I make a COMMISSION offer to any content artist seeing this post - details below

Hi Daz content creators:

First off, a BIG THANK YOU, for the amazing Nautical scene props you folks have created.  Love the harbour which I bought recently along with those neat Ocean Buoys.  They do wonders to enhancing my Frogwomen scenes.  Would like to make a suggestion which is the following.  You guys did an awesome job on the american uniforms, but is there any way you could do up basic and generic uniforms for the Brits and Germans?  The Commonwealth ones you don't have to worry regarding sensitivity issues, however the German ones (yes I DO understand) are trickier - so here is how you get around it, just do the basic equipment and uniform plus helmet of a Wehrmacht soldier - MINUS the national symbols of the "Thunder budgee" the unit armbands swastikas etc - a basic field gray uniform with webbing, helm, uniform boots etc but no insignia of any kind - simple, straight forward.  I saw the Blitz girl one, and that was okay, but you really didn't do the headgear justice, I'm sorry but, you didin't include a gasmask bag or her "Tin Hat" and I'm sorry but your colours were totally off, all you would have needed were Black for navy, Olive for army and Blue for the RAF.  Alot of you are millenials so you don't get the importance of these kind of details to someone like me, who IS getting up there (60 and counting, heheheh) and who likes details when they do military scenes.  You have a wealth of info at your disposal from Osprey books and other fine artists, so designing Commonwealth female uniforms would not be an issue.  Personally I would be willing to put down 200 dollars for a single such set.  Yeah I know you say I'm crazy, but the fact of the matter is - and again I do not want to disparage nor insult Americans, but French, Canadians, British, Dutch, Belgiums (and all the others I have failed to mention) had a hand in defeating Facisim, so it REALLY wouldn't be offending people if you did accurate uniforms like that.  Now if you want to restrict than just do British, French ones that is entirely your call.  Another constructive criticism I have is this: if you are going to do tanks, or uniforms or space ships - don't leave your fan base hanging.  God if I had YOUR talents ladies and gentlemen, I would be designing uniforms steady or surprising my fan base.  As an example you did a LOVELY GORGEOUS Fokker WWI, with tons of neat paint schemes - I have that one too BTW, so why didn't someone do up a Sopwith Camel or a Curtis Jenny or better still a BIG, BAD nasty Zeppelin to to include.  You did the Trenches, but then you left us hanging with NO WWI tank like a Renault FT-17 (Like in the youtube short film Poilus with the cute bunny soldiers in it) or better still a lumbering MK IV male or female tank.

I am not writing this to: Judge, or Belittle, or Offend, merely to S U G G E S T.  Believe me ladies and gentlemen when I say projects cannot always been done (trust me, I aint stupid - there is cost factors, time, prep and of course HOME LIFE) so yes I VERY much understand.  I have thought about doing this myself, but I'll be honest, I really do lack the intellect and patience to try ZBrush and to do up a basic British uniform.  I have suggested you do Sexy Female Hussar uniforms to go with Daz 3 Horse, but again it would be interest in the project, and your own personal tastes, ie what I like, you may hate and dispise and you have every right to that.  I'd love to see and LGBTQ2 series of flag props, etc, but no one has come up with that yet - maybe its in the works maybe not who knows.  Hell I would be thrilled if some of you content artists would not be offended by doing a british Uniform WWII, but this is up to you.  All I can say is, I am willing to put up 200 to get the ball rolling, maybe if someone wanted a French Foreign Legion outfit (and not a comical one) there would be a history fanboy or girl willing to put down funds for that.  I have approached people at renderocity to fix the British set they had so it can easily be applied to DAZ but still no response.

So I am approaching the content artists who do military kit and asking them to give me a base line idea if the above kit, and WWI tanks are a) feasible, b) doable and c) economically yieldable.  See gang I am not an unreasonable person.  So if there are any content artists reading this email, I have 200 - 350 dollars in my pocket waiting to be put forward to such a project.  My conditions are however the following: a) flawless historical accuracy, Must fit the DAZ figure both male and female without holes, or gaps or other glitches b) include ALL kit, ie full uniform, webbing, helmet, poses and accurate weaponry, not some DREAMED UP futury version of a Lee Enfield etc.  The other thing I want to point out is this, if it could be done, I would want you guys to release it for EVERYONE to use.

