how to combine 2 layers on multiple textures (star trek trill)

xXQuatroXxxXQuatroXx Posts: 173
edited September 2019 in New Users

Hi all,

Huge star trek fan here.

want to make a G8 model with a trill (tattoo) and found this here: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Trill_Overlay_Texture_for_DAZ_Studio_V3

Even though this is for V3 the textures itself are transparent, so technicly shout fit on any character texture Right?

How would one best apply this?

as it has to files, one for the face and one for the whole body without the face. the reason I ask is that I would like them to blend seamlessly together... so to match the face and the body.

Love to hear your solutions ;)

Thanks

a8768928fc887906360ff7073db16632.jpg
352 x 532 - 38K
Post edited by xXQuatroXx on

Comments

• Hi all,

Huge star trek fan here.

want to make a G8 model with a trill (tattoo) and found this here: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Trill_Overlay_Texture_for_DAZ_Studio_V3

Even though this is for V3 the textures itself are transparent, so technicly shout fit on any character texture Right?

Not in gneral, no - how a texture wraps around the mdoel is determined by the UVs, maps made for two different UV mappings will not line up. Fortuantely in this case the Genesis 8 and Genesis 3 UVs are more or less the same so you should be able to use the overlay.

How would one best apply this?

as it has to files, one for the face and one for the whole body without the face. the reason I ask is that I would like them to blend seamlessly together... so to match the face and the body.

The Daz figues generally use separate maps for head and body, and latterly limbs and other areas too. As long as the maps were made for the UV set used they will match at the seams.

Love to hear your solutions ;)

Thanks

Essentially you just need to layer the skin pattern on top of the diffuse you are using, scaled if necessary so that the overlay is exactly the same size as the base map being used (scaling, without adding any extra white space around the edges, dose not affect how an image applies to the model). You can do this in an image editor that suports layers, or you can use the Layered Image Editor in DS. For Iray you could also simply apply the map to the Diffuse Overlay in the Surfaces pane, for which the scaling wouldn't matter at all. If none of those are familiar to you are you using Iray to render? If not, what image editor do you have?

• Mostly i edit with photoshop as i find it easier. Im also familiar with photoshop 3d. So a obj of the model can be exported from daz and opend in photoshop 3d and apply tattoos that way. Works fine with working across seams. But i dont think it will work with this one.
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,059

Hi all,

Huge star trek fan here.

Not in gneral, no - how a texture wraps around the mdoel is determined by the UVs, maps made for two different UV mappings will not line up. Fortuantely in this case the Genesis 8 and Genesis 3 UVs are more or less the same so you should be able to use the overlay.

It's for Victoria 3, not Genesis 3.

• But o have seen images used with the same texture placed on g8 with my own eyes
    But o have seen images used with the same texture placed on g8 with my own eyes

How do you know it was the same texture and not a similar one made for G8F?

• Because i asked but the person wasnt wanting to give out the info how it was done
    Because i asked but the person wasnt wanting to give out the info how it was done

Well there are several ways they could have done it, but none would be one-click solutions. For example:

• using an image editor to modify the V3 textures and manually position and layer the tattoo over the G8 skin
    • using texture conversion programs to convert the overlay texture to G8F or G3F UVs: I don't know of any direct conversion program for V3 to G3/G8, but for example you could use Texture Converter 2 to convert it from V3 to V4 UVs, then use Blacksmith3D's Texture Transformer and add-ons to go from V4 to G3F UVs
    • using some other program to "project" the texture on G8F: I know there was a tutorial on how to do this to convert G2F textures to G3F with blender, for example, a similar method might work.

It would be simpler to use it on G3F as you could use this: https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-3-special-edition-victoria-3 (there's no G8F version though)

To use the overlay above a G3F texture you'd need to load 2 copies of G3F: one "regular" G3F with the G3F texture, and one using the legacy UVs product with the overlay applied and transparent elsewhere. Give both figures the same pose, and add a slight push modifier or scale up the "overlay G3F" a bit so that the tattoo is above the base skin.

• ... or check out the edition for V4 -- spotted alien overlays -- on sharecg.com

... or check out the ,png file to make brushes - alien spot brushes - on deviantart.com