Llola Lane's Story Telling Thread... Looking for Writers/Poets!!! Join me if you wish :)

Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,062
edited February 2014 in Art Studio

Anyone interested on joining me for a writing thread??? I posted a 3D render and a 1,000 word or less PGish story/poem inspired by the render. I do something similar in Second Life... http://ozlandbard.blogspot.com/ It's really a fun thing to do... I love writing... Do I have any takers???
------

Here is the idea/rules.....

ANY 3D rendering program can be used... There is NO time limit.... submit when you get your story finished. :)

Instead of ME giving YOU a render.. you can use one of your own... the story/poem must be no longer than 1,000ish words.... Let's keep it PGish please... If you want a longer story.. you MUST add another picture in the series with still no longer than 1,000ish word story. That should keep the thread looking great with renders and not too long for anyone to read. Hope this all makes sense.. If you have any questions.. you can PM me... Stories can be ANY genre... This is JUST FOR FUN... I don't want to discourage anyone... ALL are welcome to participate. Now.. let's have fun!!! (commences writing)

Post edited by Llola Lane on

Comments

• Ariella CandelariaAriella Candelaria Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

I love to write but I have recently been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Very painful targets the nerves the muscles and the bones. I think doing 2 of my top 5 favorite things (Writing and 3D Art will be beneficial. I might be able to do something once a week or so. I am in thank you for the opportunity.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,062
    edited December 1969

Hi Stelz... Let's give it a try... :) I'll post a picture and people can add their story as they wish... no time limit... I'll post a new thread PER picture... so you can pick and choose whichever render inspires you... what do you think???

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

You write - I read :-)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    You write - I read :-)

haaaa ... ok. bigh... I'm gonna give it a try... ;)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You would ask this now. I'm not going to have time to do two such projects as I just rendered image one for mine. Also I plan to use just a bit less text than that. I'm all for this and plan to watch it closely as it goes.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited January 2014

oh what the heck it will give me something to be constructive with...LOL Trish.....I have read one of your stories in the link you posted ...about the shelter..that was awesome!!! p.s. I do not write well...but I will try

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

OK.. EVERYONE.. I think I've come up with a great thread... I've reworked the rules above on page one... give it a look... Instead of ME giving YOU a render.. you can use one of your own... the story/poem must be no longer than 1,000ish words.... Let's keep it PGish please... If you want a longer story.. you MUST add another picture in the series with still no longer than 1,000ish word story. That should keep the thread looking great with renders and not too long for anyone to read. Hope this all makes sense.. If you have any questions.. you can PM me... Stories can be ANY genre... This is JUST FOR FUN... I don't want to discourage anyone... ALL are welcome to participate. Now.. let's have fun!!! (commences writing)

edited December 1969

oh what the heck it will give me something to be constructive with...LOL Trish.....I have read one of your stories in the link you posted ...about the shelter..that was awesome!!! p.s. I do not write well...but I will try

THANK YOU Trish.. glad you liked my story... Don't worry about being a writer.. this is for FUNNNN with a capital "F" :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with.. Have F-un :)

edited January 2014

Here's a poem/song to get us started that I wrote a few years back... the whole story is on our blog... http://ozlandbard.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html

"Lucus Glub Theme Song" by Llola Lane (Sung to the tune of Daniel Boone Theme Song)

Lucus Glub is a man. Yes a mean man.
    With a voice that is grouchie he's as grumpy as a man be.

He is old and decrepet and he's feared by the people is he.

From the scarf on his neck to the hat of ole Luke to the bottom of his stinky shoe.
    The crabbiest smelliest cantankerous old man the people ever knew.

He fights with his neighbors out of spite cause he's mean as can be.
    Lucas Glub. What a crab. What a mean ole drab is he.

108 words

Trick_or_Treeeeeeeet_by_Llola_Lane_1024_signed.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 668K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited December 1969

Here is another... get the idea???

This was written this past December 2013... more on our blog...