Funny story I even approached a renderotica content artist and put the same idea to him/her so far all they said was there is no time, they have their own projects to deal with and that was the end ot it - still waiting to hear back from them.  See on Deviant art if I asked for a commission of Wonder Women holding hands with another amazon, and this done in pen and ink I would get it.  So why is it so hard for me to put forward this to you fine folks.  Anyway I am putting this forward to you guys, I amy surprise you and go as High as 400, but then there can be no mistakes, no cheesy add-ons which don't fit with historical accuracy and to needs to work with male and female gen 3s and gen 8s.  The ball as they say is in your court, if anyone is interested give me a shout or just tell me to drop dead and I will cheerfully do so. Take care gang, and as always it was wonderful chatting with you. Slanghavah for now :)

Comments

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

I believe that what you are seeing is the result of a (relative) lack of interest among the customers. While I don't have access to the sales figures, I can guess that for a content artist to create out of the mainstream is to take a big chance. What you are asking for - a WWI uniform perfect detail - would likely sell so poorly as to not be worth the artist's time.
    That might be why we see other uniforms for a female character that don't have a corresponding male uniform, the female didn't sell well enough for a male to be worth the effort. Maybe.
    The questions that the artist must answer before even beginning are "How long will this take" and "Will enough people buy it to give me a reasonable return for my time".
    Your best bet would be for you to take the gamble, commission an artist to make what you want with you owning all rights. Then you could offer it to DAZ and/or other sites for sale as a product, taking the risk of not getting your costs back. Of course, that would be expensive, but it would be you taking the popularity gamble, and not the artist. If that's even possible.
    Or you could make an agreement with an artist, then start a kickstarter. Just brainstorming, here.

• Thanks Petercat, I kind of figured that, but when you say expensive - and i will give t he example of a WWII pattern British battledress, pants helmet, basic webbing and boots, if I were to approach Luthbellina, what would expensive be a couple of hundred, 2K.  If they were to make it for me that would be great, but I would still like a rough idea how much it would cost.  Next if I were silly enough to go ahead with this, who would I approach - I'm guessing Luthbellina right?  Please advise, cheers and many thanks for your help. Have an amazing rest of the day.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

I’d recommend you ask the artists themselves. SickleYield, for example, has stated that she doesn’t take commissions, but even so, she might answer a hypothetical question about how much she would need to be paid in order for the work to be worth her time.

• Thanks Gordig, now the next big question how do I contact Sickleyield, or any of the content artist for that matter.  Thanking you in advance. Cheers for now

• Morning everyone in this conversation and also you wonderful Daz Admins and content artists.  First off i want to thank all of you profusely who gave me info and insight on the above.  My problem is bc I am a non-professional niece artist and history buff, I often get frustrated in waiting for someone to create the kind of "toys" I like, ie WW1 uniforms, trucks planes etc.  Having followed a number of not so fun conversations other folks have had with each other I realized I am also to blame, so I started to do research (which as ALL of you have pointed out is KEY and PARAMOUNT) if you want to get things you like.  Recently I had a conversation with Turbosquid and asked them if I bought one of their VERY expensive models ie like a French Renault tank (that would be crewed by Victoria 8, and Lt. Parker heheheh) how the duce would I transfer the thing -  They up front told me oh in most cases that won't work - OH GREAT I advised this person, so I buy an expensive British Tank pay on average 200 to 400 bucks then I can't even use it - Wonderful.

Needless to say I politely told him that if you are going to soak an artist for a fair bit of money - MAYBE you execs "In the High Castle" should start working on strategies whereby this product can be transfer (quickly, painlessly and easily) from TS to Daz or Blender or whatever), but I digress.  So doing my reseach I of course saw pros and cons in any 3D product.  So fair Blender 2.8 is starting to be my new "paramour".  Doing simple projects like wells, Lighthouses and even Tanks (Yes there is a neat modern tank tutorial on it).  The ease of use plus the HUGE community of support for this product (not to mention ENDLESS instructional vids is incredible) is the thing that clinched this for me, also since I do not at this point do animations, and only static DAZ displays - I am reasonable happy with this product.

Like basic art principles, a British Tank from WW1 is essentially squares and circles, cylinders and the like - RIGHT?! same as a Horse-Drawn Ambulance from that era.  So this is my journey of discovery with 3D art.  pretty good for a doddering bloke of 60 who roughly 7 years ago wanted to get into 3D, but was deathly terrified of it!  I will of course keep you posted how I make out, but before I close I want to AGAIN profusely thank all the content artists who do their best to pitch our ideas to their respective teams and who create the amazing easy to use products of DAZ.  Big thank you for those amazing WWII pilot uniforms. Cheers for now gang, and all the best in keeping the world positive with 3D art!

• Hi Fanboyartist, I also use Blender 2.80 to make things for Daz, the easiest way to scale the new item, is to export your base figure, posed if needed. And use that as your base start, at least when you export/import to Daz it'll be the right size. You can then play with it in daz, until your happy with it and save it as a prop or clothing etc. which would make reusing so much easier.