CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK V

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2019
    hacsart said:

While we're looking at Jaguars... - 1966 XJ-13

Aah V12...the sound...nice...and love that color:)

Well here's another not so shiny one..."Bugarty" laugh

Grand Prix sports car awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Nice.. any tips on dirtying them up.. love the weathering..

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    hacsart said:

While we're looking at Jaguars... - 1966 XJ-13

Wow!  Really nice!

Dana

hacsart said:

Nice.. any tips on dirtying them up.. love the weathering..

Definitely not an expert, but learning by doing:) Well I had to create a number of controlmaps, some of the diffuse maps had dirt baked in already, I just added some more, then had to make specular- bump- and roughness maps to make the dirt less glossy/reflective. Awe uses a roughness workflow, while the DS default shader uses glossiness, which is kind of the opposite. Just start by opening the diffuse maps in GIMP/PS/editor of choice, and paint dirt on a transparent layer, export as a new diffuse map, then use the same layer to make a grayscale specular strength map, that will take you a long way already. To make the dirt rougher using the default shader I think a darker value means less glossy, should work when loaded into the glossiness slot. You probably also need to insert the specular map into the reflection strength slot.

Thanks.. will have a go!

edited November 2019

Another Jag - XK-120

jag_xk120_2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    Post edited by hacsart on
    edited November 2019

and another Jag - XJS:

jag_xjs_1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M

The Jags do have a nice style.  But my brother in law had one for a while and he says they are a maintenance nightmare, things always going wrong.  So...I'll just look (not that I could afford one, anyway).

Dana

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335

There are a few 53 Corvette's out there in the 3D world, some of them are freebies, but also very poor models to start with, if you can find a decent one at a moderate price, probably worth the money.

Where did you get the 57 Buick wagon?

I searched for a Volvo P1800, the high poly ones are around 100 US dollarscrying.

edited November 2019

its an  older HUM3d model. you can tell by the one piece simple interior..  used to buy stuff when I was working ((before retirement I could pick up a few models  every month or so and consider it hobby money (and most models were a lot cheaper, too, back then), just never had the time to actually use them..)) . have a stash of car models  on a DVD that I'm just going through now..

GLWoodard said:

Where did you get the 57 Buick wagon?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited November 2019
    DanaTA said:

The Jags do have a nice style.  But my brother in law had one for a while and he says they are a maintenance nightmare, things always going wrong.  So...I'll just look (not that I could afford one, anyway).

Dana

I was a Master Tech for 20+ years and where I worked we would send the Jag owners to another shop or the dealer especially for alignments and especially on the XKE's which needed an alignment as soon as you pulled it off the rack  and it took about 6 hrs to do right

The tech at the place we would recommend specialized in Jags and told me he loved to see an XKE come in because he could afford to take a two day holiday after he did the alignment

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    DanaTA said:

Dana

I was a Master Tech for 20+ years and where I worked we would send the Jag owners to another shop or the dealer especially for alignments and especially on the XKE's which needed an alignment as soon as you pulled it off the rack  and it took about 6 hrs to do right

The tech at the place we would recommend specialized in Jags and told me he loved to see an XKE come in because he could afford to take a two day holiday after he did the alignment

laugh

Dana

yeah.. and with SU carbs and Lucas electrics ( Lucas, Prince of Darkness), well. there you go..

DanaTA said:

Dana

edited November 2019

Tho has bespoken the Demons name

Of course what can you expect from a washing machine company

To be fair, Wipac could be worse... but  yeah.. Lucas....

Tho has bespoken the Demons name

Of course what can you expect from a washing machine company

edited November 2019

30 Ford Model A Tudor!

30 Tudor.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 539K
    Post edited by GLWoodard on

Nice! Thompson's a nice touch!

edited November 2019

Alternate power.. inspired by a car pic on Twitter of the real thing..

and just for giggles...

bug_radial_2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    bug_steam_3.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
  • Doe's the bottom one come with an espresso maker option

@hacsart very cool stuff indeed:)

Having in the past volunteered to work as crew on a steam locomotive at work I can say that you really don;t want to use boiler water for tea or coffee.. the water treament chemicals - anti-scale and anti foam are not good for you.. :)   (and at 250 working PSI, water  boiling point is around 400F) :)

Doe's the bottom one come with an espresso maker option

• hacsart said:

Having in the past volunteered to work as crew on a steam locomotive at work I can say that you really don;t want to use boiler water for tea or coffee.. the water treament chemicals - anti-scale and anti foam are not good for you.. :)   (and at 250 working PSI, water  boiling point is around 400F) :)

Very true you would want a separate pure water tank that's heated by an exchanger coil from the others 

heh.. we had a shelf over the firebox door that would keep a kettle hot.. Nowadays our diesel locos include a cab hotplate.

hacsart said:

Very true you would want a separate pure water tank that's heated by an exchanger coil from the others 

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

As always very cool car renders........

edited November 2019

@hacsart thought you might appreciate this

https://www.kltv.com/2019/11/11/big-boy-steam-engine-rolls-through-east-texas/

Would've liked to have seen this but didn't know about it and it's a very long drive from the RGV to East Texas 

Thanks.. Nice restoration by UP!.. personally I prefer our own CPR 2816... :)

@hacsart thought you might appreciate this

https://www.kltv.com/2019/11/11/big-boy-steam-engine-rolls-through-east-texas/

Would've liked to have seen this but didn't know about it and it's a very long drive from the RGV to East Texas