Image on a plain with transparency

I have a .png file with an image surrounded by a transparant background. I loaded onta a plane but the transparant part was opache. How can I make it transparant?

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

You will need a black and white mask of the image to put in the Cutout Opacity channel.

• barrieMbarrieM Posts: 282

Fishtales. Fantastic and many thanks. .png file didn't seem to work but .jpeg did work. 

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited September 2019

A png or tif will work but Studio does not read their alpha channel so you still need the black and white (or grey scale) image.

Post edited by jestmart on

I put a png mask in the cutout channel and the coloured image png in the base color channel and they didn't work. The jpeg files did work. If the png files should have worked then I must have forgot to reset other channels.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited September 2019

I think if you put the colour .png in the cutout channel and click on it to open the image editor there is an option under Greyscale to use the Alpha channel. I don't know if that would work, I just create a black and white mask and save as a .jpg.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited September 2019

no need mask,, 

all are explain in this discussion
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/291021/binocular-view-via-camera-how-to

user JonnyRay give a reply for jpg
    " You don't want a transparency layer in the image.

The Opacity Map makes everying black be invisible and everything white be visible with shades of gray in between "fading" between the two extremes. Using texture files with transparency layers in them is only likely to confuse the rendering engine.

For your purpose, you could have a JPG image of a white rectangle with black outlines of the binoculars and use that as your Opacity Map. Then just set the base color of the plane to black and you'll get the type of outline you're looking for."

Post edited by cm152335 on

Thank you for your interesting information. Useful for a binocular or keyhole effect but wouldn't a colored image on a plane have holes if the image contained black.  

• that happen if you use it in cutout opacity

get exemple of CROWD product where they are picture planes with transparency around a character

https://www.daz3d.com/now-crowd-billboards-party-time

Very iteresting idea and quite clever too.