"A Shelter's Story" by Llola Lane (Part 1 Hobo)

I have seen many people in my short lifetime. Felt many heartaches, witnessed many first loves blossom, and lost many friends. I have celebrated many birthdays and other happy occasions, and though most have faded from memory... a few people I can't seem to forget.

The hobo that sleeps on my bench every night, for one. He won't let me forget him. I feel sorry for him. Night after night, rain or shine, cold or warm he is here like clockwork the same time each night. The nights are colder and it is winter now. My roof has snow on it. He will not have enough clothes on when he shows up tonight, and I am afraid he will never wake up.

I see him in the distance as he makes his way to me. As he gets closer I can see him sway with the wind. He stumbles on my steps as he greets me, then goes to his favorite bench, mutters a few words that I don't understand, and then lays down. He snores almost immediately. His hair is long and untamed and he does not wear a hat. He has a beard that is not combed. Tonight he has a coat on and I am happy. A breeze blows the tattered and torn scarf around his neck. I guard him as he sleeps like a mother watches her child.

Last night two nice policemen came and woke him from his sleep and went with them to a nice warm shelter with closed walls and heat. My walls are open and I have no heat except if the sun comes out. I watched them lead him to the building, it is across the street. They made sure he was fed before they left him and resumed their duties. He seemed happy as he smiled at them. I hope they come to get him tonight. It is cold out here.

They have visited other times too. Sometimes they don't see him asleep on my bench because he is hidden behind my wall. Those were the nights I worried about him the most. When the wind rushes right through me and I'm sure through him too. A snowflake would land on his face and he would move to brush it away, and I knew he is still alive.

As I reminisce this night passes quickly. The sun rises and it is a new day. I see him wake, stretch, and then leave the way he came. I watch him til he is but a tiny speck in the distance. I always watch him. I have been watching him for many years, and as the years have passed I watch him move more slowly. No one ever talks to him, except the two policemen that lead him away. I never see him bring a loved one. He mutters to himself sometimes, but I do not understand a word he says.

The day rushes on and I think of him now and then and wonder where he goes during the day. I hope he is not alone. I wish him a warm place tonight. It is a special night... Tonight... is Christmas Night. I watch as someone decorates my roof with greens and bows. As night arrives, he approaches I can hear him humming a tune. Slowly and distinctly he sings about a baby in a manger. I hear every word. I am moved by his singing. He sings like an angel. I've never heard him sing before. Tonight he seems happy. He sits on my bench and then lies across it to sleep. He looks peaceful.

The two policemen arrive in the morning. Fresh snow has fallen and they do not see his footsteps. One man turns to walk away but the other presses him to walk around to the other side. They walk to the back and see him lying on the bench. They touch his shoulder and he does not move. They try to wake him up harder and he does not budge. "Wake up" I yell. But he does not stir.

Soon I see an ambulance arrive and they take him away. He never returns and as the days turn into months I realize I miss him. I hum HIS tune often as I watch the people go by.

730 words

WINTER_SHELTER_by_Llola_LaneE.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 650K
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

I love writing. I'm bad at it, but I live doing it. Won't be able to fit it in between work and all teh other stuff I cram into 24 hours. I think my relationship would suffer ;)

• BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

I love the idea and have 'subscribed' to this thread.

How often I will be able to contribute, is another matter. I work a full time job, do off-duty 1 day a week (I am a Corrections Officer in my RL) and I have set myself a goal to publish 3 novels this year (not counting the one that I will put out at the end of this month...that was supposed to be 2013 but computer issues pushed it back a month). However, I do love the idea and will try to submit.

edited December 1969

Hi Everyone..
    I'm glad I sparked some interest.. remember.. there is NO TIME LIMIT... this is meant to be fun... Even if you don't concider yourself a "writer"... I'd love to hear your story. Spelling does count though.. lol... It took me 3 years of writing a story a week to get better... I really sucked with my first few stories... Reading them out loud on voice helped too... I looooooooove it... Never thought I'd even like it. Just TRY!!! This is just for fun...
    Make a render...
    Write a SHORT story (1,000 words or less)
    Post it here...
    It's that simple... and most of all... HAVE FUN!!!

edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    Hi Everyone..
    I'm glad I sparked some interest.. remember.. there is NO TIME LIMIT... this is meant to be fun... Even if you don't concider yourself a "writer"... I'd love to hear your story. Spelling does count though.. lol... It took me 3 years of writing a story a week to get better... I really sucked with my first few stories... Reading them out loud on voice helped too... I looooooooove it... Never thought I'd even like it. Just TRY!!! This is just for fun...
    Make a render...
    Write a SHORT story (1,000 words or less)
    Post it here...
    It's that simple... and most of all... HAVE FUN!!!

delightful tales to start - hope to read many more .

edited January 2014

Llolalane: You can not stop there you must post part 2 of the shelter story....I think you should let us post the pictures and you do the stories....??? You write so well I and can really picture in my head whats going on while reading what you have written....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Llolalane: You can not stop there you must post part 2 of the shelter story....I think you should let us post the pictures and you do the stories....??? You write so well I and can really picture in my head whats going on while reading what you have written....Trish

Haaa.. me write FOR you??? That would be cheating.. lol.. I may post the part 2... but I need to make another render to go with it... as per the rules... :) Can't wait to see what YOU come up with Trish.. winks.. Hugzzzzzzz

edited December 1969

ok... don't laugh... this is my first ever poem inspired by a Photograph for my art gallery in SL.. I redid the photograph into a 3D rendering but the poem still works... If you'd like me to read it to you... click here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfa0CmtdYqM ...ENJOY!!!

"Grrrrrrrrrr... It's July!" by Llola Lane

Why DO we have snow??? Why DON'T we have green grass???
    Why DO we have blizzards??? Why DON'T they just pass???

Why IS it so dark??? Why DON'T we have bright sun???
    Why DO we have to stay inside??? Why CAN'T we go out to have fun???

Why IS it sooooooo cold??? Why DON'T we have warm weather???
    Why DO I smell holly??? Why DON'T I smell heather???

Why IS the wind howling??? Why DON'T we have a light breeze???
    Why DO we wear a coat??? Why CAN'T we wear short sleeves???

Why DO the men have a beard??? Why DON'T they shave???
    Why ARE the kids so naughty??? Why DON'T they just behave???

Why ARE the trees so bare??? Why DON'T they have leaves???
    Why DO we wear wool??? Why DON'T we have cotton weaves???

Why DO we cook in the oven??? Why CAN'T we light the grill???
    Why IS it so busy??? Why CAN'T it be still???

The answer is simple you see...
    I live at the North Pole.. with my family!

JULY_2010_HOUSE_wLIGHTS_DONE_SIGNn.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 472K
    edited December 1969

Here's another poem... this time about kitties... I did a 3D rendering to go along with the poem.. If you'd like me to read it to you... click here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBmDO8bkWc ...ENJOY!!!

"Three Kitties Are We" by Llola Lane

Three Kitties are we
    a family we be
    two are a she
    one is a he

Three Kitties are we
    pet us we plea
    two at your knee
    the other by me

Three Kitties are we
    we don't flee
    two purr at thee
    one purrs at me

Three Kitties are we
    with big eyes we can see
    two look with glee
    one sees a flea

Three Kitties are we
    playfullness is the key
    two climb a tree
    one goes to sea

Three Kitties are we
    happy to be free
    two love thee
    one loves me!

