[Released] Oso Draco Furo for Daz Dragon 3 [Commercial]

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
edited September 2019 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Excited about this little guy!

Featuring dforce hair fur and whiskers, along with a geoshell base fur to create a look that will work on many machines, these little scamps will steal your heart!

And because nothing is better than having to explain a joke:

Mustela putorius furo is the scientific name for ferrets, one inspiration for this critter. Furo is Latin for ‘thief’.

I hope people enjoy these cuties.

Post edited by Oso3D on

Comments

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I took one look and nearly screamed FERRETS!!! than I noticed the wings lol It's adorable either way, but have to ask... is it possible to use it without wings? *curious*

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

It’s possible, but it takes a bit of work and I don’t think it looks great (which is why I didn’t include stuff for it).

Steps:

Add wingless

Convert wingless torso to Iray

Copy figure’s Skin to Wingless Skin’s texture

On base fur, copy Skin texture to the wingless surface

Duplicate the Draco Fur and drag the copy to the Wingless in Scene display.

I‘M away from my computer but you may need to update the Surface Groups on that second Draco Furo item. You may also need to turn off the other surfaces on it (by setting Surface Groups to blank)

When I tested this the fur along the edges of the wingless skin looked... off, but maybe you will like it better than I did.

• This is really cute, something I never would have thought a dragon being morphed into

• You know, I looked at the promotion page "Here be Dragons", then looked at the products and went "So where are the dragons?"  Then eventually I clicked on this.  Really outstanding job.  Now one of the comics I do is a bout a shape shifting Wizard and Dragon, and actually this will fit right in so into the cart it goes.  And actually a dragon would have a ferret's personality so it fits.

Keep in mind you can grow out the horns and other dragon features. Doing so, I would hide the horns on the base and Draco fur and use a different texture for the horns.

You can also use the fur on other dragons; consider substituting dragon skins for fur color.

Jedijudd: I’ve been really inspired by JoeQuick and the Tane deer for expanding my concept of what you can do with morphing.

I was worried that I’d end up with a figure that was neat but incompatible with any other dragon content, somewhat losing the point of doing a morph rather than original figure. But furo plays nice with a fair amount of other stuff; this is honestly my second favorite product I’ve ever made.

(first place is otter. Love those guys)

• Awesome and cute little fellow!

AND he's a morph of the Dragon3! Which means all sorts of blends to make with him & the other Dragon3 characters! Woot!! laugh

Thanks Oso!

Carola O said:

I took one look and nearly screamed FERRETS!!! than I noticed the wings lol It's adorable either way, but have to ask... is it possible to use it without wings? *curious*

Well, if you really want him without wings, I suppose you could use this guy...wink

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited September 2019

I wanted a ferret, not an otter. so while Oso's otter is also adorable and on my wishlist, it isn't a ferret :) Not to mention that Furo isn't humanoid the way the otter man is :) Been hoping/waiting for a proper ferret for years, though this adorable Furo is more than likely going to end up in my runtime too sooner or later (like when I get my pay *cough* darn those sneaky thieves ;P ) :)

Post edited by Carola O on
  • SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

My first thought when seeing this is that it's adorable. I really want to see what different renders get made with it.

Definitely on my wishllist. :-)

I hope to do more furries eventually, so maybe I’ll get to a ferret...

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Damnit, Oso! Here I was all happy and set to say "Okay, I have everything I need for now, I can let the rest of the PA sale slide by." You made me open my wallet again!

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252

I seriously need a badger. Preferably European, and mostly realistic. I keep waiting on AM, but I think he's got other fish to fry.

I’m nervous making stuff that’s totally realistic.

Even as a little kid, my mom would ask ‘why do you only draw monsters?’

And I’d say ‘nobody can tell you it’s wrong’

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659

LOL, I could have used this a couple of years ago when I created flying blue weasles from an old Smith Micro weasle and some DAZ wings. Anyway, your critter is awesome and is in my cart! I love all the textures. 

