, drill-down to your shader preset and click.

That doesn't mean there aren't other shaders or material presets that will work for you. But this way, you know exactly what you're getting, and it's exactly what you want.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited September 2019

@L'Adair I thought this was a shader problem, but no, this cape has a "Decal Node" on it because it's not UV mapped to where the front and back side are separate material zones. Either deleting the decal node or closing the eye removes this and the shaders or other textures I use show up underneath. 

The other item I had, I had to expand it and individually select it in order to successfully apply a shader. Most items you just select the figure or object and don't need to be expanding anything to do it.

This is a good reference, since I had no idea how to make my own shader preset. Thank you.

Untitled2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 383K
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I have the matador set, but I haven't used it yet. (Too-much-stuff-not-enough-time syndrome…) I was unaware it uses a decal node. That's really good information for future reference!

And I'm glad the info was still useful to you, even though it didn't solve your problem