JULY_2011_3_KITTIES_blk_bkgndDd_FLOWERSs_DONE_SIGN.jpg
    1024 x 624 - 344K
    edited December 1969

Ok now that's more like it is all I can say is awesome....I really like it when you read to me....Thank you for the link...you should write a book you are wonderful...!! Trish

edited December 1969

Ok now that's more like it is all I can say is awesome....I really like it when you read to me....Thank you for the link...you should write a book you are wonderful...!! Trish

Ha.. thank you Trish... I'll be linking more of my stories... just gotta make renders for them.. lol... ENJOY :)

edited December 1969

"The Devil and the Mandolin" by Llola Lane
    (based on the song "Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels)

The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal.
    He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind and he was willin' to make a deal.
    When he came across this young man sawin' on a fiddle and playin' it hot.
    And the devil jumped upon a hickory stump and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
    "I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
    "And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
    "Now you play a pretty good fiddle, boy, but give the devil his due:
    "I bet this fiddle of gold against your soul, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
    The boy said: "My name's Johnny and it might be a sin,
    "But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."

Johnny you rosin up your bow and play your fiddle hard.
    'Cos hells broke loose in Georgia and the devil deals the cards.
    And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold.
    But if you lose, the devil gets your soul.

The devil opened up his case and he said: "I'll start this show."
    And fire flew from his fingertips as he rosined up his bow.
    And he pulled the bow across his strings and it made an evil hiss.
    Then a band of demons joined in and it sounded something like this.
    When the devil finished, Johnny said: "Well you're pretty good ol' son.
    "But sit down in that chair, right there, and let me show you how its done."

Fire on the mountain, run boys, run.
    The devil's in the house of the risin' sun.
    Chicken in the bread pan, pickin' out dough.
    "Granny, does your dog bite?"
    "No, child, no."

The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
    He laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet.
    Johnny said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
    "cause I told you once, you son of a gun, I'm the best there's ever been."

And he played fire on the mountain, run boys, run.
    The devil's in the house of the risin' sun.
    Chicken in the bread pan, now they're pickin' out dough.
    "Granny, will your dog bite?"
    "No, child, no."

---------------

The Devil layed his golden fiddle at Johnny's feet. He heard Johnny mention something about trying again, but all he could think about was how stupid he had been. He was so sure he would win. HOW could this mere mortal beat him? Even the demons had tapped their toes at Johnny's playing. He had underestimated Johnny. He wouldn't do that again!

Angerly the devil turned away from Johnny and the golden fiddle, and with a poof of black smoke was back home in hell. He HAD to get his fiddle back. It was not meant for a mortal to play. He needed a new plan...

---------------

Johnny picked up the golden fiddle. Even the devils own demons had danced to his music. He smiled to himself smuggly. The fiddle was still warm from the devil's playing, it felt good in his hands. It's gold body gleamed in the light of the risin' sun. He brought the fiddle to his chin and stroked the strings with the bow. They made an evil hiss.

He felt an evil twinge. He knew he should stop playing the fiddle, but he didn't. It sounded great. The devil never played this fiddle so good. The faster Johnny played the more the evil swelled inside him. He tried to put the fiddle down but he could not. It's grasp was strong.

---------------

The devil heard the music of the fiddle and smiled. He knew the fiddles' curse. You didn't play the fiddle... it LET you play it. But he still wanted it back. He had his plan... now he had to go get it.

The black mandolin with it's golden strings was spun from the same black magic as the golden fiddle. The devil wasn't as fond of the mandolin so he didn't care if he lost it to Johnny. All he knew was he wanted his golden fiddle back. He grabbed the mandolin and headed for the surface.

The fiddle's music burned his ears as he made his way to Johnny. The music was deafening. He knew he would go mad if he didn't get it back. He needed to find Johnny quickly. He followed the music til he found Johnny... still playing at the risin' sun.

---------------

Johnny played the fiddle hard. A band of Demons had gathered round him. They joined him in his tune. Johnny's eyes were deep red. Tiny bits of fire flew from his finger tips as he rosined up his bow. The devil knew he had to work fast before the fiddle took Johnny over completely. That fiddle was HIS and NO mere mortal was going to take it from him!

The Devil waited in the doorway and listened for his chance. Then he heard it... Johnny was bragging. He dared anyone to be better than him on his new fiddle. Then... the words the Devil had been waiting for...

"I BET this fiddle of gold that I'm better than ANY of you," Johnny yelled out!

The Devil stepped through the doorway and yelled back... "I'll take that bet and you're gonna regret cause... I'M... the best that's ever been!"