Flying Blue Weasels.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 701K

Also note that if you look at the texture directory, there are a series of masks you can use to create a wide variety of your own skins.

Spots, belly, topside, go nuts!

edited September 2019

Also, the other dragon morphs (particularly the head) do blend well. And a small amount of curved horn can even give the illusion of ears. :)

The Dragon 3 poses will work, but you may have to adjust them somewhat because of the difference in the body shape from a more traditional dragon.

This is just a rough setup render as I work on the version that I want to use in my final image. But I like how she's turning out!

DracoFuro-v02.png
    800 x 640 - 396K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
    Oso3D said:

Also note that if you look at the texture directory, there are a series of masks you can use to create a wide variety of your own skins.

Spots, belly, topside, go nuts!

On that topic ... I noticed a few "fur density" and "fur length" maps in there. But I'm not familiar enough with the Dual Lobe shader to figure out where they should go?

Fur Density would go under 'Additional PR Hairs Density (cm^2)'

This is the basic 'how many hairs to make' parameter (in some products they may use PS instead, or in addition to). You can quickly increase the 'fidelity' of the hair by increasing the number associated with it, but... better save your work first; going too gung ho with this can really bog down your machine.

Fur Length goes under 'PR Generated Hair Scale'

Like with Density, you can just increase or decrease it overall by changing the number. There is some potential for slowdown with very long hair, because new segments are added as it gets longer.

You shouldn't need to mess with either of these things unless you are trying to do something weird. There are some slight variations in the fur length around the head between several furos, you can swap maps.

You could also create new maps, maybe overlay some symbols or something to add or subtract a little to make raised or lowered patterns.

Thanks, Oso. I was mostly looking at it because in my little character I wanted to make the horns furrier. When they stretch the mesh out the default setting was a little too sparse; so some extra density would be good. Then I thought I could play with the length map to try to add to the illusion by making the hair longer on the edges and shorter where the inner ear should be.

The easiest thing to try first is to boost the Additional PR Hair Density on the horns; it's a separate surface anyway, so you don't have to muck with maps.

If that doesn't look good (I'm thinking the horns that aren't protruding might look weird), then yeah, play around with maps.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited September 2019

Does this work ok with the wingless dragon?

Sorry just saw your answer to Carola, thanks.

Post edited by scorpio on

Oh, and a shout out to Jessaii ( https://www.daz3d.com/jessaii ), who suggested this product to me. ;) Thanks!

What effect does scaling the dragon have on the hair? If I scale it down say to 20% of the size you used when you created it, do I need to adjust hair density or length parameters to compensate for the overall size of the figure?

You shouldn't need to change anything, and I believe it should render more easily because fewer hairs are generated.

(I just tried it at 5% scale and it looks good, so... go nuts!)

Such a cute little critter!

Nice! I like how well you posed the draco’s claws on her fingers.

edited September 2019
    Oso3D said:

Nice! I like how well you posed the draco’s claws on her fingers.

Thank you. :) There is a huge benefit that Draco Furo is based off the Daz Dragon 3 product because it means all my poses for that figure work well as a starting point for the Furo too. They have to be adjusted a little, but just being able to use them to block out the posing helps a ton. Especially with all the bones in the neck and tail.

Post edited by JonnyRay on

It's one reason I really love working with existing models, even if they are morphed wildly; poses, props, outfits, plus all sorts of other morphs.

Folks have suggested creating original models, but... eeeenh.

I agree with you. For my buying habits lately, I look a lot more at the overall utility of whatever I'm buying. For a figure that may mean what other assets do I already have that could be used with it? For clothing it's typically about how easy it would be to customize the textures. I've bought way too many things (my DIM is approaching the 6000 mark!) that I only used once for one specific render. The more adaptable and useful an item is the more likely I am to buy it.

For instance, the fact that the pookahs were based off the dog were one of the selling points for me because I knew my dog poses would help me setup a scene faster.

edited September 2019

You can even dress the Pookas in little sweaters and stuff. Heh.

Post edited by Oso3D on