The whole room stopped and stared at the devil and Johnny. They waited to see what would happen, they knew an evil battle was brewing but no one knew what the outcome would be.

---------------

End of Part 1

THE_DEVIL_AND_JOHNNY_26minute_renderR_DONE_SIGN.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 612K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing these with us, Llola. You might remember I've enjoyed Johnny and the Mandolin before (great to see it here). Those 3 cats are adorable, love the whimsical look and vibrant colours.

edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    Thanks for sharing these with us, Llola. You might remember I've enjoyed Johnny and the Mandolin before (great to see it here). Those 3 cats are adorable, love the whimsical look and vibrant colours.

hiii Jindi... yes.. thought I'd put Johnny here for others to see.. I'll have to make new renders for parts 2 and 3.... Glad you like the kitties... It was fun to work a whimsy render rather than a straight.. although it still took the same amount of time to get it to look right.. meowww... :) Happy New Year to you.

edited January 2014

there once was a man that wasn't there
    he wasn't there again today
    wish he would go away

I look around the room but there's nothing there
    he looks at me but sees me not

I hear a rap rap at the window I look
    but hes not there

I spin a round nothing there
    maybe hes at my back

I look down the hall
    nothing to see
    is he standing there looking at me

the door swing open o so slowly
    I look there nothing to see
    Maybe he doesn't like me

no one hears me
    am I there

so I set all alone

01_room.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 251K
    Post edited by bigh on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

Here is a little ditty I came up with... needs a render... Sorry for the Down but I was down at the time.

Silence is Golden, oh so deadly bright.
    When it is all you listen too, each and every night.

Alone_in_the_Shadows5.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 370K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited January 2014

you wait for me in the window
    your eyes reflecting the light
    the sound of my car on the gravel
    is what you crave in the night
    as I alight from my drivers door
    I hear your piteous meows
    I fumble at front door for my keys
    both are banging on it now
    I get the door finally open
    I am phalanx-ed by furry rubbings
    as I stumble to the kitchen
    they bow before me
    the goddess of food
    writhing in ecstasy on the floor
    with difficulty I fill the bowls
    headbutted constantly and anointed with feline snot
    then a nose in the air
    the food is deemed
    UNWORTHY
    off they strut tails in the air.

Doc5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

you wait for me in the window
    your eyes reflecting the light
    the sound of my car on the gravel
    is what you crave in the night
    as I alight from my drivers door
    I hear your piteous meows
    I fumble at front door for my keys
    both are banging on it now
    I get the door finally open
    I am phalanx-ed by furry rubbings
    as I stumble to the kitchen
    they bow before me
    the goddess of food
    writhing in ecstasy on the floor
    with difficulty I fill the bowls
    headbutted constantly and anointed with feline snot
    then a nose in the air
    the food is deemed
    UNWORTHY
    off they strut tails in the air.

Oh Wendy.. I DO so know the feeling... we doooo so love our kitties :) Thank you for sharing.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Here is a little ditty I came up with... needs a render... Sorry for the Down but I was down at the time.

Silence is Golden, oh so deadly bright.
    When it is all you listen too, each and every night.

Thank you Jaiderail... please don't forget to include a render with your ditty ... and hope you are UP now :)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    there once was a man that wasn't there
    he wasn't there again today
    wish he would go away

I look around the room but there's nothing there
    he looks at me but sees me not

I hear a rap rap at the window I look
    but hes not there

I spin a round nothing there
    maybe hes at my back

I look down the hall
    nothing to see
    is he standing there looking at me

the door swing open o so slowly
    I look there nothing to see
    Maybe he doesn't like me

no one hears me
    am I there

so I set all alone

Thank you for the lovely poem Bigh... I SEE you ;)... don't forget to add a render please :)

edited December 1969

I'm loving all the stories/poems.... Please don't forget to add a STORY/POEM... AND... a RENDER :) Keep up the great work.. Happy Rendering!!!!!